Forum | Bia2.com
Sign in to follow this  
pourya

TV-SERIES (no spoilers!)

The dilemma for me was whether i could enjoy a show of fantasy genre, since I've never really cared for it. I didn't like LOTR films, fantasy games either, so I feel like i am somewhat incompatible with the genre lol. If though, this series is able to wow me visually and engage me with good characters and stories that delve deeper than the generic fantasy themes, then perhaps i could get into it. I see it has a very solid cast, and I have not heard a single bad word said about it so I'll give it a shot for sure.

Your dilemma reminds me of my Mad Men dilemma pedram jan. I really did not care about the period and everything about that cultural period but it somehow managed to turn me over and even influence my own style! Now that to me shows that its not what you experience that matter but how! I have now giving Walking Dead a chance since I really find zombies ridiculous!Lol But watched a random ep and was really hooked! so got the BD

Speaking of Spielberg, watched the long pilot of his new series "Falling Skies" and gave up. Really low production value!

Started watching another new teen series "The Nine Lives of Chloe King", not bad even though its kinda rip off of "Percy Jackson and the Olympians"!

Sad to see Outsourced Cancelled, gonna miss this show that had begun to be really entertaining and gaining fan base! Crap that it wont get BD treatment!

http://www.amazon.com/Outsourced-The-Complete-Series/dp/B0055SNHQ6/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1308804641&sr=1-3

I've just finished Generation Kill and really enjoyed it. Hardly any action, mostly an examination of soldiers and the human condition. It avoids any political statement, and the dialogue is fantastic. Looks absolutely stunning in BD too!

I'm hoping to watch the HBO mini-series "Mildred Pierce", starring Kate Winslet, have you seen it pourya?

I actually gave it a skip Pedram jan, as much as I like costume drama this looked a bit too sentimental and dramatic for my taste.

I'm a big fan of Kate's, so I will watch even though the subject doesn't appeal to me that much. It comes courtesy of HBO though, can't remember that network ever doing a bad TV show!?lol

I loved Kate 10 years ago in "Quills", but ever since then she has lost weight and delivered one pale role after the other. Strangely become asexual even in sexual roles. I am sure its a nice production, but I suspect it being a bit chewy.

It was her performances in Titanic, Quills and The Life of David Gale that did it for me. Very versatile actress.

By the way pourya jan, just checked your blog, that poster for Brave is spellbinding!!

It sure is, I am really looking forward to this one as it has all the elements that I love and they have said that its gonna be the darkest pixar story so far!

Well in pixar we trust, they are yet to make a bad movie. This surely sounds like their most challenging and ambitious project yet, I hope they can pull it off with all the charm and aplomb of previous productions.

It rather looks like Stonehenge in the background beyond the title, with those circular megaliths. I love how the bright colour scheme is shadowed by dark cloud, it's really magical. Judging from this poster alone, we could be in for quite a visual treat. Even the obligatory 3D may serve this film well.

I recently saw Kung Fu Panda 2 pourya jan, in 3D. Having been a fan of the original in it's 2D presentation, the 3D presentation this time round gave me no further enthusiasm for the film. Some parts were obviously impressive, but did it leave me with a greater appreciation? No. I may not be as militant in my objection to it as Kermode lol, but I am still yet to be won over, at least as an argument to succeeding 2D.

Edited by Omega

Well I too have seen it, both in 2D and in 3D and in my opinion its still far superior in 3D. But like I've said before its a personal preference, how you want to experience things. I have a friend who loves sitting in front rows, one who loves sitting to the outer left and I myself can not sit anywhere else than last row in the middle!lol anywhere else I can not concentrate on the full screen! And I have friends who basically feel that cinema ruins the movie experience! So each person must find own way to get the maximum out of a movie. I however like options, the more options the better in my opinion. I love to be able to choose and really do not get why some people insist that 3D should vanish from the face of the earth! I mean they have the choice to enjoy what they love in 2D, why not giving us a choice as well? Some like to read papers online, some like a hard copy! same with music! So I really do not get why some regard options bad!

Hehe absolutely, this is precisely why i insist my objection is only to 3D succeeding 2D. I have no problem with both issues. It is then up to the individual to decide which format works best for them.

As far as cinema going goes, I sympathise with your friend who doesn't like the cinema experience. I used to feel the same way, until I found the right cinema complex. It is all about getting the environment right, some cinemas are flawless, some are hotbeds for sh*tty surroundings and disruptive people. Let me tell you, the most local cinema to me has rather small screens, never get the volume right and is always full of kids intent on ruining the thing for everyone else. Now I travel further, and pay more, but for that I get the best audio/visual experience I've ever witnessed and seats that you don't want to vacate once you've sat in them lol.

hehe, we often go in the afternoons in order to catch a movie without a full crowd. That has a downside, when we were to see RIO the sound of the movie started in time but the images were still of commercials!lool we waited 5 minutes hoping that it would be fixed but it didnt, I who sit right under that small opening in the wall climbed up and saw that no one was operating the damn machine! a couple went out and found no one in the corridor and returned, meanwhile the movie was still playing in audio!Lol then suddenly someone came and it all went pitch-black for fife minutes! a guy tried to go up but fell and hurt himself!lol mind you, thank god for the light function of the mobile phones!lol finally after 20 minutes the movie restarted correctly and we were able to see what it was the we had been hearing all this time!loool :haha: :))

btw, some of the Brave characters!

http://screenrant.com/brave-poster-character-images-pixar-sandy-120778/

:haha: Sounds like a priceless cinema experience pourya jan. The irony is that when I was young kid I was one of those trouble makers that used to make the experience unpleasant for everyone else lol. I was really sheytoon as a child I tell you lol.

Hehe cool characters, the bottom-left one looks like William Wallis hehe.

Finished Millennium s1. Its kinda strange to watch this for the first time after having watched recent years edgy shows like "Criminal Minds" and even "CSI"! Because back then when this came it was first of its kind and its style has since then paved way for many shows with similar themes. So the effect on me is not as extreme as it could have been if I had seen it with my 2000 eyes, now I'm too jaded to be shocked. And watching the documentary its interesting to see that it really shocked and upset even the cast and crew!

Hehe exactly pourya jan, the show is now almost 15 years old so that controversy and edge is not as fresh as it was. Many shows have since expanded on it. WHat I think Millennium has though is a strong protagonist and a nice mystique regarding the actual group themselves. S2 takes on a different direction, more focussed on the Millennium group themselves, the S2 finale is something truly special. One of my favourite finales in TV history.

Finished season 2. It was obvious that Carter wasnt much involved in this season which took another direction. not really feeling the developments of this season! Too many wacky episodes a la X-files, the devils in a diner ep really pissed on the main factor I liked about this show which was its demon character. and the group's story was just ... I think you had to see this back in the 90's in order to feel the charge of its paranoia. Now with movies like Da Vinci Code in rear view this feels just so ... !! I missed the darker and rougher tone of the 1st season and cast dynamics. the criminal investigations and interaction. Its funny how they frequently tried to showcase the new possibilities and functions of the computer in this show!lol Especially in an episode when Frank wants to go to bookshop for books about a certain topic and Peter says that they have the unique ability to search the info via the computer! Its also funny how Carter said that its not about supernatural phenomenons and he has no supernatural ability, while the entire show is about supernatural phenomenons!lol

Now off to season three, heard that its the weakest and if its weaker than this I dont know how bad it can get!

Well S3 is a return to the S1 format, as Carter was reintroduced due to pressure from fans. I have to say though, I found the S2 finale to be very strong. There is a new character introduced in S3, who I wasn't particularly keen on, but she plays a nice counter to Frank. What do you make of Terry O'Quins role pourya jan? I read an article once how the producers of Lost were convinced of O'Quin due to his role in Millennium.

Pedram jan to be honest I do not like any of the actors' performances, the Terry O'Quin character is just like his X-file character, irrelevant to me really. He is never really introduced properly so I just saw him as someone who came and went in eps. Might as well not have been there! I had actually seen s2 finale before, that and the Mikado episode which really attracted me back then and still is the strongest ep in my opinion- But since I couldn't care less for his apathetic wife I didn care about her death either! overall I think I must have seen this back then in order to appreciate it.

btw Pedram jan, any chance you have taken your forum name from that show? :D

dont know if you read that del Torro article or not but here is the lastest news on the man: HULK!

http://screenrant.com/guillermo-del-toro-incredible-hulk-tv-show-mcrid-121714/

Hehe sure did pourya jan! Let me tell you, I was OBSESSED with the prophecies, biblical narratives and wider themes of the show, so much that my band at the time even named our debut EP "Owls and Roosters"lol, as a homage to the show, which conveniently worked metaphorically with our themes.

Wow that sounds awesome!! I would usually greet such a revival of the show with scepticism, but with Del Toro in charge then this could be really interesting! Hope they get the casting right!

Hehe, thought so! After hearing" I am the alpha and omega"! :D I actually share your love and interest in the occult and prophecies, one of the reason I loved carnivale, and Millennium would definitely have had a similar impact on me if I had seen it when it was originally shown. Because it kinda demands that panic and paranoia of pre-millennium era to fully work.