Forum | Bia2.com
Sign in to follow this  
pourya

TODAY I WATCHED ...

Pedram jan, there is LONG but very interesting article/interview with del Toro! Who is one of my favorite directors, of course. It has been written through several years and starts when he was assigned to do the Hobbit, then follows up why he was suddenly removed and replaced by Jackson (and why Jackson agreed to to do the Hobbit after having said that he would no longer shoot Tolkien) and how del Toro's recent mastodon project was born and killed just recently! You really feel his climax and disappointments! It took me hours to read it thoroughly and finish it, I have never read such article which is like a written documentary! But it truly puts the rise and falls of such directors in the world of Hollywood in perspective, and you really start to understand how the industry works.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/07/110207fa_fact_zalewski?currentPage=all

Wow, that really is a long article!! :eek_wft: I won't read right now, as i want to read it in it's entirety. I will probably read it later this evening. If it contains information about the inner-workings of the industry then it will surely be a valuable read. I was surprised Del Toro left the project, I read The Hobbit in school and always thought Del Toro would be a perfect match for it!

lol I told you it was long! hehe, It doesnt give music explicit information about others, however you get to follow his career, how he is raised to top and then smashed down to the ground! While he remains the true creator and dreamer, he keeps talking about each project and his ideas with tremendous enthusiasm. you really feel sad for him the way he is treated and get amazed how he continues be so naive! You understand that this industry is not really about endorsing visionaries, but rather mainstreamers.

Arthur

3/5

A decent but rather pointless remake of a flawless classic comedy. What is the point of Brand making a good copy of Dudley's iconic performance? Why remake when not improving? In fact everything good about this remake is copied from the original, the rest is what's new!

Transformers 3

5/5

Glad I didn't listen to reviews and skip this one, because I happened to find it the best of all movies! This 3rd instalment, just like its predecessors, is packed with visual spectacles signed Bay. Enhanced in 3D! With an improvement in terms of dramaturgy, compared to the previous movie. My only critique is the one I had for the two other movies, the Decepticons in general and Megatron and Starscream in particular are still too plain and look-alikes! If this franchise continues I wish to see more character developments and intrigues, explored just like in the animated original. So far all focus has been on outsiders.

Arthur

3/5

A decent but rather pointless remake of a flawless classic comedy. What is the point of Brand making a good copy of Dudley's iconic performance? Why remake when not improving? In fact everything good about this remake is copied from the original, the rest is what's new!

lol. Brand is one of those people whom I just cannot tolerate in any role he partakes in. :damn:

lol I know what you mean, but I have to admit that in right role and in small doses I do like his performance.

The Ward

3/5

I watched it only because of my love for miss Heard. Not to spoil the twist, you will recognize it from another movie of its genre from 2003 starring Cusack! Admittedly it has its jump-factor, even though not much more than that.

Peep World

3/5

A big cast movie about a dysfunctional family that follows the steps of other movies about dysfunctional families before it, without any deviation or twist. It tends to come short towards its end but overall a decent piece of light drama.

Peep Show

3/5

A big cast movie about a dysfunctional family that follows the steps of other movies about dysfunctional families before it, without any deviation or twist. It tends to come short towards its end but overall a decent piece of light drama.

Electra Luxx

2.5/5

Never in a million years could I imagine that "Women in Trouble" would sell so well that it would warrant an instant follow up! But what blows me away is the fact that not only no substantial name has left the cast but bigger names has been added; Gordon-Levitt, Olyphant and Akerman to mention a few!

Super 8 will not be released in UK until August!!! Really want to see it, someone described it as a missing film in the childhood trilogy inc, Goonies, ET hehe.

Oh wow that is quite interesting.

Just got back from theater, "Horrible Bosses" was the movie we watched, not too funny to my taste TBH, quite disappointed, however my friend who was sitting next to me pretty much laughed her azz off throughout the entire movie, which made it even more annoying and unfunny for me, honestly I was so embarrassed that I wish I could melt and disappear from the theater, she would laugh so loud and at times repeat after the "Funny lines" real loud, I was just pulling my fcuking hair telling myself why the fcuk did you even come with her? Oh man.... anyhow if I were to rate the movie on a scale of 1-5, I would rate it: 2.5/5 but don't take my word for it!

Got some catching up to do as I barely post here:

Thor: 5/5 I just loved everything about this movie, it had everything; emotions, action, excitement etc.

Hangover: 3.75/5 I found the first one much funnier than this, quite honestly it was below my expectations

X-men: 4/5 real well done, for sure surpassed my expectations, lots of non stop action, add to it the originality compared to the previous X-men movies

Green lantern: 2.75/5 I thought it was Disney-like type of a movie, too cartoonish for my liking

Transformers: 4/5 Enjoyed it, emotions mixed with extreme action made it enjoyable, the first 30 minutes could have been a little faster though. Gotta love the new girl, replacing Megan Fox

the-tree-of-life-movie-poster-01-651x1024.jpg

Caught a late night showing of this last night. Left me truly in awe. This is a wildly ambitious motion picture, Mallick is able to somehow make it work conceptually in his clever use of cinematography interwoven with a wonderfully inspiring narrative. It has polarised critics and I can see why. It could easily have been a bore-fest, but the words and images just really struck a chord with me personally. I recommend this film without the slightest hesitation, even if one doesn't concur, it is a must-watch for ambition alone.

I can't wait until the IMAX version is released later this year. The BD will also be a must have for me, I'll go to any extent to pick up an LE.

Good to know that there is a coherent plot that binds the beautiful images! Havent seen it but will be getting the BD even for those shots alone!

What really stood out for me though was that not only were the shots achingly beautiful, but each frame projects a paradox of simplicity but is equally multifarious when analysed with the broader themes of the film as a whole. I really want to see it again soon so I can decipher some of those elements.

Btw Pedram jan, being a fan of Gandolfini I do recommend his "Welcome to the Rileys". Its a bit indie but nice to see him trying something different. I got the swedish BD on sale, but dont think its out on BD in UK! strangely some movies never get released on BD in UK! Like The Messenger which was great! But worth checking out via the other means. speaking of miscalculated releases Enter The Void has just been premièred in the cinemas here ! :damn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOL1uoRV0D8http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tTIQ8pkGf0

Thanks for the recommendation pourya jan. One of those shots of Gandolfini outside a coffee shop reminded me of him sat outside Satriali's in Sopranos hehe. I need to make an order on US Amazon soon anyway, so I'll add both to my order :) I trust both will be region-free?

Sadly no pedram jan, the messenger is but the rileys isnt! you can always check the region-free titles here http://www.blurayregioncodes.com/

unfortunately i missed out on the limited edition digipak of messenger! didnt expect it to get sold out that quickly! if you ever pick it up make sure to get the BD only, not the BD/DVD como as that comes in a DVD case!

last month I bought two BDs from amazon and they arrived in a week! now three weeks ago I got two more BDs which were shipped right away but the status says estimated delivery 3rd august!lol WTF! :eek_wft: dont know how that works! also I placed a book order with amazon uk which has started to ship for free to European countries once its above £25! so far very good! the funny part is that all books were in stock when i ordered, but it took them 7 days to get them all shipped to me and the order was divided in parts shipped from uk, germany and france! one book they shipped from UK which came via UPS and it took UPS a week to find me and deliver!lol :damn:

lol. Sorry to hear of your bad experience(s) pourya jan. I've noticed that Amazon seems to ship more often from affiliates these days. Whether they are deliberately trying to decentralise their stocks, or whether it is a less fundamental logistical tactic, I'm not sure. I know they use Indigo Starfish for a lot of their DVD, CD and BD as to utilise Jersey's tax exemption, but I didn't know they are now shipping from other subsidiaries around Europe too!!!

We used UPS at my last company pourya jan, though we aptly referred to them as "OOPS" lol. Suffice to say, we had many issues with their service, probably down to volume more than anything though.

I'll let you know how I get on with my US order, fingers crossed!!

Edited by Omega

Finally got my amazon book order from US and it seems like they have gone a longer way and sent via a European address in order to avoid customs! the package was put i a white bag with no sign of amazon and the address was very vague! first time I see amazon do this, previously Korean yesasia has done this for us customers and sent via an address in germany.

Her Highness

3/5

Mildly amusing lampooning of the fantasy genre, reminiscent of formula used by others like Mel Brooks and Cheech & Chong. Had it not been pumped with a decent CGI it would had not been that amusing, since its rather low on verbal comic. It has also a good amount of both T&A and gore which sells the flick and the fact the miss Portman flashes her lovely behind does not really harm the case either!

Super

3/5

Another attempt to ride the success of "Kick ass". Personally I liked "Defendor" more but "Super" is superior of you like the action graphic and disturbing! It goes without saying that the best part of this movie is Ellen Page in her super hero outfit!

Lebanon, Pa.

3/5

"Lebanon, Pa." does not stand for Lebanon, Palestine, in fact it has nothing to do with it at all! I should have known better, after all it is an American indie flick. Using the usual ingredients of the genre "Lebanon, Pa." does not disappoint, but neither does it surprise. Other than with its title, that is!

Jane Eyre

3/5

Every time I see an adaptation of Jane Eyre it reminds me of how boring this story really is and the agony of reading through the book for the first time! The story aside the movie looks and sounds beautiful. First time Mia impressed me with her acting skills was in "In Treatment" as a troubled teen, she does not come short as Jane! Neither does my new man-crush, Fassbender, disappoint.

Mia was also impressive in "The Kids Are All Right" pourya jan. Not sure if you saw it, but comes highly recommended.

Like your good self, I cannot stand Jane Eyre! Ever since those dreaded days reading it in literary class at school hehe.

She is also starring in a new film, directed by Gus Van Z, "Restless"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7t29dNoTxs

Edited by Omega

Have only seen her as Alice in Wonderland before! And to be honest it was first yesterday I realised who that was!

Captain America

3.5/5

Technically on par with the rest of recent Marvel movies but story-wise subpar. It really has no Captain America "story", but is more like a two hour long prequel to a movie that never begins! Ultimately this serves partly as a set up for "The Avengers" and partly a propaganda film for the US military. A movie which coincidently comes in nick of time to boost the spirit of the country in times of crisis and depression.