Forum | Bia2.com
Sign in to follow this  
Siamak

Death penalty

Death penalty  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or against the death penalty?

• For
    • Against
    • Not Sure
    • Depends on the Crime
    • Should not be used on a Woman
    • Rotting in Jail is more cruel
    • Not Suitable

Capital punishment, or the death penalty, is the execution of a convicted criminal by the State as punishment for crimes known as capital crimes or capital offenses. The word "capital" is derived from the Latin "capitalis," which means "concerning the head"; therefore, to be subjected to capital punishment means to figuratively lose one's head. Historically, the execution of criminals and political opponents was used by nearly all societies both to punish crime and to suppress political dissent. Among democratic countries around the world, most European and Latin American states have abolished capital punishment while the United States, Guatemala, and most of the Caribbean as well as democracies in Asia and Africa retain it. Among nondemocratic countries, the use of the death penalty is common but not universal.

In most places that practice capital punishment today, the death penalty is reserved as a punishment for premeditated murder, espionage, treason, or as part of military justice. In some countries with a Muslim majority, sexual crimes, including adultery and sodomy, carry the death penalty, as do religious crimes such as apostasy, the formal renunciation of one's religion. In many retentionist countries drug trafficking is also a capital offense. In China human trafficking and serious cases of corruption are also punished by the death penalty. In militaries around the world courts-martial have imposed death sentences for offenses such as cowardice, desertion, insubordination, and mutiny .

Capital punishment is a contentious issue. Supporters of capital punishment argue that it deters crime, prevents recidivism, and is an appropriate retribution for the crime of murder. Opponents of capital punishment argue that it does not deter crime more than life imprisonment, violates human rights, leads to executions of some who are wrongfully convicted, and discriminates against minorities and the poor.

800px-Death_Penalty_World_Map3.png

Use of the death penalty around the world (as of 2005/06).

██ Abolished for all offenses (87)

██ Abolished for all offenses except under special circumstances (11)

██ Retains, though not used for at least 10 years (25)

██ Retains death penalty (73)*

*Note that, while laws vary between U.S. states, it is considered retentionist for statistical purposes.

I want to know the views of the whole world on capitol punnishment!

Although I'm against capital punishment! I also think some people deserve to die!

Dictators, Mass murderers, Religious preachers, people who are rapist and they send them to jail and as soon as they get out of jail they rape some one else, psycho killers... Cannibals ( if they kill to eat but if they eat corpses then it's ok! :))) )... Priests, mullahs, religious extremist, suicide bombers ( well they are going to die anyway! )...

I believe in term of crime, prevention is much better then punishment! But in some cases is the matter of kill or being killed!

I'll add some more later on! :Amelie_wft:

P.S: Paris Hilton, britney spears and some other margarine, untalented artists!

against.

1) i don't like the whole "eye for an eye" theory.

2) I think it's more torture to be locked away in a cell with no sunlight away from family and friends....but then that's just me.

Depends on the Crime: As much as I want to say ”against”, there are some crimes of such inhumane magnitude that no other punishment seems fair enough! Hardly even death! When evil is driven beyond any benefit of doubt and redemption!

An eye for an eye.

If not excersied by the government people will start implementing it themselves and you end up in a vicious circle in which more and more people die.

Its easy to say I'm against capital punishment untill a loved one is raped and murdered and their body dumped at some roadside like a piece of rubbish.

Then you have have to look in the eys of the courpse of your loved one and ask your self "should the person who did this be allowed to live?".

Depends on the Crime (6 votes [50.00%]) Percentage of vote: 50.00%

I think it does depend on the crime as well as the trial system. The crime must be proven beyond doubt. I don't believe in saying whoever has carried out ... crime will automatically be killed, circumstances also need to be taken into consideration and an able and fair justice system.

I am totally against death penalty to criminals. Even they should not be tortured. They should be given strict punishment corresponding to their crime which physically,mentally and emotionally naturally torture them. This propaganda is perfect as per my perception.

Edited by heronfisher

^^^

Sort of agree with you!

Depends on the Crime.

An society's intention should not be to seek revenge on the person. They should "exterminate" them from the community to prevent the individual from repeating the crime. Putting them in jail would mean that all our tax money will go towards (feeding, clothing etc) them :lol:

Society shouldn't be so quick to put to death individuals. However, keeping a maniac in solitary confinement because he's just too dangerous to be allowed to mingle with other prisoners can be just as cruel and unusual as killing him. Yet in the case of a person who kills without remorse and continuously defies the rules and gets into trouble at prison, which makes him a threat to other prisoners, it doesn't seem cruel to lock him up in a dark cell. After all, it would appear that he brought it upon himself. On the other hand, who wants to keep a anti-social sociopath alive in an already overcrowded prison. You can make good arguments on both sides but at the end of the day you still need to make an example out of a raging lunatic murder so other sociopaths think twice before committing the same kinds of offenses.