Sign in to follow this  
shugs

Free or Determined?

Freedom & Determinism  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Outlook on life:

• Free (Libertarian)
    • Pre Determined
    • Some thing in between i.e. we are free to choose BUT we have a pre-set path (Soft Determinist)

Erm this is the first time im starting a poll... so if i ballsed it up please may one of the admins give me a hand :)

Ok so it goes like this:

Free (libertarianism): We are free to choose what we want to do (complete freedom of choice i.e. Free Will). We do not have a pre-set path... set by God or causality. This is supported by the 'Adam & Eve' story that we have the freedom to choose to defy God (When Adam took the 'Forbidden Fruit'). Or the great philosopher Plato who is the origional libertarian.

Pre-Determined (Hard Determinism): We have no actual freedom of choice, everything is Gods grand plan OR heavily swayed by our previous actions (Causality). Supported by Aristotles theory of Causality and the 'Un-moved Mover' who set time in motion and the set of causes throughtout the universe & lineal time (God). Also in Omar Khayyams' works

Soft Determinist: We have some freedom of choice BUT ultimatly we are determined by God or our previous actions (causality). Whatever we choose will ultimatly lead back to our 'path' the has been set for us. (More modern widely accepted theory)

Wiki Articles on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibilism#Libertarianism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibilism#Hard_determinism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism#P..._of_determinism

I find this topic very interesting and its good theology to look in. Votes and opinions are more than appreciated :)

I choose libertarianism.

As the great teacher of all time, Zartosht, said: Khodaavandeh Jaan o Kherad. God gives us life, but it is out brain and mind that controlls who we are and what we do. I totally agree with his statement, and also believe that we are free to choose what we do and our own actions, which come about from our free will, determine what happens to us.

That said, I have my superstitions, which should probably put me in the soft-determinism category, but deep down i think taht it really is libertarianism.

Thanks for your votes

Personally im a soft determanist... causality (our previous actions) influences most things in our life. Many cultures believe the same i.e Toaism 'An action causes a reaction' Ying/Yang etc. A lot of sayings like 'You reep what you sow'... I guess we're all a sucker for causality imo... Tho I believe we have some freedom will

freedom...all the way...

i like to think im in control of my life.

yes i can see y but if we hav complet freedom iran will be westen not esten it will be the UK not iran

:diablo:

then if that is something to prefer why don’t you leave UK for your "esten" freedom in Iran?lol

lol..man assan sar dar nemiaram in thread chi mikhad begeh ,coño :D

then if that is something to prefer why don’t you leave UK for your "esten" freedom in Iran?lol

no ok the problems in iran can take 10years to solve max

in the UK long time come on people get stabed and no 1 even calls for help

i want iran 2 be iran

would u chang the thing u love even for the better ? :diablo:

i want iran 2 be iran

lol U love Iran? Then I suggest you learn some farsi or faris as you say, instead of the devil tongue you use by now, since long-distance loving aint gonna help your case!Lol

hahahaha,pourya jan,faghat to mituni hatrifeh in bacheh beshi,eyval. hahaha

yes i can see y but if we hav complet freedom iran will be westen not esten it will be the UK not iran

persian soldier jooon i think shugs is referring to free will/theology not 'freedom' as u pointed out...:)

i want iran 2 be iran

lol U love Iran? Then I suggest you learn some farsi or faris as you say, instead of the devil tongue you use by now, since long-distance loving aint gonna help your case!Lol

yes i no i shuld lern more but my dad is very anit iranian yeah but i don't lov the gov but what is inportent is that the people have love :diablo:

persian soldier jooon i think shugs is referring to free will/theology not 'freedom' as u pointed out...:)

yes i no i just don't like 2 much freedom but i can't real say that as i have never bin in a non free contry :damn: :punishing_wft: :diablo:

I have explained my views at leeeength.

I think it's free will.

There is no such thing as cause and effect. If one thought led to another and another, you will never have an opportunity to cut in. All thought comes out of nothing.

Also on Karma - Where Karma is your past, Dharma is your future potential. If you concentrated on your dharma, your karma will go away. You are only bound by it to the degree you let it. You may repeat your past mistakes, but you don't have to.