Forum | Bia2.com
Bia-Ped

Memory Lane

Thanks bro. In my early teenage years I had some fabulous times along with this band, they literally rocked the industry back in the days! :D

Good old days! :wub:

fantastic bro, one of the biggest musical inspirations in my life!

Pourya jan, I'm sure as a fan of theirs from the beginning that you probably frowned upon their reinvention around the late 90's. Unfortunately, Modern Talking had very little success in the UK, but fortunately through the powers of satellite TV, i had the luxury of German channels such as Viva which had MT on permanent rotation! The first video I heard was Brother Louie (feat Eric Singleton), but it was this "Sexy Sexy Lover" that really got me in the groooooove!!lol After which, I acquainted myself with their entire back catalogue!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5rzLS8d8Ck

Yes I recall you telling me that some time ago Pedram jan, well they are one of the most influential acts in my life. The duo certainly had a huge success formula marrying Bohlen's music with Thomas' voice. The released six albums in three years! Bohlen was a businessman and he knew that he and Thomas had their fights and made sure to put at as many albums as possible before they broke up. He had many songs recycled! Interestingly most of the material on MT's early albums had been released preformed by other artists but no one had ever noticed them! Bohlen recycled the best for the six albums. This combination of a blond guy with track suit (Bohlen confessed that the only reason he wore them is because Adidas endorsed him, he didnt care what he wore unlike Thomas) playing guitar and a dark long haired guy dressed in fashionable outfits really did strike a chord. These two have not managed to have such a success without the other.

I loved their album cover designs (first 6, not the post-return portraits) and this artwork in my opinion is perfect in its way of symbolising the encounter of their two styles in a simple but poetic way! MT visualised!

1240859030_1moderntalkingthefirstael3.jpg1240859051_2moderntalkingletstalkasx5.jpg

modern_talking-ready_for_romance-front.jpg1240859023_4moderntalkinginthemiddjh4.jpg

Modern%2BTalking%2B-%2BRomantic%2BWarriors%2B-%2BThe%2B5th%2BAlbum%2528Bulgaria%2529.jpgIn-the-Garden-of-Venus.jpg

I especially like the "Let's Talk about Love" cover!! Do you think that their winning formula perhaps also contributed to their downfall pourya jan? From what I hear, there was a reticence to deviate from it.

I have to say as far as a chorus goes, these guys were masters!!

since they both times quit when being top-selling there was really no downfall for them except for the fact that they could never agree on anything and both times their union was only commercially motivated! yes let's talk about love is also my fave (even musically), its reflects the aesthetics of the video Cheri Cheri Lady! also their singles were all covered nicely. After the reunion their album covers turned into portraits, like all covers on Bohlen's solo project "Blue System".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNvUS-6PTbs

hehe, I had mine almost like that one year! :D

gay?lol on the contrary pedram jan, both have been such ladies men with numerous marriages behind :D

You know out of the six first albums (notice how they numbered them on the covers as if they knew it would be a limited number) there are not many songs I dont love! unfortunately few of the songs were heard by those who discovered them after the comeback. I only have them o original vinyl and if they get ever remastered again I would love to have them on CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J7V8DYjgbg

I can't say i've sampled the back catalogue to that extent pourya jan, are the albums relatively filler-free then? I may purchase them at some point, have the duo completely ruled out any further collaborations? I wonder how they would sound in a more adult-contemporary setting!hehe You never know!

lol actually Thomas Anders solo career is filled with adult contemporary songs! hehe There are however some covers he has done which I enjoy, like this of ROXETTE's! I love his voice, its one of my alltime faves, but it was MT's music flavour which made it reach its full potential!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzEwJitV9EA

The six early albums are completely filler free Pedram jan, they released two albums each year and it was mostly songs Bohlen had produced already and he basically took the best of the best, retrofitted to Thomas voice and filled the six albums. The music is softer in the early albums which more beat oriented in the latter of the six. The six post-comeback albums however are different, they got 15-20 songs on them and most fillers! Bohlen himself confessed that he has no longer energy to keep MTs material top notch and in style that fans demanded and therefor he wanted to quit the second time while Thomas wanted to continue. Nothing rules out a reunion as Bohlen is a businessman and can any day decide that he needs some cash. He has been one of Germany's biggest pop producers with many 8o's and 90s acts on his roster. He also used the comeback to really sell himself as main judge in German idol, released memoires and an animated movie based on his life and basically milked the cow. But five years ago he stopped, three of the studio musicians he had been working with since the 80s suddenly came and claimed to be partly responsible for most of the material. but not credited, since they got paid to keep their mouth shut. They even proved to be even behind the high-pitched vocals and one of them was the main voice that carried the choruses in Blue System, while Bohlen pretending to sing! So they became an own act "Sytems in Blue (to mock Blue System)"and released two album til one of them died. Dieter released an album with his own voice which sounded horrible even musically! so there might be some truth to that they even created some of the songs. The remaining two of Systems in Blue recently teamed up with a Thomas Anders sound-alike and released this track!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsrTH3_hJL8

Well if Bohlen is an astute businessman, hopefully he can exploit the big void that exists currently in regards to pure POP! I can't think of a time more relevant for them to reform, a time when we are desperately in need of something to get POP back on it's tracks, so to speak.

It's funny how as you mention, all album's were calculatedly numbered as to prophesies the limited life of the band. It is in stark contrast to their comeback in which they labelled their album "Back for Good"!lol

I didn't realise Bohlen was a judge on German Idol, i'm surprised he hasn't taken any of the aspiring artists under his wing and collaborated with them.

he did in fact take all of them under his wings, I think it was even in their contracts that they would be signed to his label, and they sold very well! that is why he around that time quit MT, to focus on the new acts. however the truth is that he had lost his touch and one could hear that even in MT's last albums. Like I said he even confessed that he went for quantity rather than quality, the creator was less and the business was more. I personally do not wish a reunion to be honest, since I know that if it happens the music would be even lower in quality and most likely in an entire different style. in other words ruin the complete image of the duo. Bohlen has always dreamt about conquering the American charts however he never managed to export his music! Many of his songs even refer to such conquest! and album names such as "Hello America(Blue System)" or even "America (Modern Talking)" are proof of how badly he wanted it and flirted with that market! He even produced for Bonnie Tyler, Dionne Warwick and Chris Norman in hope that it would open doors for him but it never did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZBQqSGzBMw

His last attempt to build a new duo was this disaster! this is the kind of songs he now creates, there were even some similar tracks on MTs last albums, so you can understand why I do not wish him to resurrect MT!lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHKRTIqmn6Y

MT never broke through in the UK either pourya jan. I remember their comeback period thinking to myself that this type of music would never sell here, with the exceptions of one-hit-wonders from the continent, that brand of pop rarely does. It's funny because UK acts often have similar ambitions to break into the US, but rarely do. Two of our biggest domestic successes the past decade Robbie WIlliams and Oasis, just could not crack that market despite having HUGE HITS elsewhere in Europe. The truth is, most of the successes from Europe in the States were generally spontaneous and by pure chance. Most recent examples are Coldplay and Adelle, who i would never have imagined would break into the North American market.

lol even Bohlen starred in the video, he is the German Timbaland! I've never understood those producers who insist on being in every promo vid, of every song they produce. It's a vanity project!

Man that Bonnie Tyler vid brought back memories, she had one hell of a voice!

lol!

Here is one of my favourite songs, from a little known Finnish band who married heavy guitars with a melancholic pop sensibility. It was actually the side-project of famous Nightwish lead-man Tuomas Holopainen. Unfortunately they never produced more than one, simply perfect, album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrzZifw5kcs

Edited by Omega

Now that is one Swedish group which accidentally had a huge success in US and then the rest of the world! That only by a local radio station playing them out of personal initiation!

Haha really? Were they as successful inside Sweden too? I can see Robyn in that lead singer, there is a resemblance there.

Roxette were successful as a duo and solo acts in Sweden but its when getting their "The Look" played in US radio and reaching number one with that and the soundtrack for Pretty Woman that they got big internationally. I think they changed name to Rockers in Singapore or some country cuz it meant something like constipated!loooool Well maybe the hair resembles but Robyn aint got nothing on Fredriksson vocally! Strangely I have come to develop a dislike for both Roxette and Robyn through the years ...

This is one of their early hits, I recall dancing to this in school discos!lol loved that chorus ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw2ZrRx6cqA

Hahaha, didn't even recognise the lead singer in that vid!!! looks totally different. Never was keen on the guitarist/vocalist though, he always seemed intent on stealing the limelight away from the singer.

Oh for sure, the Roxette vocalist has a much more powerful vocal than Robyn, i meant solely on looks. Mind you, Robyn is a very underated vocalist. What she doesn't have in power she overcomes with charm and melody, like a Swedish Ellie Goulding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCtvP0pdPoA

Back to Roxette, i used to enjoy this track from the early nineties..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx2iLOvP0rM

hehe, its because Per Gessle is the Bohlen of Sweden!lol Funny you mention her as the lead, originally it was not the case, They both being vocalists shared the lead in albums so its not strange that he kept himself in the foreground on stage and videos. He is one of the richest men of Sweden and single-handedly makes the economy of his small home-town go around via paid taxes! He started off as a lead in an extremely popular late 70s boyband and is even today very successful as solo artist and in the reunited boyband.

Lol, wow i didn't realise he was jointly responsible for lead vox. For me at least he was more comical than credible, at least as a vocalist.

I heard this track on the radio today, brings back memories. I remember my grandmother being so fond of this song, it really is a timeless, beautiful CLASSIC! One of only a handful of successful classical cross-over HITS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtivSTZrezc