Forum | Bia2.com
Sign in to follow this  
MeehanDoost

Salaam or Dorood? Which to Say?

The Parsi way to saying hello is Dorood, and the Arabo-Farsi way of saying hello is Salaam. Dorood literally means Salute and is a way to give respect to a person that one meets. I had heard about the origin of the word "Salaam" which is said to mean peace, but has deeper historical roots. The below article reinforced what I had heard earlier. What are your thoughts?

http://www.iranchamber.com/literature/arti...age_history.php

Modern Persian language or Farsi (Arabic pronunciation of Parsi) as spoken today consists of a lot of words of non-Iranian origin. Some modern technical terms, understandably, have been incorporated from English, French and German and are recognizable, but Arabic has corrupted a major part of the language by replacing original Parsi words. What Ferdowsi worked so hard to preserve is finally being lost.

Another example is the word "Salaam" which has been borrowed from the Arabs and is used by Iranians as a salute when two friends meet each other, instead of the Parsi salute "Rouz-e-gar Neek" and "Dorood". In Arabic "Salaam" means Peace but no Iranian is aware of its meaning or origin. The Arabs who lived as a tribe were always at war with each other; they always had their sword ready by their side. When they came close enough to each other they had to call out "Salaam" meaning I come in peace otherwise he was considered an enemy who had to be killed. Not replying to a Salaam, even among the Iranians who do not know that the word means peace, is considered as a sign of enmity.

actually now people are using more of the original farsi. Like now i hear more "noroozetaan khojasteh baad" rather than "norooz maabaarak", for me this is a good sign. I'm really glad that now we are using more of our originall language than the foreign substatutes. Like now i here people (incuding me) say more "dorood" and "saapaas" rather than "salaam" and "mersi/mochakeram"

i always find it amusing when my iranian friends greet each other with salaam when they have no connection to Islam, As-Salam is one of God's name, The Peace, and by greeting others with it you are affirming your unity as one in the ummah.

Doroud is correct ! Salam is arabic !!!

i always find it amusing when my iranian friends greet each other with salaam when they have no connection to Islam, As-Salam is one of God's name, The Peace, and by greeting others with it you are affirming your unity as one in the ummah.

It doesn't show unity with the Umma. The historical reason for the word Salam is something different (which I explained in the first post in this thread).

No, Salaam comes from Shalom, arabic and hebrew are both semitic languages.

shalom alechom for jews is salam aleykom for muslims.

Just like Allah and HaEloah are the same, al being the definate article in arabic and ha being the definate article in hebrew with ilah and eloah meaning G-d.

do not kid yourself with thinking that's the historic meaning, it's 2 sentences from a website.

if i ever walk in the house and say dorood my family will just look at me funny :p

its just that everybody's so used to salam and dorood is more "ketaabi"

idk

if i ever walk in the house and say dorood my family will just look at me funny :p

idk

Yes but Doroud is correct ! we should to use it !

idk

lol

No, Salaam comes from Shalom, arabic and hebrew are both semitic languages.

shalom alechom for jews is salam aleykom for muslims.

Just like Allah and HaEloah are the same, al being the definate article in arabic and ha being the definate article in hebrew with ilah and eloah meaning G-d.

do not kid yourself with thinking that's the historic meaning, it's 2 sentences from a website.

It's not just from that website. There are numerous explanation of it.

When two countries say "peace" to each other, it obviously means that they are scared of attacks from each other, and that they enter into peace in order to avoid war. That is the same exact thing with the word "salaam" but in a much smaller context. When two people say that, under the historical meaning of it, they were worried that the other tribe or person would attack, and therefore offered peace in order to avoid any confrontation.

Salaam...99% melat Iran ba samemiyat loghat "Salaam" estefadeh mikonand va hargez feker nemikonan keh Arabist ..hamantor 100% melat Iran loghat "Telephone" estefadeh mikonnad va hich kari nadarn keh keh in loghat englisiest

I honestly believe that today we must set aside our prejudice and move on in very important issues ... to use Salaam or Dorood it all depends to what kind of group of people or friends we are dealing with; however whenever we are address our nation, we have to use Salaam as the majority of Iranian using the word of Salaam and they really don't care that the word is Arabic...as they use the word of Telephone and thousands other English, French, Russian, German and other words mixed with Persian Language. Also we shall never forget that many Iranian their first language is Arabic and these kinds of arguments may offend them.

I say salam....and frankly don't plan on changing, because then we'd have many many words to change. Salam is just the most common one.

And if we shouldn't use any arabic words, we shouldn't use any english or french words that have found themselves in the farsi language either. But then how much of the farsi language will remain as it is today?

We may as well also get rid of the alphabet...as that too is arabic!!

When one says Iran is the land of Aryans, it doesn't mean that person is racist or believes in the ethnic-racial superiority of the Iranian people. It simple means that as Iranians we have an Aryan heritage, which has been mixed with various non-Indo-European racial groups. Same goes for the term Dorood; one doesn't say it out of spite or hatred of the Arabic language. Our national language is Parsi (Farsi) and we should strive to use Persian words when we can. Hence, I fully support using Dorood in place of Salam. If someone says salam to me, I don't get offended. Eventually people will adapt to the use of Dorood, especially when the educational system in Iran reforms to accommodate for more Iranian culture elements rather than Islamic ones.

Edited by Name Man Namie