Forum | Bia2.com
Sign in to follow this  
olive

a grammar / stylistic problem

I have a question to those who live and study/learn in the UK, or to those who are familiar with proper British English.

I'm working on my thesis right now, and I've encountered a little problem. When I refer to a subject (in particular a person) whose gender is not relevant, and I continue the sentence with a personal pronoun, shall I use "he or she", the somewhat weird-looking "s/he" or rather the plural form "they"?

an example: When someone starts learning a language, s/he has to know... etc. OR When someone starts learning a language, they have to know... etc.

As far as I know, this latter form is used in contemporary American English in favour of political correctness. But I don't know whether it's formal or informal. And what I really don't know is if it's used in academic British English.

I prefer American English, but decided to write my thesis in BrE, since it is preferred at the university. Whatever the case, it's a shame I've never ever heard about this form in any of my university classes, nor have I heard any of my teachers use it. Maybe it's because they prefer BrE...? Or are they not up-to-date enough in this field...? So I just have this problem... :)

Thanks for your kind help in advance... :gentleman_in_wft[1]:

awwww...I wish I could help you!

All I can say is that once in high school I wrote a paper in which I used the word "they" in that same context and It was marked wrong :( but that was in USA and it was only one teacher. so I wouldnt count much on it. :damn:

honey u must to ask it from your profesor,not here :D hey i miss yaaaaa :gentleman_in_wft[1]:

my girl!!

i study in the UK...i'd use either...but to be honest if u want it to sound formal i wud use s/he....

but really its down to u... :gentleman_in_wft[1]:

i would say s/he because when you use "they" you voice in your thesis becomes passive (causing your paper to become weak).....and like sara said it is more formal.....

Strictly speaking, should it not be "that person" rather than "s/he" or "they"? (Says me struggling with an essay on DMARDs in Rheumatoid Arthritis :eek_wft: )

P.S. I'm a born Scot but English was my worst subject at school, so don't take my word for it :)))

Hi guys,

I am trying to write a letter in Farsi to my good friend and wish to say "Something you said really surpised me" (I virtually choked on my tea!!!!!!) How do I write it??? I have got as far as 'cheesy gofti' but am stuck.

Thanks for your help,

susan :happy_wft: