Forum | Bia2.com
Sign in to follow this  
pourya

TODAY I WATCHED ...

The Adventures of Tintin

5/5

Having waited and anticipated, I watched ‘The Adventures of Tintin’ the other night. Hergé himself has allegedly said that only Spielberg could do his Tintin justice. Hergé was right! Spielberg has adapted one of the best adventures of Tintin through the most adequate technology and with absolute respect for the source material. The Adventure of Tintin does not only feature the cutting edge motion capture animation but also a flowing direction and vivid acting. As a longtime and hardcore fan of Tintin I was left charmed and in awe, when watching my childhood hero coming to life!

Going to see Tintin on the weekend @ iMax :clap2: I don't have an affinity with Tintin as you do pourya, but I'm nonetheless excited as it looks to be a visual treat and very charming from the trailer. Hope it holds up as well to those not as familiar with Tintin's past life...

I personally recommend it in 3D, as I have seen it in both 2 and 3D, it does lose some finesse in 2D!

Hope you enjoy it pedram jan, especially Haddock who steals the show!Lol and just something to know since you are not a fan, Spielberg has paid a homage to Herge and actually included him in the opening scene as a street portraitist!

Yes I'll be seeing it in 3D pourya jan, it looks like one of the films that will shine in an extra dimension.

I also saw Lion King in 3D last week, the 3D worked well considering it was an post-production conversion. Brought back some childhood memories :)

Yes I'll be seeing it in 3D pourya jan, it looks like one of the films that will shine in an extra dimension.

I also saw Lion King in 3D last week, the 3D worked well considering it was an post-production conversion. Brought back some childhood memories :)

i saw lion king in 3d as well. Same here it took me back to my childhood days.... though this time i did not cry when the father died. hehe....

tintin does not get released here till the 26 december :(...

Some of the movies I've seen lately which I recommend:

Apollo 18 (2011)

4.5/5

The untold story of the Apollo 18 mission which was officially cancelled but conspiracy-theoretically launched and the reason why man never went back to the moon. Done in the "found footage" style which really works for the film, keeps you pinned down throughout the mission.

Stake Land (2011)

4.5/5

This one flew under the radar but is one of the best vampire/zombie movies I have ever seen! It borrows freely from many movies and series of the future dystopia genre, such as The Road, The Walking Dead, Children of Men and 28 Days Later. But it does so with style and by adding a notch! Credible performances, twistful scenario, ambient cinematography and a haunting score.

The Change-Up (2011)

4/5

80's style body-swap comedy, which despite being extremely formulaic is rather entertaining and at times charming. You also get a a lot of lead actresses T&A for your money, which doesn't happen very often!

Drive (2011)

4.5/5

A true tribute to the movies and music of the 80's! Well composed and orchestrated until the very conclusion, but that's where it somehow comes a bit short and falls in my opinion. Nevertheless one of the best movies of this year with a fantastic soundtrack.

Fright Night (2011)

4/5

Been a fan of the original cult flick and as such really enjoyed this remake, which has casted right actors for the right roles. Both Farrell and Tennant do justice to their characters. The only thing missing in the remake is a catchy theme song, something which the original enjoyed.

I missed Apollo 18 at the cinema, but gets a release on BD on Boxing Day. It seems to have mixed reviews, which doesn't surprise me as films in this vein seem to split critics. Reassuring to know you enjoyed it then pourya jan. i'll be picking it up on BD for sure.

This week I saw Hugo, in 3D! This is one of those films that absolutely shines in 3D. It's a truly wonderful film, that evokes old cinema in many ways, but at the same time revels in its first-class production. Kingsley again delivers an outstanding performance.

As I wrote in my blog I have my doubts when it comes to Hugo since I am a fan of the picture book, but I will be watching it. Wasnt it too Christmas/childish Pedram jan, I want to see it but if its too sugar coated I cant stand watching it at the cinemas!lol

I had never read Selznick's book pourya jan, so I was able to view without prejudice fortunately. Was the novel quite dark? like yourself, if I've read the novel before a film, I find it very hard to approach any visual representation without any sort of expectation of standard. I actually fear the experience, out of losing my own interpretation sometimes. So Hugo for me was a completely new experience, sure at times it was childish, but that was half it's charm for me. I am a seasonal romantic pourya jan hehe, I openly embrace such a spirit in film too. I find such films an emotional portal, if they seem genuine that is. Hugo embodied both elements perfectly, the 3D immersion too really added to that sense of perception.

It wasn't without flaw though. Scorsese for me produces great films, but none that are truly exceptional.. There always seems to be that little something missing. Still, this was new for him and shows his versatility as a director.

Yes, then it seems Scorsese has gone for a looser adaptation and interpretation. I missed that blog pourya jan, though I think despite your reservations you may find a good film there, though one different to your wishes.

Warrior

5/5

"Warrior" is everything "The Fighter" wanted to be but wasn't! That and even more, and you do not have to be an MMA fan like yours truly to appreciate the solid dramaturgy and quality performance it brings to the cage. A heavy weight of its genre and worthy contender.

The ides of March

4.5/5

A brilliantly orchestrated and played political thriller. George Clooney's thematic and stylistic follow up to his Michale Clayton where he once again shows that he knows the nerves and strings of politics, well enough to deliver one stellar opus after the other.

Don't be afraid of the dark

4/5

Ever wondered why tooth-fairies pay for your teeth? This is a classic Guillermo del Toro, with all the elements that you expect from them. All elements but one ting, it is not a Spanish production! And therein lies the problem, if the exact same movie had been done in Spain it would have had less Hollywood flair and more foreign sublimity. Not saying that the American production is flawed, not at all. In fact the VFX and production value are all top notch. Yet if the actors had spoken Spanish it would have added to the overall mysticism of the story.

Killer Elite

3.5/5

Pretty solid story and action. Though with two bug-factors: Statham doesn't look like belonging to 1980 (probably refusing to let his hair grow long and show the bald spot) and Deniro is practically missing from the movie (why act when you get cash just to have your name and face on the poster). Whatever makes this movie worth watching belongs to Owen, Purcell and Young!

Inbetweeners

3/5

England's answer to American Pie and Road Trip comes a decade too late, but mildly amusing nevertheless.

Kill List - A very very good film. Didn't know what to expect from this, Kermode described it as an extremely uncomfortable film to watch "in a good way..", I concur entirely. There is something so unsettling about this film that lingers on your mind after. It is a multitude of genres, that shouldn't work, but does through an engaging mysticism.

Kill-List-Poster-610x462.jpg

Real Steel

4/5

Something borrowed from the Transformers and something borrowed from Over the Top mixed into a decent American action drama for the family. Well, mostly for the kids. What I mainly liked about it was its ability to be futuristic and dramatic without overdoing it. Rather downscaled and modest, surprisingly. Also the movie reminded me of how much I've missed miss "freckles"!

not seen the show, if its about same kids I dont think I will. I have seen the trailer of separation and even though I'm sure its a very good movie that is no film for me.

Tbh Pourya the tv show is ten times better than the movie. It reminded me of all the awkward kids back in high school.

Also the seperation, I wasn't keen on watching it because I thought like every other Iranian film the end will leave you in suspense,( or should I say an 'unfinished' film) which admitatly irretates the hell out of me. Well I was not wrong about that. However not seeing te trailer I found the story to be unpredictable which I rather enjoyed but then again the ending took that sweetness away.

Well the trailer gives it all away in a nutshell. There are many movies which are good however I can not sit through, the theme is nothing that interests me, even its twists.

The Inbetweeners is very popular here in the UK, but for me it's toilet humour that is neither new, authentic or funny. As you rightly say, the adolescent humour was done better a decade ago across the pond. Typically, the British recycle it, with a far inferior quality and production.

As the new generation of adolescent have different expectation to what humor is now than what it use to be for our generation. I personally did not mind the inbeteweener tv show as I honestly saw scenes that reminded me of awkward kids with whom I use to attend school. . Obviously these days humor doesn't leave much to the imagination so if you were to remake this show 15 years ago a lot of the content would probably have been considered "morally incorrect". Though when watching the show I really felt that it had a lot of truth to it. As for the movie I hardly believe any movie can be as good as it's tv show.

A movie to a it's tv show is like a movie to it's book. Incomparable.

Now The Inbetweeners in book format would be something!looool

I recall you once said you loved Napoleon Dynamite cuz it reminded you of the awkward kids at school! Damn that must have been some school you went to!lol

Lol or maybe enjoy obsevirving the nature of awkward kids....

Napolean Dynimate, I must have seen this movie at least 100 times. One of the only

Movies I have have seen more than once.

Have you watched 'the girl with dragan tattoo'? (in both versions)

I have watched the Swedish trilogy and the pointless American remake, dont care much about either