13 members have voted

1. 1. Are you religious?

• Yes, I pray 5 times a day
    • Kind of, but I dont pray
    • I believe in God thats all
    • No

How many of you persians are religious?

How religious are you?

I'm not just a shia, I'm a shia with a mission.

:yeah:

I'm not just a shia, I'm a shia with a mission.

:yeah:

Good for you! That is to be respected but I certainly hope your "mission" does not mean preaching for the unbelievers because here we have strict regulations regarding such behaviour!

enjoy your stay!

I feel religious but I don't think it's obvious on me that I am 'cuz most people, even Muslims, seem to be shocked when I tell them I really am Muslim and religious too. Actually, I've been told directly I don't "look Muslim and religious? lol. Funk that :). Even though I'm religious I'm still openminded to the extend where I don't feel arrogant and superiour to other people who don't necessarily feel the same way I do (maybe less religious or not religious a all...or TOO much religious..to the point of extremism)...well...I can get to feel like that but I keep it to myself 'cuz it's none of my business. Of course I'd love it for everyone to be religious Muslims but I don't preach religion to people who don't show an interest.

Anyway, to the question in the poll...erm...well...my prayers are quite on and offish these days. Before yesterday I prayed 5 times a day...even on time, I'd say. But...since yesterday I've been lazy and haven't done'em properly. Today I have only prayed the sunrise prayer. I hope I'll pray as normal again tomorrow :).

haha...no I don't preach ppl...not at all. If ppl have questions about Islam i'll try to answer them but I won't go off telling them they are going to hell cuz thats just plain wrong. I'm not an extremist.

Yeah, same here. I only really talk religion with other Muslims and with people who actually ask me; then I'm more than happy to talk :D.

hmm im not religious as in the sense of practising... i geuss im Baha'i, from a long line of Baha'is... since the uprising at the tomb of Shiekh Tabarsi ~200 years ago... 7 of my ancestors were martyred... so i think its more my heritage, and Baha'is have suffered for ~2 centuries to reach this point so its out of respect

I dont practice ne thing, but i believe in most of the spiritual writings, i read other religious texts to expand my spectrum of knowledge, i have a beliefe in God... so i dunno, im torn between 'Kind of, but I dont pray' OR 'I believe in God thats all'

i also follow the concept of 'Soft Determanism' as in we're free to make choices but ultimatly we are determined by God or causailty... Khayyam was a firm believer of this concept, therefore he drank alcohol and lived his life how he wanted... geuss thats why europeans love his works

I personally believe in God but also believe that almost all of the religious text, if not all of it, from all religions, that are claimed to be the word of God are not the word of God; rather they are something that soemone wrote and claimed to be the word of God.

I respect anyone who has a true understanding of the religion that they believe in, meaning that they have not blindly followed a religion as being good without ever reading its texts and understanding what it stands for. On the flip side, I have a very hard time understanding those who superstitiously and blindly follow religion without understanding the essence of the religion or the history behind it.

I was never really a religious person until recently. I always believed in God but I never really knew much about the history of Islam or about Islam itself.. But recently things have happened in my life where I relied on God for help and all my problems seem to just work themselves out! So as a result I became a little more religious and am trying my best to learn more about Islam and I pray everyday.

btw, I thought only sunni muslims pray 5 times a day? Shia's pray only 3 right?

Omids---

Technically Shias pray 3 times a day. Because we do our afternoon and night prayers in pairs. Sunnis spilt them up thru out the day...

ohh yaa...

Alhamdulliah for you!! For praying to Allah (swt).

btw did your problems clear up after you started asking Allah to help you and guide you?

Omids---

Technically Shias pray 3 times a day. Because we do our afternoon and night prayers in pairs. Sunnis spilt them up thru out the day...

ohh yaa...

Alhamdulliah for you!! For praying to Allah (swt).

btw did your problems clear up after you started asking Allah to help you and guide you?

Yes! and He is still continuing to help!

I believe in God, that's all

Religions are a really nice thing, I respect all religions, etc etc... But sometimes I can't help thinking, that, without religions, we would have less wars and killings...

Religions are a really nice thing, I respect all religions, etc etc... But sometimes I can't help thinking, that, without religions, we would have less wars and killings...

I agree 100%. And frankly, most religious people always read religius text that they don't even understand because the text is in a different langauge. For example, Iranian Muslims read the Quran in Arabic, but extreme vast majority don't understand Arabic. The same is true of Jews who read in Hebrew, and unless they live in Israel, they don't understand what they read either. Sometimes I wonder if these people know what they are saying when they pray???? I hope that they read the text in a language that they understand and THEN decide to be religious or not. But that is their choice and they are free to do as they wish.

sometimes I can't help thinking, that, without religions, we would have less wars and killings...

Okay, so how do you explain the redhot hatred a lot of Atheists have got towards religion? Isn't that part of why this world consists of so much negativity also? It isn't only to be blamed on religion - people are just sick with or without a religion. Personaly, I think it's so wrong to say, "if there was no religion there'd probably be less war". I don't think there really would be. Besides...those "if..." questions are generally a waste of time to wnder about, because...no one has a clue how things would be like if they were different.

Besides...those "if..." questions are generally a waste of time to wnder about, because...no one has a clue how things would be like if they were different.

and just think that so many people waste their time doing so on academic level!ol :p

sometimes I can't help thinking, that, without religions, we would have less wars and killings...

Okay, so how do you explain the redhot hatred a lot of Atheists have got towards religion? Isn't that part of why this world consists of so much negativity also? It isn't only to be blamed on religion - people are just sick with or without a religion. Personaly, I think it's so wrong to say, "if there was no religion there'd probably be less war". I don't think there really would be. Besides...those "if..." questions are generally a waste of time to wnder about, because...no one has a clue how things would be like if they were different.

If there is no religion there will still be war. However, I think what FreeIran meant, and I tend to agree, that religion is yet another cause of war, which means if there was no religion, or less religion, there be one less cause of war, and thus less war overall. Although it is not the only cause, it certainly has been in history a major cause of war. For example, in Christianity they had the crusades and the inquisition in the name of religion. In Islam, there have been many intollerable acts when the Muslims conquered new areas -- Iran is one example where many Iranians were killed.

Also, although you are right that no one really knows what would happen in the future because of this "if" game, one thing is known: less religion would equal one less reason to wage war, which is historically really undisputable.

Very good point! They have left out all other religions.

lol. sorry I just assumed everyone was Muslim since majority Iranians are Muslim...

i'll add another option.

if I knew how...

I don't consider myself religious at all. But deeply spiritual. Probably more so than most.

In fact growing up in Iran, my mother hated Islam with a passion and she saw to it, that I don't learn a thing about it. Even when I had to study it in school and I would ask her a question, she would say she didn't know. She refused to teach me anything. But to her dismay I ended up believing in God and all sorts of all other stuff.

As far as war and religion, I think it's the other way around. The heads of states who want to go to war for political or usually monitary reasons, they use religion to get people excited. Otherwise if they said, let's go to this place for oil or money, people would yawn and say I don't need it that bad. But when they raise religion and paint the other guy in a bad light and make it a war of good vs evil then people get passionate and will want to sacrifice their life for what they believe to be a worthy cause. These people who have other agendas know that they have to use something to get to people's hearts. They use religion or other topics of passion to get to people, raise your blood pressure and make you want to get on their side.

i believe in God and i pray but at the same time i commit many sins just like everybody else

i dont believe in every single thing in the Holy Bible

but it is very good that u are religious.. keep it up :clap2:

I agree 100%. And frankly, most religious people always read religius text that they don't even understand because the text is in a different langauge. For example, Iranian Muslims read the Quran in Arabic, but extreme vast majority don't understand Arabic. The same is true of Jews who read in Hebrew, and unless they live in Israel, they don't understand what they read either. Sometimes I wonder if these people know what they are saying when they pray???? I hope that they read the text in a language that they understand and THEN decide to be religious or not. But that is their choice and they are free to do as they wish.

:k

I couldn't agree more, these misinterpretations on some religious people's behalf just make me so annoyed. For instance I think some religious people need to realise that you can't really follow everything that the Quran, Bible, Torah etc says, these sacred scriptures were all written a long time ago, you have to sort of adopt its message to 'now'.

If there is no religion there will still be war. However, I think what FreeIran meant, and I tend to agree, that religion is yet another cause of war, which means if there was no religion, or less religion, there be one less cause of war, and thus less war overall. Although it is not the only cause, it certainly has been in history a major cause of war. For example, in Christianity they had the crusades and the inquisition in the name of religion. In Islam, there have been many intollerable acts when the Muslims conquered new areas -- Iran is one example where many Iranians were killed.

Also, although you are right that no one really knows what would happen in the future because of this "if" game, one thing is known: less religion would equal one less reason to wage war, which is historically really undisputable.

I couldn't have said it better myself :k

:friends: