99 replies to this topic

#1 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:46 AM

Since there are many fans of so called ”foreign movies (non-American)” in our forum, I’ll start this thread for us to recommend and discuss titles that we’ve watched.

1-I already mentioned the Italian Malena, a humorous and nostalgic storyline, beautifully shot which was to me personally reminiscent of Kermani’s ”Ghessehaaye Majid” (the books and not the dreadful TV-version!)

Malena

2-another one is the Mexican Y Tu Mama Tambien (And Your Mother Too), which means "nanato ham... ;) " in Persian slang, A sexy, funny ROAD MOVIE with implicit references to the Latin American socio-political issues! Catch the uncensored version!

Y Tu Mama Tambien

3-I personally love the open mind the European movies have on the whole sexuality, and it is reflected artistically in their products! ”Sex and Lucia” is another Spanish movie that I enjoyed, a beautifully shot blend of Drama and Erotica! Catch the uncensored version, Nice to watch with your partner! ;)

Sex and Lucia

“Everything interests me, but nothing holds me.” — Fernando Pessoa

#2 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:34 AM

Another movie I found interesting was the "Monsoon Wedding" which many think is a BOLLYWOOD production, but it isn't! it is a very funny movie about a family who gather for a wedding in the modern India with members coming from all over the world, some traditional and some westernised! the storyline can also apply to those Iranians who travel home and meet a culture-crash!

Monsoon Wedding

#3 DonYaA

DonYaA

Bia2 Extreme pro

• Members:
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 04:54 PM

The Monsoon Wedding is a very good movie! I loved it when I saw it :)

#4 *dodo*

*dodo*

Bia2 Veteran

• Members:
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 05:24 PM

i actually didnt find monsoon wedding that good. Last night i watch a greek movie it was called "dirt poor inc" or "poor dirt inc" one or the other. THe humor in the movie was fantastic, thier were lines in it that when you still think about you laugh. A fantastic movie, it has a very different story line. A very fun movie.

#5 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 05:37 AM

Halfaouine

If you liked Malena, then there is Halfaouine an older movie with a similar theme but with an Arabic/North African twist to it! this award-winning film is kind of hard, if not impossible to find on DVD but it's available on rare VHS!

and I am a proud owner of one! :D

#6 shazdeh_khanom

shazdeh_khanom

Bia2 Semi Pro

• Members:
  • PipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 03:50 AM

Kermani’s ”Ghessehaaye Majid” (the books and not the dreadful TV-version!)

As much as i hate to disagree with you, i think it would be kinda unfair to call the TV series dreadful, i saw it when i was in primary school, but as much as i can remember, i thought the TV series, and the acting in particular [both Majeed and his granny] was a masterpiece, they made it look very believable and natural and i looooveeed the Esfehani accent! feel free to disagree :DD :DD :DD
تو كه هستي در كنارم ديگه چيزي كم ندارم
قصه رو نمي شناسم غمي نيست تو روزگارم
جز تو اي بود و نبودم به كسي عشق نمي ورزم
بنويس رو هر چي سايه ست ديگه از شب نمي ترسم
ديگه از شب نمي ترسم
تا نگام به بوسه پيوست تا زماني كه نفس هست
تا كه جون نرفته از دست تو رو تنها نمي ذارم
تو رو تنها نمي دارم

#7 shazdeh_khanom

shazdeh_khanom

Bia2 Semi Pro

• Members:
  • PipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 03:55 AM

I highly recommend La Vita e Bella (Life is Beautiful)– the Italian version and not the dreadful –to borrow the phrase from Pourya- English version, it’s soooooooooooo beautifully depicted and it makes u cry and laugh and appreciate life more :k
ديگه از شب نمي ترسم
تو رو تنها نمي دارم

#8 *dodo*

*dodo*

Bia2 Veteran

• Members:
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:15 AM

I highly recommend La Vita e Bella (Life is Beautiful)– the Italian version and not the dreadful –to borrow the phrase from Pourya- English version, it’s soooooooooooo beautifully depicted and it makes u cry and laugh and appreciate life more :k

i love that movie. it really is beautiful and sad.

Also about majid series, WOW, i havent heard of him in ages. i use to love the series. i also were in primary school too. I think it was great. Maybe it was intended for more the younger age then the older. I have great memories of them. Two of the episodes i remember are when he goes to camp and when he has to go and buy watermelon because they were having visitors over.

ahhhh, the good old baby days. :rolleyes:

#9 Guest_Guest_pourya_*

Guest_Guest_pourya_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:34 AM

As much as i hate to disagree with you, i think it would be kinda unfair to call the TV series dreadful, i saw it when i was in primary school, but as much as i can remember, i thought the TV series, and the acting in particular [both Majeed and his granny] was a masterpiece, they made it look very believable and natural and i looooveeed the Esfehani accent! feel free to disagree :DD :DD :DD

Well hun! ;)

I loved the BOOKS more! And as much as the TV-version is entertaining it is dreadful in the sense that it is not faithful to the original story more than adopting some of the characters! Those who saw the series first, before reading the books do like the TV-version, but for us who read H. M. Kermani’s autobiographic books back in early 80’s (there was a RADIO-adaptation back in the 70’s) love the books more! Because the soul and humour in them are more profound than the TV-series!

And it’s funny that U mentioned the Esfehani dialect, because the original story takes place in KERMAN! And they talk ”kermooni”, not ”esfehooni”! that’s one of those things that went lost in the TV-adaptation! :rt ;)

If you can read Persian and get a chance to, I strongly recommend you the collected books of Majid (5 volumes in one!) :DD

#10 shazdeh_khanom

shazdeh_khanom

Bia2 Semi Pro

• Members:
  • PipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 08:47 AM

Also about majid series, WOW, i havent heard of him in ages. i use to love the series. i also were in primary school too. I think it was great. Maybe it was intended for more the younger age then the older. I have great memories of them. Two of the episodes i remember are when he goes to camp and when he has to go and buy watermelon because they were having visitors over.

ahhhh, the good old baby days. :rolleyes:

i knowww.....

that "ordoo" episode was the best, I remember when we went to “ordoos” with school, we’d sing the Mageed songs on the bus, “mirim ordoo, doo, doo, bara bazi, zi zi” lol!!! Don’t remember the rest!! –that and kolah ghermezi's song: "salei olagh e aziz, halet chetoreh"!lol!!’
I think the funnies episode was when he wanted to eat prawns and his granny wouldn’t allow him to have some, and she was like “pospor” nadareh- as opposed to “fosfor”.. lol!! that watermelon episode was funny too Akheiyyyy, yadesh bekheir :clap: :clap: :angel:
ديگه از شب نمي ترسم
تو رو تنها نمي دارم

#11 shazdeh_khanom

shazdeh_khanom

Bia2 Semi Pro

• Members:
  • PipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 08:57 AM

Well hun! ;)

I loved the BOOKS more! And as much as the TV-version is entertaining it is dreadful in the sense that it is not faithful to the original story more than adopting some of the characters! Those who saw the series first, before reading the books do like the TV-version, but for us who read H. M. Kermani’s autobiographic books back in early 80’s (there was a RADIO-adaptation back in the 70’s) love the books more! Because the soul and humour in them are more profound than the TV-series!

And it’s funny that U mentioned the Esfehani dialect, because the original story takes place in KERMAN! And they talk ”kermooni”, not ”esfehooni”! that’s one of those things that went lost in the TV-adaptation! :rt ;)

If you can read Persian and get a chance to, I strongly recommend you the collected books of Majid (5 volumes in one!) :DD

well, fair enough! :) :) i wasn’t aware that it was based on autobiography :b yes luckily I can read Farsi and thanx for recommending them, i'll add it to my list of "to do” things before i turn 30.
it;s funny how it was origianlly based in Kerman and they made it with Esfehani dialect! :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanx for the info :)
ديگه از شب نمي ترسم
تو رو تنها نمي دارم

#12 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 04:14 AM

U R most welcome khanoomi! ;)

#13 shazdeh_khanom

shazdeh_khanom

Bia2 Semi Pro

• Members:
  • PipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 06:59 AM

melci! :)
ديگه از شب نمي ترسم
تو رو تنها نمي دارم

#14 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:02 AM

HAS ANY ONE SEEN "Crimson Gold" ITS A PERSIAN FILM WHICH WAS NOT ALLOWED TO BE PLAYED IN IRAN. IVE HEARD GREAT REVIES ABOUT IT. AND I WILL BE WATCHING IT AS SOON AS I GET MY HANDS ON IT. IF ANY ONE HAS SEEN IT, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT IT.

http://www.wellsprin...8266691bd8616df

HERE IS THE WEBSITE FOR THE MOVIE.

#15 Guest_Guest_*dodo*_*

Guest_Guest_*dodo*_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:18 AM

that was me

and also the film MARYAM

#16 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:14 AM

"Crimson Gold" I havent seen and I have wanted to see Maryam since 1998! if it's the 70's inspired movie U r talking about!

#17 *dodo*

*dodo*

Bia2 Veteran

• Members:
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:38 PM

i thought the film maryam was released in 2000!!! it is an 70s inspired movie sorta thing. i really want to see, but unfortunitly its so hard to find movies that dont make it big in australia. :(

#18 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 12:44 AM

no I'm pretty sure that it was even made in 1996-1997! cuz it hit the theatres in 98! I remember cuz I was a retro freak back then and wanted to C that movie for its 70's details! :D

Posted Image

#19 *dodo*

*dodo*

Bia2 Veteran

• Members:
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 02:25 AM

coolies :)

#20 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:09 AM

recently I watched another movie by my fave Tunisian Director Ferid Boughedir:

A Summer in La Goulette (Une Été à la Goulette)
Posted Image

"Smart and Sensuous"
- Cameron Bailey, NOW Magazine

The year is 1967 in La Goulette - a small harbour town in the suburbs of Tunis where various cultures have lived together for ages in effortless harmony. Youssef, Jojo and Giuseppe are as inseparable as their three 16-year-old-daughters, Meriem, Gigi and Tina. In a fit of teenage provocation, the three girls swear that they'll lose their virginity by the day of the procession of the Madonna. To make matters worse, each of them has her eyes on a boy of a different religion, thus challenging an inviolable taboo. This leads the three families to cut off all ties with one another. But the bonds tying the three fathers are too strong. They end up making up, more like brothers than ever, just before the Six Day War breaks out in the Middle East, tearing apart Jews and Arabs the world over.

1997, Tunisia, 128 minutes. Arabic/French with English subtitles. MON009

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

my fave scene! (dont know why!!lol) :DD :wub:

Posted Image

I loved this movie, not as elaborate as his previous movie ”Halfaouine” of course! but the images were picturesque and he has a way to unveil the hypocrisies of the Islamic societies by humour and charm!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users