Forum | Bia2.com
Sign in to follow this  
reginashwartz

Religions in Iran

Hi guys, I was wondering, what are the different religions in Iran?

I know that the major religion is Islam, but what is Zoroastrianism?

Can a Muslim also believe in Zoroastrianism?

I'm sorry if I offend anybody, I'm from Malaysia and I know very little about Iran.

Hello Reginashwartze,

I hope I can answer your question and am glad that you are interested about Iran.

Zoroastorianism is the original religion of Iran still being practiced today. It is noted to be the first monotheistic religion in the world. Despite being called a polytheistic or dualistic religion, actual Mazdeic Zoroastorianism is strictly a monotheistic religion ( Zurvanism, another old iranian religion, was a dualistic religion). Zoroastorians believe in only one God, one all powerful universal force, of all good and happiness. The Zoroastorian name for God is Ahura Mazdaa, but had different variations of that name such as Mazdaa, Yazdaa, Yazdaan, Baga, Ourmazd, etc. The prayer houses (churches) for Zoroastorians are called Fire Temples (Atash Kade). Fire is the most holy aspect to Zoroastorians, this being not because they worship the fire, but it was the symbol of light, cleanliness, and purity. Zoroastorians believed that fire was the closest thing to Ahura Mazda. When the angel Surosh came down to Zoroaster (the prophet of Zoroastorianism, Zartosht in farsi) he gave Zoroaster two things, the tree of life and the holy fire, which must be lit forever. That is why the fire in the fire temples never go out (if I am not mistaken).

There were variations of Zoroastorianism. The Original Zoroastorianism which was practiced during the Acheminid dynasty and before and still practiced today, and the Zoroastorianism practiced during the Parthian/Sassanid dynasties. The Zoroastorianism practiced during Parthian/Sassanid dynasties was still monotheistic, but becuase of Greek and Roman influences many aspects of Zoroastorianism, such as the Yazatas and the Amesha Spentas ( Amshaa Sepentaan) became more angelic creatures, when originally they were really essences and the Daevas became demonic creatures when originally they where sins. For example take Druoga, which was a sin of lying and doing drugs then became the demon of lying and doing drugs.

Zoroastorians have a three rule guidance philosophy which is the complete essence and root philosophy of the religion which are: Good Words/Speaking (Goftar e nik), Good Thoughts (Pendar e nik or Andishe e nik), and Good Behavior (Kerdar e nik). They also believe that everyone has a guardian angel/spirit known as Faravahar which also after the person dies becomes that Farvahar.

Zoroastorianism impacted the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) alot and have many similar aspects; such as they believe in: A version of Adam and Eve (Mashia and Mashiane), A devil type creature of all evil (which also was originally a sin) (Angru Manyu or Ahriman), angels, the afterlife, and the end of the world. Compared to the Abrahamic religions though, God in Zoroastorianism is portrayed much more calmly and peaceful than to Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

To answer your second question, I can't see why not believe in Zoroastorianism while being of a different religion. I am a Muslim but use Zoroastorianism as a philosophy for me and believe Zoroastor as a prophet. To tell you the truth, Zoroastorianism is a part of Iranian culture today. Iranians have integrated Zoroastorianism with Islam for themselves, for example we use esphand, which is a type of essence put into the fire, and still celebrating traditional Iranian holidays such as Nowruz, Yalda, and Mehregan, etc.

Other religions from Iran include:

-Zurvanism

-Mazdakism

-Maniism

-Anahitaism

-Mithraism

-Babism

-Baha'ism

I hope this answers your questions and I hope I answered correctly. Sorry if I left something out or made any errors; please feel free to correct me.

Edited by arash_zlord