Photo

What does it take to get a recording deal?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 farnaz

farnaz

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:08 AM

hehe :dance_baby_wft: keano jan, let us hope that your 2 cents does not accumulate to 2 dollars when including the interest. :silly_wft: this for u to speed up the process! :gentleman_in_wft[1]: hehe :haha:

#22 irannostalgia

irannostalgia

Bia2 Trainee

• Members:
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:17 AM

Hello...

Raad was a rich guy in Germany who made money through clothes
designes and clothing stores. HE COULDNT sing to save his life.
Thats why no matter how much he would spend it wasnt going to work.

As far as I know, you will have to pay for everything including
videos and you will get NOTHING back.

Most iranian artists make money from Aroosi and concerts,
however, if you are a new artist I doubt that you will get offers
for concerts or aroosi´s. I mean, even big name artists like
Nooshafarin, go on Tapesh TV begging Amirghasemi to
put on concerts for them!

As for videos, you can make it cheaper, however, unfortunatelly
most TVs mainly play KOJI clips because they simply play
the DVD/VCR that he sends them containing a bunch of clips.
Its just easier for the programmer to drop a tape and hit play,
instead of changing the tape for evey clip.

On the good side, there are new artists that have made it,
for example, Shahriar has already arrived to his second album
and he is opening a concert for Mahasti. I know he spent
money to get started.... I dont know if he is still sponsoring
himself or he is getting something back??

I write music, by the way....
Some of these "famous" songwriters, care so little about the
new artist that they sell them old songs!! or songs copied
from old artists!

#23 Guest_triple555_*

Guest_triple555_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:28 AM

On the good side, there are new artists that have made it,
for example, Shahriar has already arrived to his second album
and he is opening a concert for Mahasti. I know he spent
money to get started.... I dont know if he is still sponsoring
himself or he is getting something back??

plus shahryar is an Architectectural Designer!! and has his own business!! lol well i guess he works at the business when hes not working with his music but still!! i would think he sponsors himself! i have no idea though!

#24 irannostalgia

irannostalgia

Bia2 Trainee

• Members:
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:55 PM

plus shahryar is an Architectectural Designer!! and has his own business!! lol well i guess he works at the business when hes not working with his music but still!! i would think he sponsors himself! i have no idea though!

Great, well that explains it!!!
Hey, having your own business and being successful at it, is an art in itself.

I wish I knew how to do that!!

Also as for Avang, I had also heard stories that they don´t pay back...
I think it was with Pouya..... they were supposed to pay him for
copies sold, but then they never did.

Oh , plus in iranian music the word CONTRACT is really unexistant...

#25 Keano

Keano

***The Devilish King***

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,578 posts
  • Interests:Music,Soccer, Hocky, Gorgeous girls, Sex, Movies, Candle lights, romance, Tennis, Nature, Camping, Playstation and X Box and...

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:43 PM

My 2 cents is bent! :haha:

so gotta flatten it! :haha:

keano405.png

#26 Keano

Keano

***The Devilish King***

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,578 posts
  • Interests:Music,Soccer, Hocky, Gorgeous girls, Sex, Movies, Candle lights, romance, Tennis, Nature, Camping, Playstation and X Box and...

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:38 AM

You're trying 2 put together an album and have it released to the iranian market?

In that case:

- If you're past mid. 30's or look older than mid. 30's you're automatically at the verge of rejection by the public (Mainly the teens) and an unfortunate failure!
Why?
Cuz whether or not you like it, looks plays a huge role in nowadays' music industry both in international and iranian levels. You do not possess the looks your young audience is searching in a new singer, you're definitely losing about 30-40% of your chances of getting signed or if signed, making it to the top!!! (Believe it or not, most record companies take your looks into consideration b4 making any risky moves).

- If you're liked by the teens, you've automatically guaranteed your next album's success, hence the record companies will invest in you, only if they find you a teen magnet, yet will make sure you're bound for at least 3 albums, if you don't have what it takes, they not only won't bother investing in you, but also most probably charge you for the promotions and distribution of your record!

- Companies such as Avang, what they do with some of these new artists is the "so-called" Royalty which in our poor industry is at best "Bizarre" and at worst "Non sense" as there's no acurate system to confirm/prove the real number of sales, so it cancels itself in a ridiculous way!

- You have to understand that with this savage wave of internet downloaders (I personally call these buch "Pirates") has consequently weakened and nearly killed most of the record lebels, particularely the Iranian music industry, something that most fail to understand, we the Iranians abroad are already a minority, and our pop music (LA music) is unfortunately exiled/banned within our Motherland Iran, accordingly that puts us and our music the most miserable music market all across the world, I mean nowadays nowhere in theis world you can find a country where a certain kind of music is unlawful and against the standards of its government!! anyhow this ultimately has led most of the Iranian record companies outside of Iran to go down the drain, actually there are talks of Caltex Records soon to be shut down!!!

- Productions:

- Well, if you're looking for nice/low cost lyrics, you may find soOoOoO many new talents in iran who are hungry to work with anybody outside of Iran, their costs are within $100-$500 US. there are some arrangers as well, depending on your taste and style you may find some of them quite interesting and lovely, Fereydoon's latest album is a clear example, however Behrooz Safarian is an extremely talented musician and his price isn't any cheaper than those of from LA!!! though he has been pretty selective as far as chosing whom to work with! (There are talks of him moving to LA and work with... as well).

- If you're to sound like anybody else already in the market, then my advice to you would be:
Just forget it, and don't waste your money/time!!!!

Cuz all those whom you wanna copy, are already doing a great job, and have their fan base!

That was my great 2 cents...

BTW,
Farnaz!!!

Your name sounds very tempting, too bad you're a guy! :haha: :haha: :haha:

keano405.png

#27 Guest_triple555_*

Guest_triple555_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:45 AM

very interesting!! :clap2:

#28 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:50 AM

soon we'll have representants from all record companies posting 2 cents in here!lol

“Everything interests me, but nothing holds me.” — Fernando Pessoa

#29 Guest_triple555_*

Guest_triple555_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:52 AM

hehe that'll be the day! :haha:

#30 Keano

Keano

***The Devilish King***

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,578 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:54 AM

Isn't it interesting how so many rookies are posting only in this thread? :DD :DD :DD :DD

Bring it on!!! :dance_baby_wft: :dance_baby_wft: :dance_baby_wft:

keano405.png

#31 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:58 AM

Isn't it interesting how so many rookies are posting only in this thread? :DD :DD :DD :DD

Bring it on!!! :dance_baby_wft: :dance_baby_wft: :dance_baby_wft:

hehe! :D

“Everything interests me, but nothing holds me.” — Fernando Pessoa

#32 Guest_triple555_*

Guest_triple555_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:03 AM

so whats so amusing? lol i don't see it! :haha:

#33 Keano

Keano

***The Devilish King***

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,578 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:04 AM

so whats so amusing? lol i don't see it! :haha:

Cuz you're too busy singing! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

keano405.png

#34 Guest_triple555_*

Guest_triple555_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:06 AM

nope actually im 222 busy dancing!!! :dance_baby_wft: :yeah: :dance:

#35 Keano

Keano

***The Devilish King***

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,578 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:16 AM

Oh!
Maybe u should then change to triple222! :haha: :haha: :haha:

keano405.png

#36 Guest_triple555_*

Guest_triple555_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:20 AM

lol or may b i should change into triple panj! :dance_baby_wft:

#37 Keano

Keano

***The Devilish King***

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,578 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:23 AM

Yeah you should! lol :DD :DD :DD

keano405.png

#38 Aslan

Aslan

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 04:18 AM

Thanks to those who replied.

As for updates, I talked to KaHoo's manager; apparently Siam is not directly managing KaHoo anymore and he has an associate in charge of everything that has to do with KaHoo promotion and their concerts; it was a coincidence that I knew this person so I went backstage and we talked over dinner. First of all he said that contrary to what it seems, Siam isn't making money from KaHoo and it basically covers his costs only (Raast ya dorooghesh baa khodesh) So Siam is not investing on anyone else these days. He said Siam has received many requests from people who are looking for a sponsor; however, he has not accepted any of them since he thinks all the work of KaHoo is enough for him especially that there is no money in it (yet). However, I heard Siam has taken over Sepideh’s career recently, so I think he should make some money! Anyways, my friends asked me to send him a demo tape and he will bring it up with Siam to see how it goes.

Ramin Zamani has heard some of my demos and we have met, he thinks I have good potential; however, he says my voice is still “KHAAM” & “NAPOKHTEH” and I have to work on that. Actually, Farid Zoland had a similar feedback, after few vocal tests, he figured that I have almost four octave range; however, as he put it, my voice is “VAHSHI” and I have to work on that! For the past 3 month I've been working with a French vocals instructor and I will continue to do so. Ramin Zamani suggested that singing in a bar/restaurant will help me get some experience and it will also make my voice “POKHTEH”; however, Farid Zoland believes that I should never ever start singing in restaurants (singing others' song), and I should only achieve that “POKHTEGI” by practising and going to vocals classes.

As for production, I have decided to get the lyrics from talents inside Iran, since they are much cheaper and I think some of them are more in touch with the young generation than PISHKESVAT HAA. I am specifically looking for Yaghma Golrooyee since I like his work and I can somehow relate to them. Actually I've used two of his works for my demos; however, I still haven't been able to get in touch with him to get permission and perhaps buy the right to use his lyrics. I've tried 3 different email addresses attributed to him with no success. I would appreciate if any of you that has his contact info share it with me.

As for composition and arrangement, it can't be Mr. Zoland anymore if I choose Yaghma’s lyrics since Zoland works with Jannati Ataee, Sarfaraz, & Ghanbari only. I've already talked to Ramin Zamani; however, I am going to talk to Schubert Avakian, Siavash Shams, and Siavash Ghomeishi as well.

I will keep you guys updated...

BTW Keano, I am 28 but I look like 23-24. Does that qualify to get a deal? loool

Posted Image

#39 x)SaRa(x

x)SaRa(x

سارا

• Members:
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,354 posts
  • Interests:meh.

Posted 08 November 2005 - 04:32 AM

wow...this thread is interesting.....

i was gona send a couple of mysongs to record companies but i neva got round to it...

#40 ramon

ramon

**PrInCeSs RaMRaM**

• Members:
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:45 AM

Aslan,

I know Yaghma Golrooyee cousin, I will ask my cousin to get his email address if he can :gentleman_in_wft[1]:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users