Forum | Bia2.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest arian

What is "farsi"?

Guest arian

I've noticed that people here used the word farsi when refering to our language both in English and in Persian, this is wrong!:

Let's begin with what itäs called in Persian, Parsi.

Pars was the name of our country Arabs called it Fars (they don't have the letter P), Parsi is the correct name for our language, Arabs naturally call it Farsi. Therefore Farsi is the Arabic word for Persian so when saying Farsi when speaking Persian is like saying "I speak Francais" or "Je parle English", It's just wrong.

Infact the great Ferdowsi himself said: "Basi ranj bordam dar in sal si, ajam zende kardam be din Parsi..."

Now let's move on to it's correct name in English, Persian:

We must observe what effect this name has in the minds of foreigners, not in the minds of Iranians. We must not be prejudiced and think that only because we ourselves say Parsi (or farsi), foreigners must also say use the same name.

The change of the name Persian to "farsi" in recent years have created a gap between Persian its historical and cultural past in the minds of the people of the world.

In 1935, the Persian government requested all countries to use the words "Iran" and "Iranian" in their official correspondence instead of "Persia" and "Persian." Therefore the two words which embrace all the history and culture of Persia abroad gradually faded out of public usage in foreign languages; only the word "Persian" remained to denote the Persian language.

However, in recent years and following the emigration of hundreds of thousands of Persians, the lack of knowledge and attention on the part of some of us paid to this issue, regrettably, the term "Farsi," instead of "Persian," has entered Western languages (especially English) a completely new word in Western literature which is in no way representative of Persian history and literature!

Apparently,no one has been as dedicated to destroying our cultural heritage as much as we ourselves!

School books for teaching English, were until recently insistent upon using "Farsi" instead of "Persian", English-language newspapers published in Tehran, English-language television programs, the live program which is currently being broadcast by the international television network, Sahar, entitled, "Let's Learn Farsi" , the Satelite channels from L.A. and even VOA Persian.

The increasing use of "Farsi" in Voice of America Persian has caused this term to enter world encyclopedias!

In recent years, under the adjective "Persian", Oxford University Press has added: "Now usually called Iranian or Farsi", What a total destruction!

It must be emphasized that Parsi is the native name for our language while "Persian" is its international equivalent just as, for example, the native names for the German and Greek languages are Deutsch and Hellenika, while they are never used in English.

Apparently a completely wrong idea exists among some of us that "Persia" is a dead historical word, representing the Zoroastrian culture, but without any prejudice and considering historical research, one must easily accept the fact that Persia is the English equivalent of Iran.

Today's Iran is the same Persia. Political and cultural changes that exist in the history of most nations are no reason for a change in the nation's historical name or language!

In order to protect national interests and the country's history, we must remain faithful in using the adjective "Persian" for anything that is related to Persia its history, civilization, culture, art, language, and people.

So throw out "farsi", it is neither the proper Persian or english name!

In English it's called Persian and in Persian it's called Parsi!

Guest arian

A walkthrough of how the destruction takes place:

Kandabe Pars -> Kandabe Fars -> Khalije Fars -> Khalije arabi

See how easy it is? It all begins with "farsi"...

Never say "farsi" :no:

Save the Persian Culture!

No to "fars","farsi" and "khalije fars"

Yes to Pars, Parsi and Kandabe Pars,

Yes to Persia, Persian and the Persian gulf.

Good points bro!

you bring up some good points but.. Universally its known for being Farsi and/or Persian, i dont see what the point is in changing something this irrelevant, Next thing you know they want to change the Language since its in midified arabic script and change anything thats even remotely Arabic, live in the Now, not the past...

Guest arian
you bring up some good points but.. Universally its known for being Farsi and/or Persian, i dont see what the point is in changing something this irrelevant, Next thing you know they want to change the Language since its in midified arabic script and change anything thats even remotely Arabic, live in the Now, not the past...

63925[/snapback]

Yeah live in the now, let's destroy everything Persian, what is persia and what is Persian? :bash:

Let's be good little arabs that speak "farsi" , ok?!?!

Morde bad "farsi"

Yeah live in the now, let's destroy everything Persian, what is persia and what is Persian? :bash:

Morde bad "farsi"

64006[/snapback]

Are dadash, Since you want to eradicate any Arab influence from Iran, Take your Arabic written name out of your signature, Oh i meant Parsi...

63925[/snapback]

actually i agree with u boxcutter i don't think that it is a very big deal and i think that our language should just be unique and stay the way it is and not have everything change for it to be similar to the Arabic language

Guest arian

Morde bad "farsi"

64006[/snapback]

Are dadash, Since you want to eradicate any Arab influence from Iran, Take your Arabic written name out of your signature, Oh i meant Parsi...

64076[/snapback]

As long as this is our alfabet this is how i will write my name, using the Arabic alfabet is no reason to destroy the language. :no:

In the 30's Ataturk, cleaned up the Turkish language by reducing it's Persian and Arabic words from 65% to 25% which the current turkish have. When there is a government in place who is for Irans interests they will clean up the Persian language from it's 30% foreign words.

In a way I agree with both Arian and Boxcutter.

Yes, it’s Parsi…..but that was a long time ago and it got changed eventually. Everything changes with time. Slang becomes so common they end up in dictionaries and as such become actual words.

So yes we do have a few foreign….what language doesn’t?

We say television…we don’t say seda va sima….we say computer…we don’t say rayaneh!

We say salam…we don’t say ba dorood.

So many words. In fact the first couple are a few examples of the government creating Persian words for foreign words….it hasn’t worked..people still say television and computer.

Infact I don’t think what the names of things, especially languages are that important. Yes it would be nice to have complete 100% identity of the glory days that were 1000 years back! But we have evolved and have to live in the now and look for a better future and the future is not about being stuck on the past.

Furthermore, the more pressing issue when it comes to history and culture is that the world is extremely unfamiliar with the Persian civilization which was infact the greatest civilization to exist. With many inventions and contributions to the way we live today. We have had greeks, romans, and arabs say they made contributions to certain aspects of today’s world when infact they were Persians.

it's not about destroying anything persian. actually everything about us is persian....is iranian. No society gets stuck in a century. Events happen that will change us, society, languages, and culture.

We shouldn't forget our past but we shouldn't stop our growth either!

Guest arian
Yes, it’s Parsi…..but that was a long time ago and it got changed eventually. Everything changes with time.

why did it change? not because of time, cause of the 500 year arab occupation.

Slang becomes so common they end up in dictionaries and as such become actual words.

But can it really be classified as slang? is Tyska slang for German?

So yes we do have a few foreign….what language doesn’t?

We say television…we don’t say seda va sima….we say computer…we don’t say rayaneh!

I agree with u, Campouter and Television are the same in every language no on is going to say rayane. but seda va sima dont mean television it's the name of the ministry that runs it.

So many words. In fact the first couple are a few examples of the government creating Persian words for foreign words….it hasn’t worked..people still say television and computer.

Government doens even care, in the news they talk about the"havades", not pishamad.

And in the Islamic Republic school books one can find such words, such as "veda", "yaqin kard" and "moqararat", USELESS

Infact I don’t think what the names of things, especially languages are that important. Yes it would be nice to have complete 100% identity of the glory days that were 1000 years back! But we have evolved and have to live in the now and look for a better future and the future is not about being stuck on the past.

But saying Persian wont gve us back the identity we had 1400 years ago (in those days Iran was under occupation, but i know what u mean). It will give us An identity. Almost every country has a departement that focus on preserving and exporting their Language and Culture, in Iran it is the hands of the "Ministry of tourism & Islamic guidance", so one is not surprised why it is this way.

Almost everyone else, Turks, arabs,greeks romans and chinese are keen on preserving their separate identity, why shouldnt we?

Furthermore, the more pressing issue when it comes to history and culture is that the world is extremely unfamiliar with the Persian civilization which was infact the greatest civilization to exist. With many inventions and contributions to the way we live today. We have had greeks, romans, and arabs say they made contributions to certain aspects of today’s world when infact they were Persians.

Exactly, Today any average person won't know which countries persians come from, they wont even know that Iranians are not arabs, and when news stations keep saying "farsi" and most importantly when Iranians say "farsi" people will never be able to connect Persia with Iran.

it's not about destroying anything persian. actually everything about us is persian....is iranian. No society gets stuck in a century. Events happen that will change us, society, languages, and culture.

Political and cultural changes that exist in the history of most nations are no reason for a change in the nation's historical name or language.

We shouldn't forget our past but we shouldn't stop our growth either!

Please, what growth?

We havent had growth for the last 26 years, ....

Or have i missed something? :wub:

Guest arian
We say salam…we don’t say ba dorood.

belive it or not, I say doroud as much as possible :ssoorryy:

Here are other words i also use (well atleast i try tu use them as much as i can):

Xodahafez -> Xodanegahdar, Bedrod.

Barikalla -> Afarin

Shamsi -> Xorshidi

Vatan -> MIHAN

Shab/roz bekheir -> Shab/roz khosh

Esm -> NAM

Soal -> Porsesh

Javab -> Pasox

eid (i.e. eid norouz) -> Jashn

Mobarak bad -> Farxonde bad, Piroz bad, Xojaste bad, Shad bad.

Zelzeleh -> Zamin larze

Sohbat -> Soxan, Goftogo

Sobh -> Bamdad

Qabl -> Pish

Bad az -> Pas az, Sepas

Rajebe -> Darbare ye

Mohtaram -> Gerami, Arjmand

Jadid -> No

Daxel -> Tou

Tabliqat -> Agahi (Payamhaye Bazargani is to long, no one will actually use it)

Merci, Mochaker -> Sepâs, Sepâsgozaram.

:dance:

why not call it rayane?

you're just against arabs and anything islamic.

as such i will be wasting my breath

:dance: :dance:

Guest arian
why not call it rayane?

:dance:  :dance:

64460[/snapback]

I write a whole page and this is ur answer?

why not call it rayane?
'

U'r free to do it.

And where did i say any of that that?

I'm not against arabs and not against anything Islamic.

I don't want persian and arabic to be mixed. This is not wierd in anyway, infact most arabs are aslo like this.

:dance: :dance:

true that you wrote a whole page

but i'll probably write the same opinion using different examples and different approaches to which you will write the same opinion using different examples and different approaches. And besides i already know your reply before I write mine! ;)

and i reached my conclusion based on the way you have written. ofcourse i could be wrong....but i doubt it. :)

Guest arian

but i'll probably write the same opinion using different examples and different approaches to which you will write the same opinion using different examples and different approaches. And besides  i already know your reply before I write mine! ;)

and i reached my conclusion based on the way you have written. ofcourse i could be wrong....but i doubt it. :)

64466[/snapback]

And yet you don't proove in anyway how i said that i were against anything arab and islamic, why? because im not and i have never said that.

And u'r typical Iranian assumption won't work on me.

Arian, i realli think ur a radical. Rite now it doesnt seem like it, it was like wen peeps put the aytollah's in power, they believed in him and his views. But wen they came here they realized their views were sort of communist. Rite now u think u got to give power to the peep. But look at the US, we got Bush in power, were trillions of dollars in debt, social security will come bak to bite us in the a**, Congress is entirely republician, George Bush can say the cauz of the war is weapons of mass destruction, but now the reason is to liberate the IRaqi peep & we lose support of many nations. Even though many have soldiers in Iraq. Their peep strongly are against it and hate americans even more. If George Bush has power to do wut he wishes its not democracy, its sort of a communistic capitalistic society.

My main thing is u cant be against islamic regimes, bc the capitalistic democracy we got in here. Has its faults, wen The entire govt is republician u can do anething u want. Islamic regimes, hurt other religions and suppress woman. But it sort of brought everone together in the 80's. Everything has faults, some have bigger ones than others.

I've noticed that people here used the word farsi when refering to our language both in English and in Persian, this is wrong!:

Let's begin with what itäs called in Persian, Parsi.

Pars was the name of our country Arabs called it Fars (they don't have the letter P), Parsi is the correct name for our language, Arabs naturally call it Farsi. Therefore Farsi is the Arabic word for Persian so when saying Farsi when speaking Persian is like saying "I speak Francais" or "Je parle English",  It's just wrong.

Infact the great Ferdowsi himself said: "Basi ranj bordam dar in sal si, ajam zende kardam be din Parsi..."

Now let's move on to it's correct name in English, Persian:

We must observe what effect this name has in the minds of foreigners, not in the minds of Iranians. We must not be prejudiced and think that only because we ourselves say Parsi (or farsi), foreigners must also say use the same name.

The change of the name Persian to "farsi" in recent years have created a gap between Persian its historical and cultural past in the minds of the people of the world.

In 1935, the Persian government requested all countries to use the words "Iran" and "Iranian" in their official correspondence instead of "Persia" and "Persian." Therefore the two words which embrace all the history and culture of Persia abroad gradually faded out of public usage in foreign languages; only the word "Persian" remained to denote the Persian language.

However, in recent years and following the emigration of hundreds of thousands of Persians, the lack of knowledge and attention on the part of some of us paid to this issue,  regrettably, the term "Farsi," instead of "Persian," has entered Western languages (especially English) a completely new word in Western literature which is in no way representative of Persian history and literature!

Apparently,no one has been as dedicated to destroying our cultural heritage as much as we ourselves!

School books for teaching English, were until recently insistent upon using "Farsi" instead of "Persian", English-language newspapers published in Tehran, English-language television programs, the live program which is currently being broadcast by the international television network, Sahar, entitled, "Let's Learn Farsi" , the Satelite channels from L.A. and even VOA Persian.

The increasing use of "Farsi" in Voice of America Persian has caused this term to enter world encyclopedias!

In recent years, under the adjective "Persian", Oxford University Press has added: "Now usually called Iranian or Farsi", What a total destruction!

It must be emphasized that Parsi is the native name for our language while "Persian" is its international equivalent just as, for example, the native names for the German and Greek languages are Deutsch and Hellenika, while they are never used in English.

Apparently a completely wrong idea exists among some of us that "Persia" is a dead historical word, representing the Zoroastrian culture, but without any prejudice and considering historical research, one must easily accept the fact that Persia is the English equivalent of Iran.

Today's Iran is the same Persia. Political and cultural changes that exist in the history of most nations are no reason for a change in the nation's historical name or language!

In order to protect national interests and the country's history, we must remain faithful in using the adjective "Persian" for anything that is related to Persia its history, civilization, culture, art, language, and people.

So throw out "farsi", it is neither the proper Persian or english name!

In English it's called Persian and in Persian it's called Parsi!

63785[/snapback]

I neva use Farsi, its persian to me and i still call it persia instead of Iran. I like Persia or persian better than iran or farsi. Mainly bc its sounds better, farsi sounds islamic.

Guest arian
Arian, i realli think ur a radical. Rite now it doesnt seem like it, it was like wen peeps put the aytollah's in power, they believed in him and his views. But wen they came here they realized their views were sort of communist. Rite now u think u got to give power to the peep.

Why r u comparing me with Khomeini, i'm a really that bad :)))

But look at the US, we got Bush in power, were trillions of dollars in debt, social security will come bak to bite us in the a**, Congress is entirely republician,

Ahem...Why did the majority of Americans vote republican? I really dont care about what Bush has in mind for america all i know is " AS YOU(Iranians) STAD FOR YOUR(Iranian peeps) FREEDOM, AMERICA STANDS WITH YOU(Iranian peeps)"

George Bush can say the cauz of the war is weapons of mass destruction, but now the reason is to liberate the IRaqi peep & we lose support of many nations.

I agree with u, i think the reason should have been liberating the Iraqi peeps from the begining.

Even though many have soldiers in Iraq. Their peep strongly are against it and hate americans even more.

According to recent polls conducted by Iraqi newspapesr Iraqis support both the hard crackdown on insurgents and the Un resolution 1546 which gives the power of Iraq to the Iraqis but say that American soldiers should stay and assist the Iraqis as long as they're needed. The Insurgents might be fighting america but for the Iraqi people the Insurgents are the BIGANEGAN

ofcourse none of these polls will Ever appear in the mainstream media, but thanks to the bloggosphere, the only independent media, we can all see them:

Haider Ajina has translated for us a poll that appeared in the Iraqi newspaper Al-Sabah Al-Jadid. The poll surveyed 2,878 Iraqis in and around Baghdad:

Do you support the severe measures the Iraqi Government is taking against terrorist acts in Iraq?

93.56% = Yes

6.44% = No

How do you think Arabic satellite news companies are covering Iraqi news?

Neutral = 16.75%

Not Neutral = 7.25%

Negatively Biased = 76%

What is your opinion of U.N. Resolution 1546?

It achieves the ambitions of Iraqis for sovereignty = 73.12%

It satisfies ambition of certain Iraqi groups = 12.90%

It helps legitimizing the American occupation = 13.98%

----

From correspondent and translator Haider Ajina, here's the latest opinion poll of 970 residents of Baghdad, published in the March 21 edition of "Iraquna" newspaper:

"Are you in favor of implementing Islamic Sharia and an Islamic government?

Yes - 12.5%

No - 83.9%

Don't Know - 3.6%"

"Do you support cutting relations with Jordan?

Yes - 85.2%

No - 14.1%

Don't know - less than 1%"

"Do you support what Al-Sadr followers did in Basrah?

Yes - 6.6%

No - 90.4%

Don't know - 3%"

If George Bush has power to do wut he wishes its not democracy, its sort of a communistic capitalistic society.

Islamic regimes, hurt other religions and suppress woman. But it sort of brought everone together in the 80's. Everything has faults, some have bigger ones than others.

And i say shame on the Iranian leftists and atheists for supporting the ruhollah by voluntarly putting on their hejab, growing beard and not working hard enough for a democratic republic. :no:

but i'll probably write the same opinion using different examples and different approaches to which you will write the same opinion using different examples and different approaches. And besides  i already know your reply before I write mine! ;)

64466[/snapback]

And yet you don't proove in anyway how i said that i were against anything arab and islamic, why? because im not and i have never said that.

And u'r typical Iranian assumption won't work on me.

64467[/snapback]

I’m positive on my assumptions. Just the way you write. You’re against all Arab worlds in the PARSI language…yet not against any English or French words in the language…because you say it’s the same in ALL languages. You’re contradicting yourself. By the way, computer in French is called ordinateur and yes it is used widely by the French people. So as you see it’s NOT the same in every language. Anyways, I was born with my natural intuition!! Lol!!

We already have an identity. You have to be proud of who you are. And that means accepting everything that has occurred in your life and in your history because that has made you who you are.

You think that we have seen growth before the Islamic republic and not during. I’m not really going to comment on anything political but I believe you’re wrong. We always growing – sometimes it’s just difficult to recognize.

Anyways, we have two different ways of looking at things. Doesn’t mean you’re wrong or I’m wrong. Just different.

Guest arian
I’m positive on my assumptions. Just the way you write. You’re against all Arab worlds in the PARSI language…yet not against any English or French words in the language

No dear, This only shows that already have made up ur mind about me and so u dont even bother to read what i write.

i said:

When there is a government in place who is for Irans interests they will clean up the Persian language from it's 30% foreign words.

U can go back and check. :k

because you say it’s the same in ALL languages. You’re contradicting yourself. By the way, computer in French is called ordinateur and yes it is used widely by the French people.

Ok, the French might say l'ordinateur and not Computer but they do say télévision or La Tele, dont they? Just as Iranians say Televizion, or Arabs say Telefision and swedes say teve,Television and the Ducth say televisie , u want me to go on?

Also obviously u have nothing to say so ur going back to the old messages, but since were talking about contradiction, u said:

why not call it rayane?

yet sepas this is the second ur "wasting ur breath on me".

I was born with my natural intuition!! Lol!!

Yeah 90% of Iranian have this 'natural intuition', which is why in Iranians forums i have been called:

-An American Puppet/Spy of Cia, Mossad AND A-pro IRI sympathizer, Iri SPY. :haha: :haha:

-I have been accused of being a Tazi parast and now u completed the match for me by calling me anti-Arab. :haha: :haha:

Ur "intuition" is what my grandmother calls the Iranian disease, and ur not the only one possesing it. :dance:

We already have an identity. You have to be proud of who you are. And that means accepting everything that has occurred in your life and in your history because that has made you who you are.

I'm proud of who i am, Accepting everything that has occured in your life and in ur history is still no reason for THE BRUTAL DESTRUCTION OF OUR LANGUAGE/CULTURE.

You think that we have seen growth before the Islamic republic and not during. I’m not really going to comment on anything political but I believe you’re wrong. We always growing – sometimes it’s just difficult to recognize.

Do u mind telling me? Is it cultural growth? economical? equality between the sexes? or equality between diffrent religions/ethnic groups?

or growth in the number of drug addicts, prostitutes, political prisoners and executions?

Guest Guest

The desperate Ataturk ambitions you have on this board died along with Reza Shah Pahlavi, like i said, Dont live in the past.. By your Logic we are "Good little Arabs" for using foreign Influence in our language when Avestan and Pahlavi have influences from ancient Greece, Indian and Aramaic. So switching back would make us Good little "Greek, Indians and Arams".

Guest arian
The desperate Ataturk ambitions you have on this board died along with Reza Shah Pahlavi, like i said, Dont live in the past..  By your Logic we are "Good little Arabs" for using foreign Influence in our language when Avestan and Pahlavi have influences from ancient Greece, Indian and Aramaic. So switching back would make us Good little "Greek, Indians and Arams".

64743[/snapback]

Without Atatürk's modernization, Turkey would not be allowed to join the EU in the coming ten years, if it weren't for atatürk they wouldn't even be able to join in 50 YEARS!

And If it were not for Pahlavi Iran would be like Afghanistan, today!

I as a republican give the Pahlavis full credit for the fact that Iranians are the most liberal peeps in the reigon, and is it is solely thx to them that (& Mossadeqs reforms were also good in the short period he was i power) that the peeps of Iran today dares to punch the ISLAMO-FACISTS in their face everytime they go out.

36.jpg

21.jpg

3.jpg

LOOK AT THAT BODY :dance:

Long live the Iranian heroes, Mossadeq & the Pahlavis who together brought Iran out from feudalism, social indiffrences, nationalized the oil industry and took Iran to the 21 century

Death to the ISLAMO-FACIST GAV AND OLAQA who made women their property, and destroyed the country and tried taking it back to the 600 century.

Ofcourse u might not like them as they prevented peeps like u from owning sveral wives.

Guest arian
By your Logic we are "Good little Arabs" for using foreign Influence in our language when Avestan and Pahlavi have influences from ancient Greece, Indian and Aramaic. So switching back would make us Good little "Greek, Indians and Arams".

64743[/snapback]

I didn't say that we should switch back to anything, neither did i say we should change the alfabet. I'm Saying that we should change the language to Persian, Parsi is Persian, it is not arabic, greek, indian, turkish or aramic.