Forum | Bia2.com

Kimo I don't know which one U want to have deleted, give me the exact number of the post! so I wont remove a wrong one!

thanx so much for disagreeing!lol :)))

for the sake of disagreeing, despite sounding like a New Age follower, i personally don’t think that human brain has any limitations, I believe we are all part of the creator and as such, have the potential to be limitless, just like the creator. One needs to unleash those powers and to become limitless just like him/her/it :angel:

I believe in the limitations of the human brain, as powerful as it is! I do not believe that it commonly or normally has such utter functions!

I believe that man has the "limited" power to think, behold and learn! And then use the fruit of his thoughts in order to prevent or boost future happenings.

i agree with everyone who believes that a greater schematic fate preceeds us, although i also feel that all of the choices we make are a part of the bigger picture as well. it is only human to want to be in control of our own destinies, just it is human to have faith and believe in a greater cause. to me, fate and choice ultimately go hand in hand.

its the best of both worlds.

Guest Sina @ Rutgers University

Okay for any of you who have read the Qu'ran then you know that it contradicts itself. The Qu'ran speaks of instances of free choice and in other instances of preordained destiny (as in the case with Adam and the apple). So basically there is no right answer if you are going by what the Qu'ran says. You can't have both, it's either free will or preordained destiny. The two ideas are conflicting and cannot co-exist. In my opinion everything is free will.

Kimo I don't know which one U want to have deleted, give me the exact number of the post! so I wont remove a wrong one!

41087[/snapback]

I already did it 4 him! :)) :rolleyes: ;)

salam Sina jan,

what the majority of ppl have been saying here, is that it is a combination of the two; it’s the weighting that one associates to one or another that is the subject of this debate. The two ARE NOT in my opinion mutually exclusive and can indeed coexist; [ppl see my previous post re: examples of incidents where free will plays minimum or no rule]. I guess the reason that there are examples in the holly Koran supporting both views, not only is not contradicting, it indeed further strengthens the view that it is a combination of the two. I am kinda on border line, so id be more than happy for you to convince me otherwise by saying that it is 100% free will. :):):)

Okay for any of you who have read the Qu'ran then you know that it contradicts itself.  The Qu'ran speaks of instances of free choice and in other instances of preordained destiny (as in the case with Adam and the apple).  So basically there is no right answer if you are going by what the Qu'ran says.  You can't have both, it's either free will or preordained destiny.  The two ideas are conflicting and cannot co-exist.  In my opinion everything is free will.

42213[/snapback]

Believe it or not I joined this forum just b/c of this discussion. Although it seems as though the arguments have all been laid in the open, I just wanted to share my views on the matter, if anybody interested. I thought I would add in a totally different perspective. Although I thought Angel dissected the matter beautifully from a philosophical stand point.

But let me add in a biological or perhaps neurobiological standpoint. Looking at the question that was originally put forth, the extent of personal choice in our decisions, from this perspective is a bit complicated. First and foremost, when viewing problems from a scientific perspective destiny and fate play no role whatsoever. So although at first glance that might say that from a scientific perspective, then our life is decided solely by personal choice, however, such is not the case.

Our brain, just like any other machinary, responds to stimulas/cures received from the outside environment, and inside for that matter. So every action taken by our brain/body is in response to a cue. Unlike computer/machines however, our brain is able to adapt. It stores these information and is able recall and form a better deicision based on the previous experience. So in other words, our past experiences form, if you will, a schema of our decision making.

Lets dig down a bit more into the brain. Information processing and storage are all indebted to chemical and physical interactions. Transmission of nerve impulses, are really nothing more than opening of some sodium and potassium channels, well maybe a bit more complicated that, but still pretty simple. Of course, there are a lot other interactions and questions that have still remained unanswered, and will surely be unraveled as the advancement of science continues. But again it all boils down to movement of ions.

And this is really far-fetched but bear with me here. If in fact we are able to have a complete, thorough understanding of the brain, I mean all the details, down to the movement of every single ion, and we can follow all these interactions unfold, then we have the power to predict every action taken by an individual to every cue he is exposed to. Of course these are all theoretical, we will never be able to monitor all the cues an individual is exposed to, and if we miss perhaps even one of those stimulas our prediction will be rather flawed.

But the argument I'm trying to make here is that, first there is no such thing as destiny/fate. Second, there is no such thing as personal choice either. Our decisions are simply based on the brain processes in our brain. These processes are pretty complex, and that's why our personality is complex. The differences in individuals is firstly based on the structural difference due to genetic heterogeneity, and second, due to difference stimulas individuals are exposed to. Interestingly, if you follow the same train of thought, you would be able to realize that there is no such a thing as random.

If anyone interested, I think there was a book I read, that briefly talked about personal choice from a scientific perspective. Now, I don't exactly remember what book it was, :rolleyes: , I believe it was a book called "concilience," it's a fascinating book regardless.

Anyway, that was my two cents worth.

Oh and I just noticed couple of grammatical errors, I appologize.

mersi humounator. :D

:b

very new perspective you show. I read this before when you first posted it...but I had absolutely no idea what to say....

I can't imagine that we're all driven by our brain to do what we do, with no personal choice and no fate.....because if that were the case, God (if you believe in God) must be playing a puppet show!

Guest Guest

hey houmanator!:)

wow! thanx for joining in! that just made my day! :clap::clap::clap:

it is indeed a very interesting view and very scientific, kinda what i was hoping for :b

based on my understanding, u are saying that every action that we take is in response to an environmental cue. for argument's sake, if we were to clone indentical ppl -thus they would have similar neuro-chemical substances in their brain- separate them at birth, and then subject them to similar stimuli and environmental cues, based on ur reasoning, are u saying that they would react exactly the same to a given situation? and are u saying that a given individual cannot alter their so-called "destiny" by changing their decision making pattern? so it is all based on what nature has equipped us with and our past experience and an element of choice doesnt have a role to play?

it'd be great if u could clarify these points for me!! :b

thanx!! :b

Believe it or not I joined this forum just b/c of this discussion. Although it seems as though the arguments have all been laid in the open, I just wanted to share my views on the matter, if anybody interested. I thought I would add in a totally different perspective. Although I thought Angel dissected the matter beautifully from a philosophical stand point.

But let me add in a biological or perhaps neurobiological standpoint. Looking at the question that was originally put forth, the extent of personal choice in our decisions, from this perspective is a bit complicated. First and foremost, when viewing problems from a scientific perspective destiny and fate play no role whatsoever. So although at first glance that might say that from a scientific perspective, then our life is decided solely by personal choice, however, such is not the case.

Our brain, just like any other machinary, responds to stimulas/cures received from the outside environment, and inside for that matter. So every action taken by our brain/body is in response to a cue. Unlike computer/machines however, our brain is able to adapt. It stores these information and is able recall and form a better deicision based on the previous experience. So in other words, our past experiences form, if you will, a schema of our decision making.

Lets dig down a bit more into the brain. Information processing and storage are all indebted to chemical and physical interactions. Transmission of nerve impulses, are really nothing more than opening of some sodium and potassium channels, well maybe a bit more complicated that, but still pretty simple. Of course, there are a lot other interactions and questions that have still remained unanswered, and will surely be unraveled as the advancement of science continues. But again it all boils down to movement of ions.

And this is really far-fetched but bear with me here. If in fact we are able to have a complete, thorough understanding of the brain, I mean all the details, down to the movement of every single ion, and we can follow all these interactions unfold, then we have the power to predict every action taken by an individual to every cue he is exposed to. Of course these are all theoretical, we will never be able to monitor all the cues an individual is exposed to, and if we miss perhaps even one of those stimulas our prediction will be rather flawed.

But the argument I'm trying to make here is that, first there is no such thing as destiny/fate. Second, there is no such thing as personal choice either. Our decisions are simply based on the brain processes in our brain. These processes are pretty complex, and that's why our personality is complex. The differences in individuals is firstly based on the structural difference due to genetic heterogeneity, and second, due to difference stimulas individuals are exposed to. Interestingly, if you follow the same train of thought, you would be able to realize that there is no such a thing as random.

If anyone interested, I think there was a book I read, that briefly talked about personal choice from a scientific perspective. Now, I don't exactly remember what book it was,  :rolleyes: , I believe it was a book called "concilience," it's a fascinating book regardless.

46504[/snapback]

:):):):):):):):):):):) :huh: :huh:

Guest Guest_Kimo_*

gouys a short story :)

-----------------------

There's a ship on the sea , laden with people and goods. Suddenly, a big storm comes and the ship sinks

After a while ... everything calms down

On the shore of a remote island, one of the ship passengers finds himself alone on an island. The man recalled what happened and became very sad and hopeless ... and started to complain .. why all this happened to me , i lost my money and my companions and i now i dont know what to do in this isolated place

he forgot that he was the only one who survived from the storm ...

After many days of waiting , he lost the hope of getting out from this place , there isn't any trace of human existance in this place.He decided to build a small wooden house .. days pass by. He started to get used to this place and this life , and he believed that this would be his life till he dies

The small house started broadening and getting filled .... Every day he was adding a new thing to it .. and it didnt remain that temprorary cottage that was built just for sleep

One day .. The man was walking around his island... He saw a smoke rising in the sky ,then ran fast toward his house ... the smoke was rising from that side ... and when he reached he found his house on fire !!

the man collapsed and started to complain again ... ! why all this is happening to me !! wasn't it enough that my ship sank and my compansions had died and i lost my money ... now this house is burning out !! ?

he stayed like that for hours .. desperatly watching his house burning out and turning into dust

then he turned his face to the sea ... and saw the ship that he have been always waiting for to show and save him from his lonleyness .. he saw it coming closer and closer to the island ... he coudn't believe what he saw

when he went on the ship .. his first question to ask was : how did you find out my place ? they answered : its true that this is a remote island and its not near the ships path and no one can reach it ... but you were clever when you used the smoke sighn to lead the ships to you .. otherwise you had to spend all your life on the island

the man tried to explain but because of all the events that accured made him stunned of what happend , and didnt knew where to start from so he remained silence... and thanked them with a smile on his face :)

if you want to visit this man ... you'll find him sitting in his garden reading a newspapr ... in a big fancy house ... and there's a sign infron of it saying " if you became informed of the fate , you'll choose the reality "

end of story :bye:

My friend, first of all welcome to our forum!

Although I can see a direct relation in your biological argumentation regarding the matter of ”the personal choice”, I cant see exactly how you base and derive your argument against the existence of fate or destiny as a ”possibility”, from the very same theory?

Since ”the personal choice”, unlike the so called ”destiny”, is mostly related to the living and conscious creatures!

Do you mean that the entire cosmic scheme is in fact a chain of actions and reaction originated from the "brain"?

Are both the living and nonliving elements a matter of the ”survival of the fittest”?

There is no random selection even concerning ”objects?

Or do you accept that there are elements in time and space that are not bound by the function of the human brain?

You might very well have pointed this out, but it’s been not noticed by me!

Thank you in advance!

:bye:

If anyone interested, I think there was a book I read, that briefly talked about personal choice from a scientific perspective. Now, I don't exactly remember what book it was,  :rolleyes: , I believe it was a book called "concilience," it's a fascinating book regardless.

46504[/snapback]

Angel jan,

You're absolutely right. Anyone who can come in terms with the theory I stated, would in fact be far from a believer in fate and personal choice, but not necessarily God. You can still be an agnostic and accept such views. But nonetheless, in regards to the puppet show, I see your point, and all I can say is...well, I agree. It is quite a puppet show according to this view. But not any ordinary puppet show, rather one that is in a constant turmoil, change, and simply put evolution.

But let me backtrack in the evolutionary timeline a bit. Do you think such view, lack of fait and personal choice, was predominent in the pre-human evolutionary history. In other words, do you think animals and other organisms abide by such environmental and genetic cues? If so, what would make us humans so especial??

Thanks

mersi humounator. :D

:b

very new perspective you show. I read this before when you first posted it...but I had absolutely no idea what to say....

I can't imagine that we're all driven by our brain to do what we do, with no personal choice and no fate.....because if that were the case, God (if you believe in God) must be playing a puppet show!

47244[/snapback]

Thanks shazdeh khanoom jan. Yes, basically our decisions are based our experiences and genetic makeup.

In regards to the argument about the identical twins. Such would be the case, if and only if the twins are exposed to the exact same environmental cues. But such can never be shown, as there are always different cues to which the twins will be exposed to, EVEN in the womb.

hey houmanator!:)

wow! thanx for joining in! that just made my day! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

it is indeed a very interesting view and very scientific, kinda what i was hoping for :b

based on my understanding,  u are saying that every action that we take is in response to an environmental cue. for argument's sake, if we were to clone indentical ppl -thus they would have similar neuro-chemical substances in their brain- separate them at birth, and then subject them to similar stimuli and environmental cues, based on ur reasoning, are u saying that they would react exactly the same to a given situation? and are u saying that a given individual cannot alter their so-called "destiny" by changing their decision making pattern? so it is all based on what nature has equipped us with and our past experience and an element of choice doesnt have a role to play?

it'd be great if u could clarify these points for me!!  :b

thanx!!  :b

46504[/snapback]

:):):):):):):):):):):) :huh: :huh:

47446[/snapback]

To answer your question succintly, as I said in my reply to Angel, anyone who wholeheartedly believes in this theory, would probably have no belief in fate. Since from a scientific point of view, fate has no place. But of course, there is absolutely no way for me, or for anybody else for that matter, to prove the absence of such an idea.

The cosmic that we perceive and understand is perhaps only limited to our capacity. This is a widely accepted idea of course, nothing new. I believe however that both the living and nonliving elements are a matter of "the survival of the fittest"; both from a biological and geological point of view.

I just realized this all depends on your definition of fate. If by fate you mean...divine providence, which is what I've assumed all along, then yes this theory refutes that, simply b/c it's a scientific pov. The fact is science has not been able to disprove god, but neither hand religion been able to prove his existence. But, nevertheless science has been able to explain a tremendous numbers of phenomenons that have been attributed to the existence of God; so in this sense science has the upper hand.

On other hand, if by fate, you mean some force that is not in our control, well then according to this theory, all our life is based on such force. A force of cues and genetics.

With all this though, one wise man once said something to the order, "even if there is no god, there is a need to create one." That wise man was Gandhi. People need God, they need the belief in fate, otherwise this world is everything that they think it is, a sham, dark, and hopless place.

again sorry for any syntax error

My friend, first of all welcome to our forum!

Although I can see a direct relation in your biological argumentation regarding the matter of ”the personal choice”, I cant see exactly how you base and derive your argument against the existence of fate or destiny as a ”possibility”, from the very same theory?

Since ”the personal choice”, unlike the so called ”destiny”, is mostly related to the living and conscious creatures!

Do you mean that the entire cosmic scheme is in fact a chain of actions and reaction originated from the "brain"?

Are both the living and nonliving elements a matter of the ”survival of the fittest”?

There is no random selection even concerning ”objects?

Or do you accept that there are elements in time and space that are not bound by the function of the human brain?

You might very well have pointed this out, but it’s been not noticed by me! 

Thank you in advance!

:bye:

46504[/snapback]

47577[/snapback]

Thank you my friend for clarifying these things for me, I truly appreciate it. :th

The slight problem I still have regarding the application of such theory is that it just more or less replaces the deciding role of a higher conscious ”designer” with responses of the genetic makeups and experiences of the elements to an environmental cue. The reason why I choose to call them elements, is that you include even the nonliving beings in a group wherein members on different levels compete for survival.

In my opinion what this ”deterministic” theory does is to: replace the role of God with biological factors!

I choose to call it ”deterministic” because based on what you say it not only rejects the total ”random twist of some kind of a deciding factor” but it also includes the non-living elements as direct players in the Darwinian game of ”survival”!

However, the ”random” variable is still there even in this equation, even though in your first post it was rejected via this very theory!

What kind of force is that ”locates an element in a chain of events” or if you want to call it ”environmental cues”?

Is that ”coincidence”? or is it a conscious action? Either planned by a ”grand designer” or decided by a worldly element based on its/her/his genetic makeup and past experiences?

hey Houmanator jan! :):)

thanx for ur prompt response! :)

one more question! given that scientifically we can alter the genetic make up of an individual, the DNA and all, is it possible to change one's so called "future" or destiny by altering the genetic make up?

in addition, by changing the neuro-chemical substances in the brain - through drug abuse and/or neuro-transmission techniques- is it possible to change one's future?

this theory kinda scares me cause it makes me feel at the end of the day, we are nothing more than lab rats :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Guest BehnoushY

Hmm...I'm not sure because sometimes the choices you make have a great influence on your life but then you'll never know what would have happened if you make another choice...maybe the same thing would have happened anyhow.

I'm not sure if I believe in fate but I do know that everything happens for the best...so maybe that is kinda fate...I guess I'll never know!

There are numerous evidence regarding the involvement of genes in human behavior. Take for example, what's called trisomy XXY or XYY. Both these conditions have been correlated with violent outbursts, and infact a higher than normal ratio of individuals in prison carry this trisomy. Your questions was however whether we can change someone's future by chaning their genetic make up. Well that's something that can be done with an embryo, however unlikely with a full grown adult. Since in an adult, this involves genetic engineering, and whether that's gonna change the already developed human....frankly it's really complicated whether this is practical, and I'm not the authority on this. But theoretically if this was in fact possible, then sure.

In regards to your second question, yes definitely. Drug abuse, or even chronic alcohol abuse have severe irreversible impacts on the brain that result in alterations in one's personality, as well as damage to mental aptitude.

It is indeed a scary theory. But if true, it's something we humans have been living with for generations, and since it's hard to swallow majority will deny such deductions. So at the end, it shouldn't change anything. :)

hey Houmanator jan!  :)  :)

thanx for ur prompt response! :)

one more question! given that scientifically we can alter the genetic make up of an individual, the DNA and all, is it possible to change one's so called "future" or destiny by altering the genetic make up?

in addition, by changing the neuro-chemical substances in the brain - through drug abuse and/or neuro-transmission techniques- is it possible to change one's future?

this theory kinda scares me cause it makes me feel at the end of the day, we are nothing more than lab rats :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

47828[/snapback]