Forum | Bia2.com
TheWorldOnFire

Great Books to Read

:) Everyone has read something in there life, some good stuff and some bad. Why don't you share your reading experience here by listing your most fav books. Heres my reccomendations (so far :p ) not in any order:

1. Gates Of Fire - Steven Pressield

2. Knowledge of Angels - Jill Paton Walsh

3. The "Alexander" Triology - Valerio Massimo Manfredi

4. Last of the Amazons - Steven Pressield

5. Tides of war - Steven Pressield

6. The Conference of the Birds - Farid Ud-Din Attar (one for all you Persian scholars LOL)

Thats it so far, I'll post more if i think of anything else.

Cool topic!! :)

Farsi:

Dehghan e Fadakar/ Choopan e Dorooghgo: ketab e dabestan e iran…okheyyy ……yadeshon bekheir :)

Dayi Jan Napelon: Iraj Pezeshkzad

Bamdad e Khomar: Fattaneh Haj Seyed Javadi

English:

Harry Potter series: J.K. Rowling

Stupid White Men: Michael Moore

Rage of Angels: Sydney Sheldon

The Firm: John Grisham

Pride and Prejudice: Jane Austen

Bleak House: Charles Dickens

A Streetcar Named Desire: Tenneessee Williams

Guest BehnoushY

I love this play Shazdeh Khanoom: A Streetcar Named Desire...it's a GREAT play. And Pride And Prejudice is very nice too!

From Farsi books/novels, I love Kolbehaye Gham...I donno the author's name though. It's very nice and touching. I also like Dalane Behesht.

Attar’s Mantiq al-Tayr is an essential classic!

and Pezeshkzad’s ”Daayi jaan Napoleon” is one of my absolute favourite Iranian books! It’s a masterpiece with full-fledged characters and coherent story with a base in the reality and history!

A book I recommend is ”Deraaznaaye Shab” by J. MirSadeghi

I love this play Shazdeh Khanoom: A Streetcar Named Desire...it's a GREAT play. And Pride And Prejudice is very nice too!

Hey Behnoushy joonam :) !! I’m glad we share the same taste in literature ;) ! Jane Austen is totally awesome and A Street car… such a sad and yet powerful play… Thanx for introducing those Farsi books sweetie, gotta check ‘em out…..

Pezeshkzad’s ”Daayi jaan Napoleon” is one of my absolute favourite Iranian books!

Oh boy… I could go on forever about Dayi jan… I think Pezeshkzad is by farrrrrrrr the best author I have ever encountered in terms of describing the characters in such a vivid and humorous manner…. My absolute favorite character is Asadol lah Mirza… horny a$$ and flirtatious as hell, but at the same time he seems to find a solution for every prob with his charm and charisma ;) … momentttttttt.....

yeah, totally agree khanoomi! If there was ONE fictive character I would like to meet in the real life, it’s Asdollah! His persona has influenced me a lot! And another proof of Pezeshkzad’s multidimensional characters is that you at the end (and even during the story), see a glimpse of ”sadness” and ”scars” behind the confident and humorous facade of Asdollah!

Couldn’t agree more hun :) , although I didn’t pick up the ”sadness” and ”scars” behind his character.. I thought he pretty much had it all together …. perhaps I should reread it, thanx for the info bro, u seem to be damn gooooooodddddddd at reading b/w the line and a good judge of characters;) …

thank you hun! ...And likewise!

Well, the first time I read it was when I was 8 and since then I have reread it each and every year (not to mention watched the excellent TV-adaptation)!

The part I’m referring to is at the end of the book, where he brings home Saeed and while getting drunk looses his ”mask” and reveals some secrets (old wounds) about his ”past” …and really the fact that his current facade is to hide his vulnerable personality! The fact that the current Asdollah first emerged after his wife’s infidelity and for the purpose of an indirect pay back…

Guest BehnoushY

A great novel I read a few months ago was called "Dead Girlfriend"...it wasn't long but it was cool!

I'm reading "Red Dice" now...instead of studying! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I don't read much fiction like I used to, since I have to read more fact literature for work and studies! This is the latest I've read, a new take on the history of art!

Mirror_of_the_World_7873.jpg

Here i have added some more books to read,

Arms and the Man - George Bernard Shaw

Alice in wonderland - Lewis Carroll

Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle

As You Like it - William Shakespeare

Do you know about any iranian books in english?

This little beauty had been residing on my book shelf for a few years, collecting dust. I always find it hard to get the motivation to pick up any fiction (though this is evidently semi-autobiographical). This was clearly an influence on Hank Moody's character in Californication...

51%2BLxcYZgBL._SS500_.jpg

hehe, I feel the same, the older I get the harder I get to get myself through fiction! I have always had a tough time with sci-fi and fantasy in text form, now all fiction! I need more senses stimulated when being told a story, text alone no longer does it for me. It is nowadays a nightmare to get through pages of ambience descriptions!loool

I know what you mean pourya jan. I'm an avid reader of science, but not science-fiction. The problem with being a student of science is that sci-fi becomes a means to analytically discredit lol. I have a soft-spot for media that alludes to scientific phenomena and interpretation, rather than absolute discourse. This is one of the reasons I was able to endure Lost, where as Star Trek and those sorts are full of scientific anomalies that build a wedge between me and the story lol.

The fiction I've enjoyed the most is either of suspense or dark-comedy. Prior to "Women" the last fiction I actually completed was the Millennium trilogy from your fellow Swede Stieg Larsson, which I did enjoy.

don't get me wrong though, I like sci-fi! as long as the conditions are clear, in lost I was put under impression that it was not sci-fi! that it was all natural! but in Event or Fringe for instance we know that this is the condition and logic of this world. You adjust to it. however I like to see and hear sci-fi! not read it so I can imagine it! I love visual effects, that for me makes the sci-fi and fantasy genre! and reading about all wonders isnt the same as seeing for me.

You guys put out a great must-read book list in here. I'll read some of the books that you've mentioned in the thread. Thanks for sharing!