139 replies to this topic

#1 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:14 PM

here you can share with the fozools what you have done earlier today, at the moment or later on in the day ...

I've been sitting here at the univerity since 9AM and workin on my thesis, soon time for lunch ... nom nom nom

“Everything interests me, but nothing holds me.” — Fernando Pessoa

#2 Omega

Omega

Bia2 Pro

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:06 PM

When is your thesis to be submitted pourya jan?

I've just had breakfast and am about to begin my morning workout regiment, I will then have a coffee date with a delightful young lady :brows:

#3 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:25 PM

May 18th Pedram jan. I am writing my BA thesis on picture books which adress both adults and children. Since I am to write and draw such picture books myself, a scientific study is a great foundation and credibility to stand on. I am actually analysing the work of the Aussie Shaun Tan whom I have been a longtime fan of. He has just won the Swedish prize for children's books and I am to see if his picture books are understood by children or not. In particular his last picture book "Tales From Outer Suburbia" which is a 98 page opus with 15 short and dark stories! The book has yet not been published in Swedish so I am translating selected stories and I am to make an own "Icontext" (text/picture interaction) analysis of them on the bais of mimesis and modality (reality/fantasy relation), then read them for some children and see how they react and respond to the dark themes and also if they pick on the transitions between fantasy and reality. I'm loving every minute of this study since it opens the doors to so many new worlds for me, I now understand Alice in Wonderland, the fantasy genre for instance or films such as Pan's Labyrinth through a whole new scientific perpective! This is my element!

oo very nice, I too had the pleasure of a lunch with lovely young lady :D

#4 Omega

Omega

Bia2 Pro

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

Wow, that does sound truly rewarding pourya jan, particularly as it is an area you plan to explore yourself, such an academic background will surely stand you in good stead when creating your own works. Would you also like to venture into such books in the iranian market, how do these childrens books translate through culture? Are children's perceptions deeply affected by cultural changes or do you think they are quite universal?

Hehe i hope your lunch goes well pourya jan, there's nothing like a good female rendezvous to break up the intensity of study!

#5 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:54 PM

Oh the cultural factor in the translations are a whole ground for studies themselves. I have previously written a paper on how the whole structure of modern Western picture books differ from the Persian picture books. The fact is that ever since the revolution the quantity of the picture book production is Iran has not decreased, instead increased! Because it was used as a propaganda media. But overall the Iranian picture books have through times been more about morality, with a clear moral cookie fed to the child at the end of each story. While modern western picture books challenge the conventions, morality included. They invite the child to draw own conclusions based on own experiences and understandings. Fantasy is also a big element in them, they intend to stimulate by leaving out details! but Iranian picture books are overly detailed and clear and leave nothing for imagination. Every character and creature is depicted! While if you see "Where the Wild Things Are" the mother is never shown in the book! Naturally children from Iran will have a tougher time accessing the core of the western books. But in Tan's case its completely ambivalent, you have seen his "The arrival". Now that has no words but the images alone are challenge for the adult, now imagine a complex socio-critical story written to them! In all honesty, I had difficulty to understand some of them despite being an adult and someone who actually reviews and is used to meta-and intertexting!

Yes they break up the intensity, but build it up again in their own way! hehe ;)

#6 Siamak

Siamak

Αστροναύτη`

• Members:
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,101 posts
  • Interests:UFOs,Ducati,Real Madrid,Taj Tehran,Shemiran,Antique Auctions,Politic,Stars

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:13 AM

P jan bahas shirini bedi hala keh tez midi ... khamei basheh lotfan !

crxy.jpg

#7 Omega

Omega

Bia2 Pro

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:06 AM

Oh the cultural factor in the translations are a whole ground for studies themselves. I have previously written a paper on how the whole structure of modern Western picture books differ from the Persian picture books. The fact is that ever since the revolution the quantity of the picture book production is Iran has not decreased, instead increased! Because it was used as a propaganda media. But overall the Iranian picture books have through times been more about morality, with a clear moral cookie fed to the child at the end of each story. While modern western picture books challenge the conventions, morality included. They invite the child to draw own conclusions based on own experiences and understandings. Fantasy is also a big element in them, they intend to stimulate by leaving out details! but Iranian picture books are overly detailed and clear and leave nothing for imagination. Every character and creature is depicted! While if you see "Where the Wild Things Are" the mother is never shown in the book! Naturally children from Iran will have a tougher time accessing the core of the western books. But in Tan's case its completely ambivalent, you have seen his "The arrival". Now that has no words but the images alone are challenge for the adult, now imagine a complex socio-critical story written to them! In all honesty, I had difficulty to understand some of them despite being an adult and someone who actually reviews and is used to meta-and intertexting!

Yes they break up the intensity, but build it up again in their own way! hehe ;)

Interesting pourya jan, I wonder to what extent such cultural differences in children's media impacts on their expectations of media when they grow older...Must have implications on the direction of art culturally i imagine..

It must be truly fascinating to see how the children interpret things compared to adults! It wouldn't surprise me if children actually are more instinctive and creative with their freedom of imagination.

Do your studies also entail child psychology then too?

#8 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:38 AM

I think that such cultural differences have a huge impact, you can actually test it buy looking at the older generation westerners who are used to stories with a clear conclusion and a moral. The teachers I work with, older ones, only pick classic tales for kids reading. They are against darker books which hold elements that might reach their subconsciousness! For instance abuse! For them books are about escaping reality, and not recalling it! While the new ideas advocate the books as the medium through which children can deal with their demons in a safer way! The old gen they do not understand or appreciate the new books, movies and series that come and leave much of the cognitive and imaginative work to you. Those are the ones that got tired of early LOST seasons, while we who likes that exact challenge and stimulation to "fill between the dots" went on obsessing and seeking for more clues. Not answers! So I think that today's children will be expecting more challenging media in future, not just to be fed information. They will be more critical!

You know the expression childlike sense of wonder! well in things they see things I can never even imagine! one of the main reasons why I decided to take the degree was to fully comprehend their visions and worlds, imagine "where the wild things are"! you get to step in a child's imagination, that is the privilege a humble teacher gets when working with kids. They help you to rediscover that Peter Pan in you!

Yes I have studied psychology, which is in current reigning discourse called "childhood psychology" and not child psychology. Emphasising the greater context of childhood and socio-cultural impact on the individual developments. I personally work as a special resource pedagogue, they call me whenever there are special needs in a class. Might include one or several children. Might be social skills that need work or didactic strategies. It is tough but also a very rewarding work, since you get to see the direct impact of your efforts in the developments. And the best part is that kids are socially unbound, they have a much more open mind than an adult and meet you on a mutual level of respect without prejudices. For that kind of maturity I really respect them and actually learn from them!

#9 Keano

Keano

***The Devilish King***

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,576 posts
  • Interests:Music,Soccer, Hocky, Gorgeous girls, Sex, Movies, Candle lights, romance, Tennis, Nature, Camping, Playstation and X Box and...

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:26 PM

I just got back from gym, bare naked getting ready to hit the shower. Dodo will come ke Kiseh bekeshe poshtamo! :D

keano405.png

#10 *dodo*

*dodo*

Bia2 Veteran

• Members:
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

I just got back from gym, bare naked getting ready to hit the shower. Dodo will come ke Kiseh bekeshe poshtamo! :D

Haminam kam moondeh bood ke poshteh toro kiseh bekesham... Ask siamak lol

#11 Keano

Keano

***The Devilish King***

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,576 posts
  • Interests:Music,Soccer, Hocky, Gorgeous girls, Sex, Movies, Candle lights, romance, Tennis, Nature, Camping, Playstation and X Box and...

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:29 PM

Siamak is not trustable!

keano405.png

#12 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

Siamak is not trustable!

:))) :))) :)))

#13 *dodo*

*dodo*

Bia2 Veteran

• Members:
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

Siamak is not trustable!

You never know till you give it a go. He will kiseh and polish.lol

#14 Keano

Keano

***The Devilish King***

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,576 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:34 PM

Yeah, but I am afraid he will polish the wrong spot! :;):

keano405.png

#15 *dodo*

*dodo*

Bia2 Veteran

• Members:
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:45 PM

Yeah, but I am afraid he will polish the wrong spot! :;):

Hahah u might like it

#16 Keano

Keano

***The Devilish King***

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,576 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:51 PM

My wishlist is unfortunately full already!

keano405.png

#17 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:50 PM

Back at the university, on my secret, hidden place on the 4th floor! Hehe, Kicking off another day of writing, a big cup of earl grey on the desk, beautiful day outside. Love it!

#18 Siamak

Siamak

Αστροναύτη`

• Members:
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,101 posts
  • Interests:UFOs,Ducati,Real Madrid,Taj Tehran,Shemiran,Antique Auctions,Politic,Stars

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:47 PM

Posted Image

crxy.jpg

#19 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:00 AM

hahaha, oon yaro sibil chakhmaghie manam! to nobatam!lol :haha:

#20 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:29 AM

Had a great morning session at the gym today, now time for a well-deserved brunch in the sun :flirt:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users