Forum | Bia2.com
Sign in to follow this  
pourya

TODAY I WATCHED ...

Rare Exports

3.5/5

Norway makes a movie about its trolls so why shouldn't Finland make one about Santa?! You thoughts trolls were scary? This is a totally different kind of Christmas tale, which makes you reconsider your image of Santa and his helpers altogether!

Love and other Drugs

4/5

I was expecting a generic RomCom but was pleasantly surprised to see it stepping out of its box by blending comedy and realism! I could really relate to the male lead character, its in a way an "Up in the Air" for its own generation.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

2/5

By far the most childish movie of the trilogy, including some really cheap effects. The nods to the classic Sinbad movies are obvious and when watching it you really learn to appreciate and miss Harryhausen's craft!

Somewhere

3.5/5

I was bored to death by "Lost in Translation", which should have been called Lost in Time! This movie's pace is slow, but her timing has improved and although you literally waste time to watch things dry there is a momentum which makes it engaging enough. One cant help to say though that this movie has many parallels to "The Wrestler"! For the better.

The Company Men

3.5/5

A rather decent take on the white collar social-realism, with an indie twist which helps to charge the movie with a sense of despair and depression.

Howl

4.5/5

Franco makes an excellent portrayal of Ginsberg in a testimony on behalf of the entire Beat generation and its magnum opus "Howl"! An emotion enforcing sound-track and a enhanced narrative by the blend of film and animation.

Let Me In

3/5

An unnecessary and rather messy remake. Unless you love lame CGI and are afraid of subtitles you should watch the Swedish original instead.

Blue Valentine

3/5

The set-up and premises of this indie inspired flick is like made for me. But strangely it just doesnt do anything for me! Mainly due to its lead actors' lack of charm and dynamic chemistry. I'm not saying they are mismatched, on the contrary. They are like tooth and toothpick! Which makes watching them in interaction unengaging, both in their past and presence.

Due Date

2.5/5

A loose and lame remake of Hughes' "Planes, Trains and Automobiles". Watch the original instead!

Puffff ... Mr P you are beating my record for watching movies. :)))

Is so nice to see another movie lover :brows: .

hehe, last summer i watched 100 movies in one month! :D I dont always have time now so I watch as many as possible when I can

The Freebie

5/5

This intelligent indie film brings up the single MEGA CULPA any couple can possibly make together! If you have been in the situation then you will relate to the heaven and hell of the freebie, but even if you haven't there is a risk that you and your partner one day will! So its definitely a moral story I recommend watching. Katie Aselton does an incredible job in directing as well as starring.

Slightly disappointed with this. Bale outperforms all cast, as always, but even his excellent portrayal isn't enough to salvage a film shrouded in mediocrity. Bale's performance evokes some of that seen in Harsh Times, a truly compelling character.

The-Fighter-poster-lg.jpg

Edited by Omega

Madventures!

this is a cool Finnish travel program available on madventures.tv and youtube

madvent_ss_papua_new_guinea_001.jpg

Gulliver's Travels

3/5

Jack Black jumps on the same matinee wagon as Stiller and Sandler have and cashed in on historic and literary references in a family movie. "Gulliver's Travels" is in its attempt more faithful to the source material then its predecessors, having your kids knowing at least the title and character of Jonathan Swift's magnum opus.

You will meet a tall dark stranger

4/5

This is a typical Woody comedy with the complete assortment of the Woody characters. The dead people, mediums, neurotics, artists, muse, miscommunicating couples and a lot of irony!

Stone

3/5

I still haven't made my mind up about the story itself, is it inconclusive or is there a conclusion of some sort somewhere? Is there a moral? I am not sure ... what I'm sure though is that the entire cast give a brilliant performance, especially Norton.

Welcome to the Rileys

4/5

Thematically and qualitatively right there with last year's excellent "Rabbit Hole". Good to see Gandolfini breaking free from the cage of typecast and although Stewart plays yet another pale and morbid character she does it very well. And so do her naked buttocks, which are constantly on display.

Little Fockers

3/5

Not as good as the first one but decent enough to (hopefully) put an end to the whole Focker saga! The De Niro and Keitel scene is a nerd nod to Taxi Driver, but in fact shows how low these once potent actors have come to stoop!

The Troll Hunter

4.5/5

Norway has made a cool movie about its trolls, which is a nod to both “Cloverfield” and “The Blair Witch Project”. The ingredients of "The Troll Hunter" are nothing new, but its served with heart lighter than what Hollywood often charges its monster movies with. The troll scenes alone make this worth watching!

Winter's Bone

2.5/5

It is beyond me why this movie has been so critically acclaimed. If by "keeps you on needles and pins" means yawning then sure! This is a rather mundane story told in a rather mundane fashion, with no sense of danger nor suspense.

Blood into Wine

3/5

The story of the front man of "Tool" making own wine in the middle of a barren desert, against all odds! This is a documentary for two kind of people, hardcore fans of the band "Tool" and the wine aficionados. The film itself has little technical value.

Everyday

3.5/5

A good movie about the everyday life of a normal middle-class family. It was a pleasure to see Schreiber in a different role than his usual villain and not to forget Carla's ever-lovely posterior!

The Fighter

3/5

The problem with the Fighter is that nowhere along the line do I see Wahlberg's character as a fighter nor do I care what happens to his career! It's like a side story! This is the main difference with Rocky. Other than that Bale's overacting and Wahlberg's underacting complete each other.

Fair Game

3/5

A well told "true story", but I can't help but to feel that both Penn and Watts have played one too many roles of the kind!

The Last Exorcism

4/5

We have seen the faux documentary style footage in features many times already, though it still bears to be explored. The movie doesnt really add anything new to the style per se but it uses it adequately. Even though the very ending scene is an anticlimax!

Mechanic

3.5/5

A rather cookie-cutter assassins with vengeance story with all the classic cliche twists! Good casting which leaves you wishing that the plot was more elaborate than predictable. There is a short scene which particularly stood out for me and that was the "couch" scene!

It's kind of a funny story

3.5/5

It's the type of movie that Michael Cera would have played in, but I for one am so happy that he didn't! Keir Gilchrist is a promising young actor and a worthy successor for the Cera throne.

Hereafter

2.5/5

This is one uneven movie, both in terms of narrative and effects. Eastwood tries to make a "Babel" but fails on banal story telling and unengaging plot fragmentation. It also suffers from an underwhelming soundtrack, which discharges many scenes. The only good thing about it is it way of reminding why I have always loved miss Howard! Hereafter is otherwise an overrated movie by an overestimated director.

The Green Hornet

3/5

I was surprised that this wasn't as bad as critics had suggested. Sure it isn't the greatest action hero movie out there but it isn't the worst either! Solid action scenes with a touch of "chuck". Even though I was skeptic at first I really think they have made an adequate reinvention by incorporating humor. I think this in a way is Gondry's homage to Blake Edwards, you'll know what I'm talking about when you see the "fighting Kato" scene!

Tangled

4/5

How do you know that an animated motion picture is made for kids and not adults? By its characters suddenly bursting into song and dance! I really had hoped that after the success of features like "Shrek" Disney had learned a lesson and put charades behind but it seems not, and unfortunately its what drags down this perfectly animated feature!

I too saw Tangled this week pourya jan. I have to confess, it wasn't the best Disney animation, but i loved it. It's humour was spot on and had an animated protagonist that could easily form a formidable franchise.

Oh I agree, except for its musical numbers it was what I had expected! Much Shrek inspired in its humour and Zachary Levi (Chuck) made a an excellent voice over, I I couldn't help but to see his real face in front of me hehe :D

True Grit

3/5

I haven't seen the original so I am not taking the path of comparison. But I have one question, the fact that this looks like an extended episode of Dr. Quinn does that mean that Dr. Quinn was an exceptionally cinematic series or that this is television quality cinema? The filthy and cold western authenticity everyone seems to be talking about was nothing I manged to see, instead there were padded characters, sugar-coated dialogs and a horrible, horrible sound-track! So awfully generic that it deserved all Oscars it had been nominated for!

The King's Speech

5/5

A well-told and well-played film, which deserves its golden baldies. The only shame is that Geoffrey Rush did not receive any statue for his brilliant performance!

Completely agree, for once a film that actually deserved an Oscar. Though I didn't think it was Firth's best performance. I remember seeing Firth in the BBC Pride and Prejudice series all those years ago and was convinced of his talent back then. He has adapted well to the larger audience, forging a Hollywood status at a later age is also equally admirable. So glad he avoided the usual British romcom quagmire that Hugh Grant and many others fell into.

Unfortunately as great as he is I still do not see Firth as a versatile actor, he might play a homosexual but still his portrayals are very limited to reserved characters. They are very ...British! If he ever loosens up and takes on a more eccentric and flamboyant character then I will reconsider.

I don't know pourya jan, I've seen Firth in comedic, dramatic and thriller roles. Each of which he has adapted to with equal poise and capability.

The ones I have seen, even comedies like B Jones Diary, he plays a restricted character. Hopefully I get to see him in something completely different one day. Just like Ben Kingsley and Geoffrey Rush.

Btw, I'm so looking forward to sucker punch! it is really short in running time but hopefully long enough!

Yea looks quite good from what i've seen. i noticed Abbie Cornish has partially stripped for GQ too, to help promote SP obviously hehe :brows:

London Boulevard

2/5

Visually this looks like to belong to a certain British genre, but stylistically it doesn't. It comes extremely short in terms of substance with a lot of pale characters and poor story development. Elements borrowed here and there with no proper synthesis. The only thing about this that is ace is its fantastic soundtrack! Which tries its best to make this a cool movie, but fails.