Forum | Bia2.com
Sign in to follow this  
hamed

Pitch correction..

I'm not the biggest expert in music, notes, etc. But is it just me or are a bunch of new songs using pitch correction?? I had this pointed out to me and now I notice it a lot more. They use it to make the singer's voice sound more perfectly in pitch. But it sounds bad because no one can sing like that -- your voice just can't do it. Sometimes they do a good job and it doesn't sound bad, but many other times..? Anyways, just was wondering if others have noticed it.

Also, what's up with the voicebox? The fads been over lol

It's called Auto tuner, as you can tell from the name, it automatically tunes-in the off tune notes, however if you enforce too much of it, it turns out to sound like the way you hear them in nowadays' singers' albums (mainly the new singers :haha: ).

A prominent example of this effect is Sher's song "Believe" or Tupac "California" and many more!

Although those peeps used Auto tuner for the sake of its uniqueness, rather than fixing so-called Sloppy vocals!

Also singers Like Siavash Ghomeyshi has as well used this effect in a few of his tunes (mainly for the fun of it).

But please do not mistake what I just said, Auto tuner may fix to a certain extent, though it won'r just do magic and turn any ridiculous vocalist into a pro singer! :haha:

keano, I have tried Melodyne. I dunno if you have used it or not. but when I run it in its "automatic" tuning feature to fix the imperfections, what I hear sounds way more "falzh" than before using the melodyne. So what I had to do was to listen to what I had sung and manually correct the portions that *sounded* off to my ear. and in doing this, I had to change the pitch up and down untill it seemed fine. :damn: I mean when for example I change the pitch from a little off C to melodyne point of reference for C, what I hear is not still a perfect C and I have fine tune it manually for a long time until I get the note right. I dunno what is wrong?! u got any idea about this? or do u know of any other software that does the job easier?

Thanks in advance :happy_wft:

Well Melodyne is in Wave-forms eiditng format, and I am not too familiar with this program, as for auto tuning the vocals, you need to bear in mind that such devices actually do pitch shift to a limited extent, although as I mentioned earlier they won't do magic, If you're singing very simple and solid lines, you'll ultimately give a better chance to the Auto-tuner to tune-in your vocals, as opposed to an extreme ornomental singing (Complicated tahreer), what happens is that when you use this feature, the device cannot recognize and fix the false notes without leaving the foot steps behind, so the footseteps appear as some kind of funky effects on the song, which the public recognize them as "Sher" effect, or "Alienish" singing :haha:

If the vocalist has performed a decent job singing the tune, then a bit of Auto-tuning shall do the job, yet not sound soooo weird/funky/ridiculous! :haha: :haha: :haha:

If the vocalist fails to perform a decent singing, then what I would suggest is to go to the graphical editing mode and start editing the Off notes step by step and note-by-note!

So you're an engineer, or a self studio singer?

While being on topic, I thought I would share with you how an auto tuner can make a great singer out of an infant!

Guys!!!

Seriously you have to listen to this tune, I put my reputation on you loving this tune (Especially you Farnaz Agha!):

Auto tuner made the infant a great singer!

lol

thanx bro, it's so cute! :DD

and he sure does sound way better than maaany of todays Iranian vocalists who use autotuner!lol :haha:

hahahaha :))):))):)))

that was nice... loool i always call these typea voices " tooaaaletii " it sounds like they are singing while takin a &*&* looool

very good post :D

Keano, That was very kewl! :clap2: did u make this? I just didn't get how the song after the infant "masterpiece" related to the masterpiece itself?

Btw, I am just an amature music lover, but I am also an engineer, yet in electrical engineering ;) indeed I have my masters too, but in DEBATING... as a matter of fact I am a MASTER(DE)BATOR! :))) lool, I got my masters in Electrical and bachelor in Computer engineering...

and thnx for the info Keano jan, all makes sense now. Actually, in melodyne as u mentioned, when I sing solid lines, the software has a good chance of detecting and *auto*-tuning my voice. But when there is a slightest ornomentation in the singing, it can not *detect* the notes correctly and therefore one can not fix them with the auto-feature. Yet, in terms of leaving the "footstep" behind, I find melodyne fairly impressive. Indeed, even if u want to leave some "cher" effect behind, it is difficult; you gotta sing EXTREMELY off for this to happen in melodyne.

Is the software you mentioned actually called Auto-tune?