Forum | Bia2.com

Iran or Persia?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What name suits our country the best?

• Yes, I fully support Iran as the official name of our country
    • Yes, I am totally with Persia as the official name of our country

Iran should not be called PERSIA, iran is a mixture of variety of nations, persians only comprise 45% of iranian population...

as a KURD, i reject this idea..i agree in one condition: when an independent kurdistan state will estabilsh

post-1268-1130674335.jpg

Iran should not be called PERSIA, iran is a mixture of variety of nations, persians only comprise 45% of iranian population...

as a KURD, i reject this idea..i agree in one condition: when an independent kurdistan state will estabilsh

The name is persia already and you can't do nothin about it :D .

Guest arian

That's good for you!

But instead of twisting numbers of the percentage of the Iranian population, We would like an answer from you in the previous threads you participated in.

hi guys...jus wondering wot people think.....coz for me i wud prefer iran to be called PERSIA.....for historical reasons as well as political ones........

so how bout u? :friends:

man shakhsan doost daram ke be iran begam persia. Hala har ki mikhad mitune begeh man khejalat mi kesham begam iran ama baba joon ghasieh inna nist balke kalameye persia khalestare. :yeah: :yeah:

Well I like Iran...isn't that what people in Iran call it? I never heard someone in Iran say Persia...

So what if the name Persia sounds better..that's stupid

"Persia comprised all or parts of what we know of today as Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Tadjikistan, Georgia, Daghestan, Uzbekistan, and Pakistan."

I know that my family isn't from Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Tadjikistan, Georgia, Daghestan, Uzbekistan, or Pakistan.......so I say I'm Iranian..I'm not trying to impress anyone

hi guys...jus wondering wot people think.....coz for me i wud prefer iran to be called PERSIA.....for historical reasons as well as political ones........

so how bout u? :friends:

man shakhsan doost daram ke be iran begam persia. Hala har ki mikhad mitune begeh man khejalat mi kesham begam iran ama baba joon ghasieh inna nist balke kalameye persia khalestare. :yeah: :yeah:

i see wot u mean. thanks for the reply.xxxx

Mahnand = very gd points....i agree....xxxxxxxx*kisses*

Well I like Iran...isn't that what people in Iran call it? I never heard someone in Iran say Persia...

So what if the name Persia sounds better..that's stupid

"Persia comprised all or parts of what we know of today as Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Tadjikistan, Georgia, Daghestan, Uzbekistan, and Pakistan."

I know that my family isn't from Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Tadjikistan, Georgia, Daghestan, Uzbekistan, or Pakistan.......so I say I'm Iranian..I'm not trying to impress anyone

well said azizam :DD :clap2: :gentleman_in_wft[1]:

Persia sounds cool to me.

Like that game "Prince of Persia" that I was never able to beat.

Sweet game though!

I did beat the 1st one, the second I came to the final battle but got toppled!! :bash:

Man you have more patience than I.

the 3rd and last part is coming next month! I am not even gonna take on that challenge! :damn:

Sure you can. Think of yourself as the hero and think of the last boss as Ahmadinejad.

:warrior_-_wft:

Persia= sounds the best. turns girls on. Plus it lets the world know weve been around for 5000 yrs.

I pick persia

"turns girls on" loooool what girls are turned on by the name Persia? :D:)))

Say what?

umm IRAN....persian no longer lives.....well yea in our hearts it does...but that name was in the past.....you can no longer find persia on any map or any geographic information......its iran and being a irany so say it w/ pride

and its not pernounced I-RAN....where did you run to? its EERAN......

I am Persian, but I much prefer the name Iran.

To be honest, I think Persia sounds fancier, and that it has a better tone, and that it is in more harmony with historical stuff like the Persian Gulf, Persian poetry; it is also related to Persian carpet, persian cat, persian rummy, persian caviar, etc. BUT I choose Iran for the following reasons:

(1) Iran is the oldest name and the only name really that we Iranians have called Iran inside of Iran. The name of Iran is derived from the book of Avesta which calls this land Iran-Vej. The Shahnameh also refers to it as Iran or Iran Zamin.

(2) Iran includes more than just Persians. It includes Kurds (who are original Iranians and should always be an important part of Iran), Azeris, Gilakis, Baluch, etc.

(3) Believe it or not, but the use of the name Persia can be used, and I believe is used, as treason by some Iranians, and as a plot by some westerners, to cut Iran apart. Once you call it Persia, the areas of the Kurds, Azeris, Baluchs, etc, can be cut off b/c they are not "Persian.

Iran is and has always been diverse. That is what has made us strong. In fact, if you look at history, those countries that are diverse have always been the most successful and have done the best and lasted the longest. Today, with the situation taht Iran can be cut into pieces by treason and foreign plot, I believe that it is very important that we stick to the name Iran, which has its roots of over 3,000 years, starting with Avesta.

With so many issues learking about Iran, that name unifies us even though we may be from different backgrounds such as Kurd, Azeri, Persian. I think it is very important to do all we can to be united and not break into pieces in order to stay strong. :)

^^ Agree! Iran is the origional name of our land. 'Persia' is what another set of oppressors named Iran and it was right to have been ousted... for the very same reason when speaking English... as 'Persia' is a Greek word it is correct to use it, regardless to what Iran is called. Maybe if it happened sooner 'Iran' wouldnt be tainted like it is today. In addition 'Persia/Persian' is what American Iranians use to protect themselves from racism (well thats what i noticed when i went to the US)

I think that bringing back origional terms in Iran is better... one thing that gets me is WHY ppl call Parsa 'Takhte Jamshid' its not called that and Perseopis is the Greek term for it... prolly lots more examples (Naqshe Rostam etc) im too lazy to think of em :p

Iran ... I prefer Iran . is lovely name for our country :) .

I agree with keano. i used to call it persia/persian too, but after reading on Iran alittle more i realize it's not right

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------

The people of Iran:

Persians 33,000,000 49%

Azeris 12,000,000 18%

Kurds 6,600,000 10%

Gilakis 3,700,000 6%

Lors 3,000,000 4%

Maz-anis 2,700,000 4%

Baluchis 1,600,000 2.4%

Arab s 1,600,000 2.4%

Bakhtiaris 1,300,000 1.9%

Turkmens 1,100,000 1.6%

Armenians 400,000 0.6%

See Persians only 49% Meanwhile all if these exept Turkmens & Arabs are Iranic people (some would say Azeris arent but i say they are)

I think Iran is more representative plus if Iranians are really worried about people not distinguing them from others, they should follow this advice :D

LORS and BAKHTIARIS belong to kurds... we kurds do not prefer to live in a country called PERSIA...

It's Iran. We always referred to Iran as Iran and never as Persia! Persia is what other nations named us, therefore not the real name of our country.

I can't stand it when people say 'oh i'm persian'....i'm sorry? what?

Iran and Iranian are NOT dirty words for me. It's a shame some Iranians feel it to be so. I blame it on the Western media, but regardless of what the media says and whether you agree with your country's government of not, you should always be proud of where you come from.

It's very simple, in a very east to understand language Persian is an ethnicity, while Iranian is nationality, we have a huge variety of different ethnicities in Iran and it's quite unfar to call the entire nation "Persian" , this may one day divide our country!

BTW I just added a poll to this thread!

• Like 1

Man fekr nakonam digeh esm-e Persia bekhad kasi bezare ruye Iran ! vali who knows ...

I voted for : Yes, I fully support Iran as the official name of our country .

Thank you Mr King :) .

It's Iran. We always referred to Iran as Iran and never as Persia! Persia is what other nations named us, therefore not the real name of our country.

I can't stand it when people say 'oh i'm persian'....i'm sorry? what?

Iran and Iranian are NOT dirty words for me. It's a shame some Iranians feel it to be so. I blame it on the Western media, but regardless of what the media says and whether you agree with your country's government of not, you should always be proud of where you come from.

Well said

I like Persia because some people confuse Iran witch Irak