Forum | Bia2.com
Sign in to follow this  
GLTitan7

Hamed Haddadi

Hamed Haddadi

(born May 19, 1985 in Ahvaz) is an Iranian professional basketball player with the Memphis Grizzlies of the National Basketball Association. He plays at the center position and is 2.18 m (7'2") in height. Haddadi is the first Iranian to play in the NBA and is the second to play professional basketball in the United States after Behdad Sami.

unfortunately he has been sent down to the D-league two times this year to play for the Dakota Wizards. This time it seems he will possibly stay there for a long a** time or the remainder of the season. The Griz, are stacked right now with big men...and haddadi has only been featured in 4 games this year, playing some garbage minutes. He has only avg. 3.5mins and i think 1.3pts, which isnt bad.

Reading most blogs the main issues are...the transition into the NBA (different pace), the new culture that is america, he is out of shape (at least according to the griz), he needs to add some muscle which is possible, bc he has a good frame, and finally he needs to refine his offensive skills...

Regardless of what happens to him, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders, a very nice, considerate guy that i feel proud to be playing in the NBA (though by his mins totals u cant even say he really has played at all) representing IRAN. He is the outlet for potentially more iranian basket ball players. THis yr in basket ball for Iran was significant, bc they have one of their players from their youth b-ball team about to be the first iranian to be offered & accepting a scholarship to play D1 basket ball at Rice University (forgot his name though)...

i have heard hes gained some more weight, recently got a new haircut...so hopefully the transition will be pleasant?

Edited by GLTitan7

Haddadi was sent down to the D League in Feb for the second time this season (i was nervous, it felt like it meant that it could be the end for him), but he was brought back partially due to the promotions for the games in LA... u know the persian appreciation nites..., darko got injured again, and he slowly has been given more minutes (ritefully so, i mean wut did the grizzlies hav to play for late in the season they finished 17-65 or something like that, why not play ur rookies and develop them) regardless his stat sheet looked good, they stopped throwing him in their for GARBAGE Minutes... and he inspired a 4th quarter comeback against golden statei on the 30th of march... his season is over with, but they are continuin to condition and work on his raw offesnive skills, hes a promising prospect still...

by mid-march he was gettin more minutes, this helps him to adjust to the game better, but he seems to hav problems with fouling which is typical for a raw prospect who hasnt realli been playin competitive ball like in the NBA.

Haddadi Game Log for 08-09' season

the game against GSW was sick

stat line was

10 mins (all in the 4th quarter), 10 pts, 8 rebounds, 1 block, 1 foul, 1 tournover

hes not a bad free throw shooter, and his defensive game is good (will get better), his conditionin needs to improve... he is 7'2'' 250lbs but he needs muscle esp upper body, hopefully some good cardio mixed with leg work outs will polish his game...

regardless im proud, hes a great ambassador, nice, charismatic, humorous and humble being hes representin us well, no matter how long he plays in the NBA...

ONe thing is for sure, he has opened a new gateway, and he has an experiencce in which he can help spread in Iran. Haddadi playin the NBA will cause more Iranians to play ball, but still soccer will be number one... yet bball qwill improve in IRAN

He is yet to get a real chance to shine in NBA. Ain't gonna be easy, but still I am delighted to see an Iranian playing in NBA, even if a few minutes once in a while!