Forum | Bia2.com
Sign in to follow this  
Ninty

Roots

One of my friends told me that us Iranians are loosing our roots especially those outside of Iran. The language becomes weaker due to living in a different culture, a lot of the traditions are pushed aside in favor of other traditions in the country they currently live in. The Iranian people outside of Iran will have forgotten all about their roots in a few generations to come.

I'm not sure whether I agree or disagree. I kinda see what his point is though. What do you think?

i think ur friend has a point...iranian people (at least where i live which is in sweden) are wellknown for being so good at integrating and adapting to where they are living...which means making an effort to learn the language and customs of the culture, etc etc.. so i can def. see what he means when he says that in a few generations many iranians will have forgotten alot about their roots..i can def. see it happening =/

but......! iranians are also a very proud people, so..its hard to tell what it will be like in the future

Edited by ~freeiran~

i think ur friend has a point...iranian people (at least where i live which is in sweden) are wellknown for being so good at integrating and adapting to where they are living...which means making an effort to learn the language and customs of the culture, etc etc.. so i can def. see what he means when he says that in a few generations many iranians will have forgotten alot about their roots..i can def. see it happening =/

but......! iranians are also a very proud people, so..its hard to tell what it will be like in the future

It makes me sad though, cause it's important to remember your roots. When things get better in Iran, I hope that a lot of Iranians that moved out because of the revolution will move back to Iran and help build it up to the great country it once was. At least that's what I'm gonna do. So untill then I will do whatever I can to learn as much as possible.

It makes me sad though, cause it's important to remember your roots. When things get better in Iran, I hope that a lot of Iranians that moved out because of the revolution will move back to Iran and help build it up to the great country it once was. At least that's what I'm gonna do. So untill then I will do whatever I can to learn as much as possible.

yeah i know, makes me sad too =/ i agree, its very imp to remember ones roots.. i admire that you want to move back one day and help build up the country.. i think a lot of ppl will, hopefully the day when things get better in iran will come soon.

One of my friends told me that us Iranians are loosing our roots especially those outside of Iran. The language becomes weaker due to living in a different culture, a lot of the traditions are pushed aside in favor of other traditions in the country they currently live in. The Iranian people outside of Iran will have forgotten all about their roots in a few generations to come.

I'm not sure whether I agree or disagree. I kinda see what his point is though. What do you think?

You see one needs to bear in mind that in order to succeed in any new society is to integrate into the new environment absorbing a reasonable amount of its culture and life standards, otherwise you will find every step of the way of your daily life a total disappointment and failure, mainly cuz you'll still think the same way you did back in your country, your expectations of life and people surrounding you will become the biggest flop of your entire life...

In other words you better accommodate much of the respective culture for which you have chosen to reside, while maintaining your Iranian roots and culture to a logical extent and nothing beyond and above it!

You see one needs to bear in mind is that in order to succeed in any new society is to integrate into the new environment absorbing a reasonable amount of its culture and living standards, otherwise you will find every step of the way of your daily life a total disappointment and failure, mainly cuz you'll still think the same way you did back in your country, your expectations of life and people surrounding you will become the biggest flop of your entire life...

In other words you better accommodate much of the respective culture for which you have chosen to reside, while maintaining your Iranian roots and culture to a logical extent and nothing beyond and above it!

I believe there is a fine line between integration and total integration. A total integration would mean you give up everything from your former country. I have seen examples of Iranians giving up on traditions such as Nouwruz, and sometimes even their own family.

If I ask Iranians if they know of jashn-e tirgan, they will answer no. If I write کیر تو کونت to them, they wont even know that I insulted them. But then again, if they don't live in Iran, what's the point in knowing all of this? What's the point in even be an Iranian if you don't live in Iran? You might as well pretend you are the nationality of the country you currently live in.

It's true what you say though, that you need to integrate yourself into the culture you have settled in. But isn't it enough to just learn the language of the country? Why start learning about the culture, etc.? Is it really necessary to start adopting a whole new culture. Is it to be able to relate to other people? I don't think that's necessary.

@~freeiran~, yeah hopefully. What do you mean by free Iran in your name by the way? If you are talking about the Islamic government, then I support that 100%! :p

کیر تو کونت

Although one would suggest that in order to put things in perspective a much better option is to refer to some folks:

ریدم به طرز فکرت گوساله نفهم

If you read in between my lines you would have noticed that I had stated:

to integrate into the new environment absorbing a reasonable amount of its culture and living standards

And:

you better accommodate much of the respective culture for which you have chosen to reside, while maintaining your Iranian roots and culture to a logical extent and nothing beyond and above it!

Only learning the language of the country you live in is just insufficient! how can you even relate to anything or anybody around you should you keep on avoiding and ignoring their culture? It's like how Alectoris chukars dip their head in snow thinking that because they can't see the rest of the world, they cannot be seen by other either! :haha:

Learning and getting acquainted with other cultures does not imply giving up your own culture, I know many iranians abroad whom after over 30 years of living outside of iran still call themselves "Beegaane" as if they've been forced to live abroad!

Only learning the language of the country you live in is just insufficient! how can you even relate to anything or anybody around you should you keep on avoiding and ignoring their culture? It's like how Alectoris chukars dip their head in snow thinking that because they can't see the rest of the world, they cannot be seen by other either! :haha:

Learning and getting acquainted with other cultures does not imply giving up your own culture, I know many iranians abroad whom after over 30 years of living outside of iran still call themselves "Beegaane" as if they've been forced to live abroad!

But would it be necessary to adopt christmas for instance? From what I know, the majority in iran don't celebrate it, even before the Islamic revolution. Is it necessary to include christmas in your life if you move to a western country?

What about movies, music, etc.? A lot of people having forgotten about those categories and adjusted to the movies and music that the country they moved to has to offer.

If I married a girl who wasn't Iranian, what would then happen? Would my kids learn anything about the Iranian culture? The language? Would they even be interested? Would I start losing interest in my Persian heritage because my new family has no connections to that? I guess you need to take that into consideration when talking about integration. :o

@freeiran: امیدوار آن دولت دیوانه در ایران تمام میشه بعدش یک ایران آزاد میگیریم

Edited by Fattah

Ey baba... Khoda az dahanet beshnaveh !

I think that Iranians integrating well into society abroad is actually part of their culture, a natural curiosity and respect that is an exemplary characteristic of many Iranians. I don't personally believe that integrating well is by any means an inpingment to the prolonging of ones roots and culture.

In debating any issue its always wise to look at ourselves....We are young iranians abroad, mostly "westernized & fully integrated" i believe, but are hear on an Iranian forum. That in itself speaks volumes about the desire to connect with our roots. You step into the house of most Iranians living abroad and it is abundantly clear that most hold their culture, iranian identity and roots close to their hearts.

I dont think Iranians are like this because still they speak Farsi and they like there music and they are proud to be Persian...But the Indians in Dubai are different they dont speak hindi and they dont like there own movies and music.....And i hate like this people who will forget what they are....

I think this is in our blood and we will remain the same.

I guess for people that are out of the country it really depends. Some people go and live near a persian community and they have the opportunity to interact with other persians therefore it's easier for them keep their roots. However some people move to random locations of a country not having any interactions with other iranians therefore having a harder time keeping up with the culture. But some people also try to keep their culture and language even though they're out of the country. I saw one post in this forum about a person (not 100% sure if persian) who has been studying farsi for 3 years and now he's asking if someone could help them with the speaking and I was really happy that there are still people like that. Anyways to answer the main question I believe it really depends on person to person and the environment that they are living. The important thing is that if we find someone persian who is not living near other persians, it's our responsibility to help them be reminded of the culture and language we have.

I'm not Iranian, but my heritage origin is not of the country I live in.

I find it so interesting to find this topic in here because it is something I believe occurs in all communities where migration takes place. Despite being born into this country I live in now, I was raised in the culture of my parents. This was my native tongue so naturally when I attended English speaking schools, I found it very difficult to cope with. Slowly but surely I learnt English but at the cost of my mother tongue degrading in eloquence. My command of that language is pretty much restricted to only common every usage and nothing spectacular. I guess this degrading of my heritage has occurred to and even worse degree in my younger sibblings. They can't even speak the original language.

This saddens me, and my parents even more. The thing is that they miss out on our grandparents. Not being able to communicate to them, they miss out on all the wealth of knowledge they possess and can never really know. I guess I realised early on the importance of my languages and feel fortunate for this.

Edited by etuate