Forum | Bia2.com
Sign in to follow this  
Mademoiselle

Ready, Steady...Cook!

Hello Everyone!

I hope you are alll enjoying your summer up until now and have some exciting plans for it!

Introducing to you the cookery thread. I'm not sure if we already have one but here it is if we don't!

I really really want to increase my skills and knowledge for cooking. My mum is a great cook and I've been helping her out in the kitchen lately to improve my cooking too. I would find it very useful if we shared knowledge here and maybe I can learn more.

:air_kiss_wft:

Guest triple555

hope your summer is going well too sahar joon! :air_kiss_wft:

i'll try to participate but my favorite thing is to perfect tahdig!! :clap2: and pour ghormesabzi on top of it!!! :wub:

Yeah it would be nice if the fellow members would contribute to this thread, however we've had similar threads in the past and everybody promised to contribute (including Triple555) though no one ever did! :))

I'll help make this thread a success.....I cook a lot and my grilling skills are top notch. Just ask for recipes, keeping in mind I don't like Persian food, and I'll do my best to help ya'll out with good ol American grillin!

Guest triple555
Yeah it would be nice if the fellow members would contribute to this thread, however we've had similar threads in the past and everybody promised to contribute (including Triple555) though no one ever did! :))

i did contribut a mandarovordi recipe once but i don't know what you're talking about keano :p

to make up for it i'll post some pastry recipes i've used in the past within the next coming week or so :friends:

here are some related threads sahari :friends:

i didn't know about this one actually:

http://forum.bia2.com/index.php?showtopic=...ecipe&st=20

this one contains a recipe for meigoo polo:

http://forum.bia2.com/index.php?showtopic=943&hl=recipe

oOH my mandarovordi recipe is in this thread!!

http://forum.bia2.com/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=cooking

Amelia, you need to make up for a lot of things, especially these past few days! :giggle:

Mage mashgh anjaam daadan ro doost nadari? :))

Courtesy of the Food Network:

Tacos Carne Asada

Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

Show: Food 911

Episode: Apres Ski Party

2 pounds flank or skirt steak, trimmed of excess fat

1 recipe Mojo, recipe follows

Olive oil, for coating the grill

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

16 (7-inch) corn tortillas

Shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce, for serving

Chopped white onion, for serving

Shredded Jack cheese, for serving

1/2 cup Pico de Gallo, recipe follows

2 limes, cut in wedges for serving

Lay the flank steak in a large baking dish and pour the mojo over it. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 8 hours, so the flavors can sink into the meat. Don't marinate the steak for more than 8 hours though, or the fibers break down too much and the meat gets mushy.

Preheat an outdoor grill or a ridged grill pan over medium-high flame (you can also use a broiler). Brush the grates with a little oil to prevent the meat from sticking. Pull the steak out of the mojo marinade and season the steak on both sides with salt and pepper. Grill (or broil) the steak for 7 to 10 minutes per side, turning once, until medium-rare. Remove the steak to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes to allow the juices to settle. Thinly slice the steak across the grain on a diagonal.

Warm the tortillas for 30 seconds on each side in a dry skillet or on the grill, until toasty and pliable.

To make the tacos, stack up 2 of the warm tortillas, lay about 4 ounces of beef down the center, and sprinkle with some lettuce, onion, and cheese. Top each taco with a spoonful of the Pico de Gallo salsa and garnish with lime wedges. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.

Mojo:

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 jalapeno, minced

1 large handful fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 limes, juiced

1 orange, juiced

2 tablespoons white vinegar

1/2 cup olive oil

In a mortar and pestle or bowl, mash together the garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, salt, and pepper to make a paste. Put the paste in a glass jar or plastic container. Add the lime juice, orange juice, vinegar, and oil. Shake it up really well to combine. Use as a marinade for chicken or beef or as a table condiment.

Yield: approximately 1 1/4 cups

Pico De Gallo:

4 vine-ripe tomatoes, chopped

1/2 medium red onion, chopped

2 green onions, white and green parts, sliced

1 Serrano chile, minced

1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 lime, juiced

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 teaspoon kosher salt

In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients together. Toss thoroughly. Let it sit for 15 minutes hour to allow the flavors to marry.

Yield: 2 cups

Here's a couple recipes from one of my favorite Chefs, Chef Robert Rainford who's on Discovery Home and hosts his show from the great city of Vancouver:

Grilled Lamb Racks

Original Recipe: Chef Robert L Rainford

Article by Tyler J Smith

1 Full Rack of Lamb

3 cups Bread Crumbs (For extra crunch, use fine mix Japanese Panko bread crumbs in place of regular bread crumbs)

2 Tbsp Rosemary

1 Tbsp Thyme

1 ½ Tbsp Dijon Mustard

TT Salt (coarse)

TT Black Pepper (freshly cracked)

Even though worldwide, lamb is the most consumed meat, (second to pork) in North America it has gotten a bit of a bad rap - largely because of lack of preparation know how. Before WW II people didn’t travel as extensively as they do now and therefore were not exposed to as great a variety of foods as they are now. With the feeling of a more accessible globe and more open immigration policies, our North American palate has been luckily influenced and infused with fabulous flavors from around the globe such as lamb. Young chefs eager to see the world through food experience are traveling abroad and learning new techniques, coming home and sharing incredible new dishes. Lamb popularity is on the rise in North America. High in protein and when trimmed, relatively low in fat, lamb is a great choice for the modern foodie.

The Rainford Method:

If you’re a first time buyer of lamb, I would suggest that you buy your meat from a reputable butcher. Ask for a rack that is “frenched”. This will ensure that the rack has been cleaned of access fat, the thin silvery membrane (silver skin) that surrounds the ribs removed and the ribs themselves separated. It is crucial that the silver skin is removed. If it is left on, your meat will be chewy when cooked and will not be “fall off the bone” moist.

If you’re willing and ready to trim the silver skin yourself, take a sharp boning knife and gently place it under the silver skin. With long sweeping motions remove excess skin. When done correctly, the lamb flesh will be exposed and it should look smooth.

Once your meat is prepped and ready to be cooked, chop rosemary and thyme together. The essential oils from the fresh herbs will not only infuse the air, but will infuse the delicate meat with flavor. Combine all dry ingredients in bowl.

Brush meat with Dijon mustard. This not only adds a great punch of spice, but also will help the rest of ingredients stick to the meat.

Using your hands pat on dry ingredients.

Place lamb in fridge for an hour.

Rainford Tip: Putting the meat in the fridge allows it to “set up”, absorbing flavors and cooling so that breadcrumbs adhere to skin more efficiently.

Pre heat BBQ with both burners on high. Using a “two tiered” heating method, turn one burner down to med hi. Turn the other burner off. Place lamb meat side down on the hot BBQ side. Sear meat to a beautiful caramel brown color. Turn meat over and lower grill to med low (around 350 degree F).

Once meat is cooked to your level of desired doneness, allow meat to rest for 5 to 7 covered. This will redistribute juices through out the meat.

As you can see, this is an easy protein to prepare and cook. It is a great crowd pleaser for dimmer parties, but also a must addition to your food repertoire. For a wonderful winter accompaniment, serve this with my warm potato salad.

Warm Potato Salad

Original Recipe: Chef Robert L Rainford

Article by Tyler J Smith

5 large Yukon Gold Potatoes

2 large Dill pickles (finely diced)

1 Red Pepper (finely diced)

2 Green Onions (garnish)

½ Jalapeno Pepper

¼ cup Mayo

1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard

2 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce

2 Tsp Champagne Vinegar

TT Salt (fine sea salt)

TT Fresh Cracked Black Pepper

I love potatoes and the Yukon Gold has become one of my favorites. A Canadian original developed at the University of Guelph, this hearty and disease resistant potato is a cross between a North American white potato and a wild South American yellow-fleshed variety. I use it for it’s smooth buttery texture and taste. It also makes great mashed potatoes!

The Rainford Method:

Boil potatoes until fork tender. When cooled enough to touch, cut into bit size pieces

Cut all other veggies and pickles. Place in large stainless steel bowl.

In a separate bowl, blend together wet ingredients.

Toss all ingredients together. Adjust your spices adding in salt and pepper. Serve immediately while still warm or cool in fridge for cold potato salad.

Cacey, we want you to make a film clip where you cook or grill something and teach us how to! hahaha

Cacy in the Kitchen!

That shall be called the name of the show!

Guest triple555

my friend and i were watching the food network one time and they covered a story about these brownies that are made in taxes

they are mixed with all different kinds of tastes!

ex tastes: red wine, rose water, red pepper!

so they talked about the red pepper one and supposedly the native american Aztecs thought chocolate should be mixed with red peppers!

and so my friend suprised me by ordering it for me and it tasted soooo good! you eat the chocolatiest brownie then get a kick of red peper at the end!

cheshaye adam gerd mishe mogheyi ke mikhoreh!!

talking about being dramatized: i never get enough of this clip

Amelia you should watch the movie "Chocolat" if you ahvent already! the whole movie is mouthwatering and stimulates senses! :;):

my friend and i were watching the food network one time and they covered a story about these brownies that are made in taxes

Do these brownies offer a $600 refund rebate when you file your 1040!

Guest triple555

Pourya that movie i've been wanting to watch for quite a long time thanks for reminding me!! :air_kiss_wft:

lool cactus what do you mean?

are you talking about drug brownies ? :haha:

Pourya that movie i've been wanting to watch for quite a long time thanks for reminding me!! :air_kiss_wft:

lool cactus what do you mean?

are you talking about drug brownies ? :haha:

Read that line and look for the slight typo smarty pants!

Guest triple555

cacy man dozarim kaje bishtare mavaaghe :haha:

i'm being serious i don't get it what do you mean :friends: please tell me

Guest triple555

i didn't qualify for that special rebate this year! :haha:

Do these brownies offer a $600 refund rebate when you file your 1040!

Were they using shredded tax returns as a main ingredient Ms. Amelia!

Guest triple555

looooool how embarrassing! :)))

that was my southern accent talking or typing! :haha:

i meant Texas! :bl

Sorry Ameli Pameli but :)) :)) :)) :))

Oops sorry I can't control it :)) :)) :)) :))