Forum | Bia2.com
Sign in to follow this  
pourya

TODAY I WATCHED ...

Kenneth Branagh is the maker, so you can understand that! I think he did a great job, I even wrote in my blog that the initial images looked cheesy but when watching it you just get impressed by the storytelling (the characters are not deep, but the story is well-told) and visual effects! It was gorgeous in 3D, so much that I watched it a second time! Unlike Kermode I am a fan of 3D, hehe. I go to cinema for an extraordinary experience, the more enhanced the better! especially when there are visual effects involved.

Hehe i think at first Kermodes objection was more with those films using it as a post-production gimmick. Now he seems equally appalled with ANY film of 3D persuasion haha. I can take it or leave it to be honest. Avatar looked great in 3D, but every movie i've seen since in that format has been nothing but a distraction. I'd rather have watch glasses-free in 2D! Until film-makers start actually filming in 3D, we are yet to see the format in it's glory.

Well it certainly has split the cinema goers, to the extent that me and my friends have gone divided into two groups when going to the cinema!I am the leader of the 3D group and strangely most of those who favour 3D are the girls!lol SO I enjoy the company! :D

lol what can I say, I am a man who loves when certain features and details of what he is enjoying suddenly pops out in his face!loool :haha: :haha:

hahaha, oh its just a matter of time! :D

Rango

4/5

Impeccable animation, which imitates organic fabrics and textures organically. Decent story and despite having a Depp-allergy I could bear with his voice, as long as I did not see his face!lol There is one problem I have with this though, something which I call the Goofy/Pluto syndrome. Meaning that I do not like fables in which certain animals act like human while others like animals! Like Disney's Goofy being a human dog and Pluto being an animal dog, an inconsistency that bothers me.

Beastly

3.5/5

What do you do when your girl wants you to watch a beauty and beast adaptation for teens? You watch it!lol But I have to admit that it was a decent movie, not just because miss Hudgens is cute as a button and Pettyfer is not just a handsome but also talented, but it managed to translate the myth adequately into contemporary contexts.

Had to see this purely for Tim McGraw, he gives a reasonable performance, but it is Leighton Meester who outshines Gwyneth Paltrow here. A cliched movie of the troubles and strife of a declining country star. "crazy Heart" was vastly superior, though this one has a better soundtrack.

country-strong-movie-poster.jpg

Hanna

2.5/5

A good concept but highly flawed in terms of story and character development. It has a strange combination of raw action scenes and teenage drama. Something which starts promising like a new La Femme Nikita turns soon into Hannah Montana!

X-men : First Class

4/5

While Vaughn's passion for vivid colors was his strength in visualization of "Kick ass" it becomes his Achilles' heel in X-men where he is dependent on special visual effects. Effects which with vivid colors are like oil and water! As a result there are screaming seams in many scenes. The story has also seams which stand out at times. Most of the cast preforms adequately and I can almost buy McAvoy's pale Xavier, but it is Fassbeneder who really lends the movie acting credibility and shoulders Ian's mantle elegantly. He takes this from television level to stage! It was also good to see January (and her cleavage) in some other role than "Mrs Draper".

Source Code

3/5

I love Duncan Jones' "Moon". But "Source Code" doesnt really manage to follow it up as it suffers from several issues. If you have seen the trailer you have basically seen 99% of the movie which is pretty predictable to that very last moment, a sci-fi Groundhog Day basically! And its twist, when it finally arrives, is really a logical flaw which might look good but comes trembling down once pondered.

Paul

4/5

This is really amusing, a light-hearted and fresh take on the whole extra terrestrial theme that actually takes the cliches and uses them to its advantage. Well done in terms of visual effects as well.

The Adjustment Bureau

3/5

If it had not been for the character chemistry I would have given this 1 star only! When you are about to make a sci-fi flick that is about watchmen of destiny dressed in suits and trilby hats then you can either do it in a cool way like "Fringe" with its "observers" or in a corny way like here with these so called "case officers". This is light weight sci-fi! Its funny that Shohreh Aghdashloo played a very important role in this movie but only appeared in the ending, four months after the movie was shot the ending was altered and she was cut out!lol

baba eyval... hamash film mibinin shuma... khosh beh haletun :D .

film didan ro sade begiri miresi hamishe film bebini

:clap2:

Take Me Home Tonight

3.5/5

A decent tribute to the 80's and the post-high school reunion movies. Needless to say it has a very cool and nostalgic soundtrack!

Manolete (A Matador's Mistress)

3/5

Brody is the spitting image of Manuel Rodriguez Sanchez, but despite the perfect casting "Manolete" comes short in terms of dramaturgy and cinematography. Except in one epic bullfighting scene it is hard to see that this has been directed by the director of "Empire of the Sun" and "Color Purple"! This should be a deeper study of the characters, instead it becomes very shallow and fleeting. So much that you don't really care for the characters.

Mars Needs Moms

3/5

This is apparently one of the most expensive animated features, yet done badly commercially. It might have to do with the fact that both the story and the animation are uneven. Some of the human characters looks creepy (incl the kid) while they have done a hyper realistic job with Fogler's! And the Martians are all subpar animations in comparison. By the way, am I wrong or is this some kind of criticism on extreme feminism?

Super 8

4/5

This is "ET" meeting "Cloverfield", as predicted. But not necessarily the best parts of Spielberg and Abrams' formulas are fused! One clich?© after the other is lined up, but without the magic that is needed to charge it up. The movie's predictability becomes its pitfall! The strongest feature is the LOST-like entrance of the monster, but once the mystery is unfolded things are rushed and the last 1/3 of the movie once again manifests Abrams' inability to conclude a story adequately. Leaving plot holes.

Going the Distance

3/5

A formulaic RomCom about long distance relationships, which tends to fall on the somewhat contrived chemistry between its leads, ironically despite them having being real life couple! And Barrymore looks really old and tired, of being typecasted over and over again perhaps?

Super 8

4/5

This is "ET" meeting "Cloverfield", as predicted. But not necessarily the best parts of Spielberg and Abrams' formulas are fused! One clich?© after the other is lined up, but without the magic that is needed to charge it up. The movie's predictability becomes its pitfall! The strongest feature is the LOST-like entrance of the monster, but once the mystery is unfolded things are rushed and the last 1/3 of the movie once again manifests Abrams' inability to conclude a story adequately. Leaving plot holes.

Super 8 will not be released in UK until August!!! Really want to see it, someone described it as a missing film in the childhood trilogy inc, Goonies, ET hehe.

Edited by Omega

Why is that Pedram jan? Strange!

The movie is good but it really leaves one disappointed towards the end, typical Abrams! It really lacks magic and charm, so much that hardly anyone wanted to stay and watch the extra scenes in the credits.

I have no idea. This used to be the rule 10 years ago, the UK was always the last for release but the situation has improved massively in recent years, with the exception of Super 8 it seems!

I wonder how much input Spielberg had in this film as a producer? I've never been a big fan of Spielberg with a few exceptions from my youth, when i was less critically inclined. I think his stock is artificially inflated beyond belief.

Well I would be lying if I said I did not regard both Lucas and Spielberg as house Gods! I still regard Lucas and Speilberg's works from the 70's and 80's as cinematic millstones and master pieces! But since then they both have lost their touch, that creative hunger is gone and they rely on modern technology rather than creativity. no longer visionaries! Much like many music artists, as I'm sure you know what I'm talking about! This movie "looks" like an 80's Spielberg creation, a family-friendly matine, but there is no heart in it! ET had a heart, you really started to know and care about the creature while Super 8 is like Lost! In the end its just visual effects! You care about the mystery until its a mystery, after that there is no story! The monster is just like smokie amazing as long as its not clear what it is, while not much effort is put in giving it a character and allowing the viewer to establish a connection with it. Abrams truly have a weakness in concluding his works adequately. Only Star Trek ended properly.

interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE7fzr6lQ-s

Well this may explain why I've never been much of a fan. the late 70's and early 80's were not my era. The films of his i did enjoy were the original Indiana Jones', which i loved. They were actually quite dark and mysterious, full of imagination, yet with an innocent generic action backbone. I also enjoyed Back to the Future, again as they were hugely imaginative yet had a strong protagonist and story. Hook was another I enjoyed, it tapped into the child psyche, with wildly imaginative showpieces.

For me it went downhill from Schindlers List, which I think was awarded for the subject rather than the film. With the exception of THe Terminal, i haven't enjoyed much of his works since. For me he has passed his creative peak and has been churning out mediocrity the psat years. If it was anyone else (like Bay), he would have been panned by critiques. I think an apt phrase has been penned in the industry, "living off past glories".

I do not dispute his historic importance and contribution to cinema and film. He has produced many defining moments in the industry and has influenced almost every film maker since. I just feel people should be more objective when critiquing his recent works.

Another problem I also have is this "Spielberg presents", or "Jackson presents", nonsense. A prime example of Hollywood nepotism, friends of the greats "borrowing" their endorsement for commercial purposes. Like Jackson for instance with The Lucky Bones!! I can't believe Jackson in his right mind would endorse such a crock of sh*t, other than to serve the interests of people he is close too, either fiscally or personally.

Lol, that last Indiana film was arguably the worst resurrection of a series I've ever seen. Made a mockery of the whole series.