4 replies to this topic

#1 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:39 AM

So what are your thoughts about Babak Jahanbakhsh's new album "Oygen"? You can listen to the album here.

You can use the star emotions to rate the album on the forum.

My own thoughts on it will be written in this thread later today or tomorrow, I would however love to hear the others' opinion! 

“Everything interests me, but nothing holds me.” — Fernando Pessoa

#2 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

Here is my rating and review of the album:

:star1:  :star1:  :star1:  :star3:  :star3:

Oxygen is nothing we haven't heard before and I am not even sure its something that we have heard in the past three years! The production quality is nice and even but its also obsolete compared to most of the productions that are released these days. "Che Hesse Khoobi" is a CLUB track which doesn't really compete with the recent tracks of the same style. The album doesn't disappoint, especially his fans, but it doesn't really surprise those like me either. Having said that its not empty of experimentations either, songs like "Basse Dige" which blends in jazz and traditional Iranian instrumentation in his style, or "Faghat Be Eshghe To" which fuses the Bandari genre with CLUB, but neither work on a greater scale. The fans of Babak and this particular brand of Persian POP will enjoy this, especially those who are in love and need a soundtrack to their misery lol, but in general this is an album that sounds good but doesn't leave any impression or song that will be remebered by the public a couple of years from now. 

“Everything interests me, but nothing holds me.” — Fernando Pessoa

#3 PersianChord

PersianChord

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

So far I've only listened to the main track of this album called "Oxygen".  It's got a big problem. They failed to establish a chorus or a hook that would make this song memorable. I already forgot the song that I just listened to 5 minutes ago! In brief, it doesn't have a clear structure at all. It's almost two songs in one (although it's only 3:30 long). He keeps introducing a new melody every other line without going back to the main idea. Actually it never became clear what the main musical idea really was.

It might work at a club where half drunk people are dancing and nobody cares about the musical value..etc.

Edited by PersianChord, 13 August 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#4 Keano

Keano

***The Devilish King***

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,578 posts
  • Interests:Music,Soccer, Hocky, Gorgeous girls, Sex, Movies, Candle lights, romance, Tennis, Nature, Camping, Playstation and X Box and...

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

:star1: :star1: :star1: :star3: :star3:

Interestingly yesterday my friend played this song for me admiring his voice, for I agree with in regards to his vocal ability, as well as feeling in his tone and singing. Honestly this was the first time I heard him singing and I quite liked his voice, although I wish I could say the same about his few minute sample tracks which as far as its music and arrangement to me sounded a bit monotonous and repetitive, not to mention the lack of direction and consistency in the entire album (Once again going by the album teaser I listened to) also as Pourya pointed out the music sounded a little obsolete and I think to an extent dull. Lyrics though seemed to be nice and meaningful.

I also agree with Sam in regards to the chorus (Hook) of the song. Well let's put it this way, the singer either cares about his/her audience and public, therefore would make sure the music is appealing to the public (Catchy or commercial) therefore it is imperative for those who employ such notion to assure their songs contain a catchy chorus which can be at least melodically memorized by the public, hence a Pop tune.

On the other hand there are artists who could care less about what others and public in general think/demand and their sole objective is to please themselves, for I truly admire those artists, however the odds of such singers/musicians are much slimmer than those who strictly choose to sing/play popular style.

After listening to this guy's tracks I could tell that he sure doesn't mind singing for people's consent and approvals and is a 100% pop singer, therefore I believe his attempt in creating a pop music and top album on par with today's top albums is a somewhat inferior production, but again that's my personal opinion and it does not reflect facts.

Nonetheless he has a nice voice with some nice vocal moves and ornaments!

keano405.png

#5 Omega

Omega

Bia2 Pro

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

:star1: :star1: :star2: :star3: :star3:

IMO this suffers from the syndrome pervading the domestic industry, that being a reasonable production but little in terms of songwriting.

It is not without merit, there are some strong points for sure.  The title track in particular is a highlight, but those highlights are interspersed with mediocrity.

This will serve a purpose as background music, but ultimately it is a forgettable and underwhelming experience.

I remember hearing Jahanbakhsh's promising "Chi Shodeh" some time ago, which had all the right ingredients such as melody, arrangement, progression, so it is a shame to see a regression materialised in this latest release.

Edit: I forgot to note that some of the mixing of the tracks is very bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users