Photo

What does it take to get a recording deal?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Aslan

Aslan

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 03:43 PM

Hey everyone;

I was wondering whether you know what it takes to get a recording deal from one of the recording companies based in Los Angeles. Do you know the process?

It seems that a new singer has to make the album first and pay for the whole process (Lyrics, Music, Arrangement, Production, Studio time, etc…), and then sell the complete album to a company such as Avang, Caltex and Taraaneh… This means that I have to invest a good chunk of money first and they cross my fingers for the best, because sometimes they buy it below production cost! Is there any way that they support/sponsor an artist based on a demo and perhaps offer him/her a contract? I've heard it's easier to get a deal from Pars Video and Chehreh Namaa comparing to the rest of them.

I would appreciate it if you share your take and information on this.
Cheers,

Posted Image

#2 Planet-Persia

Planet-Persia

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:29 PM

kind of funny, ive asked behbood the same question yesterday and lets say it so it ended in a very long discussion but to say it in one word

MONEY

you need at least 100.000 dollars and be sure nobody will support you, it takes mostly 1-2 albums till you really can earn money from persian music only in the case the people want your music.

some prices

maryam heydarzadeh lyrics > 1000 dollar
shadmehr aghili song > about 5000-7000 dollar
koji clip > about 10000 dollar
groupies > priceless dance_baby_wft.gif

it really aint fair but thats how it is

#3 Aslan

Aslan

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for your reply; that’s what thought as well. Actually I've negotiated with Farid Zoland and after few discussions and hearing my vocal demos he has agreed to work with me. He mostly gets lyrics from Ardalan Sarfaraz, Iraj Jannati Ataee, & Shahyar Ghanbari; their lyrics cost around $2000-$2500 and for 8 tracks that sums up to around $18,000 just for the lyrics! Basically the team that I've negotiated with is the team behind Dariush’s “Raahe Man”; same poets, same composer, and the same studio and arranger. Right now that team is working with a Dariush for his next album, as well as a new singer called Rastin (www.rastinmusic.com) and his album will be out later this year. I've also talked to Ramin Zamani; however, he does not work with the above poets and he mostly works with Maryam Heydarzadeh these days.

I was wondering other than the companies, if there are individuals who sponsor a singer in exchange for a longer period contract that could benefit them. For example, as far as I know, Saeed Siam basically has paid for all the expenses of KaHoo’s album (20); however, he gets a good share of the concerts’ profit for specific period of time. I think Manouchehr Khosh Zaban (Nava Media) has done the same with Shadmehr Aghili, Shahram Solati, and Shohreh. Do you know whether these are true or not? I will get in touch with them; however, I want to have a general idea of how it works before I talk to them.

QUOTE(Planet-Persia @ Oct 16 2005, 05:29 PM) View Post

kind of funny, ive asked behbood the same question yesterday and lets say it so it ended in a very long discussion but to say it in one word

MONEY

you need at least 100.000 dollars and be sure nt 10000 dollar
groupies > priceless :dance_baby_wft:

[/quote]7;728123bff4a14e89e3cd2d4ea71d2022LŠ¢ Š¸s > priceless dance_baby_wft.gif

Posted Image

#4 Planet-Persia

Planet-Persia

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:08 PM

you wanna get in touch with nava media or what do you mean with "them" ?

so far that i know behbood is going to meet shadmehr and another nava media artist 28th oct in the "office" in holland wherever that might be, they want to promote their albums togheter to get better prices on the tv stations or whatever. I can imagine there also some responsibles from nava.

But i think the main office is in toronto/kanada

it might be true but artist like shohreh or shadmehr are allready "in the game" it should be much more difficult for you to get the same benefits as they.

#5 Aslan

Aslan

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:28 PM

Well, I live in Vancouver, Canada and I will go to Toronto within a month or so; I can talk to Nava Media then. As far as Saeed Siam, KaHoo are coming to Vancouver in 2 weeks for a concert and I know them personally since they used to live here. I asked the concert promoter and their manager will be with them as well, so I have a chance to talk to him as well. By "them" I meant Nava Media & Saeed Siam!!!

As for already being in the game, I totally agree with you. I also think it's much harder to convince someone to support you when they have no idea how you will be received by the public and you have a blank resume. However, "SANG MOFT, GONJESHKT MOFT" I will give it a try. I have lots of friends in LA, I know many singers and musicians and I've got few connections; however, as you said, when it comes to money, no one will help you unless they are assured there something in it for them.

Posted Image

#6 Angel

Angel

~ANGIE~

• Members:
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:23 PM

[size=3]Hey everyone;

I was wondering whether you know what it takes to get a recording deal from one of the recording companies based in Los Angeles. Do you know the process?

size]

Good voice
Good looks
Money

On second thought, none of that is necessary in the persian music industry, all you need is to know the right people! :))) :)))
The angelic Angel of Bia2.

Angels make the world a much brighter place. Children are the live angels of earth.
Posted Image Posted Image

#7 hamed

hamed

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:58 PM

I would think that for someone starting out their first album would be mostly composed and written by themselves. At least, that's how it's been for most of the singers who have stayed around for longer than 3 or 4 albums.

#8 Keano

Keano

***The Devilish King***

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,576 posts
  • Interests:Music,Soccer, Hocky, Gorgeous girls, Sex, Movies, Candle lights, romance, Tennis, Nature, Camping, Playstation and X Box and...

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:34 AM

I will soon drop in my 2 cents on this issue!!!

However if you spent anything close to $100,000 US, you're a total dummy!
Unless you're 110% sure of your capability and success (Which still won't guarantee your music's recognition anyway).

keano405.png

#9 Aslan

Aslan

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:10 AM

I'll look forward to read your take on this Keano…

Here is an update: I talked to Manouchehr Khoshzaban (Nava Media) yesterday; he seemed very nice and helpful. He started by saying that I should rethink about working with the team of Zoland, Jannati Ataee, Sarfaraz, & Ghanbari… Although he paid a lot of respect to them for their hard work, art, and vision through all these years (Ta'aarof Irooni); however, he said 1) Their fees are too high and it's not worth paying that much money since the return is too risky 2) Their era is over! He then brought up RAAD as an example who has spent a lot of money to work with Sarfaraz, Jennati Ataaee, & Ando; however, as he said "although his voice is better than many singers; however, his album was not that good and it didn't do well in sales either". He also mentioned Googoosh's album, which as he put it: “Esm o she'r Shahyar Ghanbari natoonest albumesh roh nejaat bedeh".

He mentioned that for the first and second album I should pay for the whole process myself. Basically he said if I work with LA based people, I should drop anywhere from $50,000 - $100,000; however, if I workd with his company (Nava Media) the costs are much less since he works with poets/composers in Iran most of the times. He said With $35,000 - $40,000 (Canadian Dollars), I would get 8 tracks plus 2 music videos and I'll be satisfied with the work as well!

I asked about other labels, he said Avang doesn't have any money to pay, and he agreed that my best chance is with Pars Video since they do work with newcomers; however, even in that case I have to pay for most of the costs. Also he did not rule out the man behind Kamran & Hooman, Saeed Siam, to invest on these sorts of things. He said companies buy the album almost at the same price that I've spent and, if I'm lucky, I may be able to make few bucks out of it, which considering the time and effort I put on creating the album, that few Dollars is nothing! I knew that part before talking to him; as we all know, there is no money in the album and, if a singer makes money, it's from the concerts and not the albums.

Posted Image

#10 Keano

Keano

***The Devilish King***

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,576 posts
  • Interests:Music,Soccer, Hocky, Gorgeous girls, Sex, Movies, Candle lights, romance, Tennis, Nature, Camping, Playstation and X Box and...

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:15 AM

No Artist (Iranian) pockets from the album budget!

You spend all you get from the record Companies, unless you're cheap and care less about quality!

keano405.png

#11 Siamak

Siamak

Αστροναύτη`

• Members:
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,101 posts
  • Interests:UFOs,Ducati,Real Madrid,Taj Tehran,Shemiran,Antique Auctions,Politic,Stars

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:34 AM

Hmm,shomaha in hameh info dar moredeh in chizaro az KOJA darin !! ??

crxy.jpg

#12 Dj Rez

Dj Rez

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:07 PM

Hi Aslan,

This is Reza from Orange County, I am sorry for writing this here and maybe I shouldn't but after reading what you had written about your conversation with Nava I couldn't help to write back. First of all I think the worse move you can take is to go to Nava Media considering that in the past 2 months they lost two of their upcoming artist due to lack of money. The reason for him saying Avang doesn't have money or doesn't pay the new artist is because the two artist that I rather not mention their names are going to Avang instead of Nave Media and he's really upset about this. From what I know and I know this because I worked with some of Armin's Frined's (Avang Music) they are the only company that will actually invest on new talents, however I know they are very picky about who they pick since they believe in Quality. If you notice in the last 5 years all the best artist have been released on Avang, also, if you notice all the cheap albums are released on Pars Video and Chehreh Nama so that's probably why they're easier. About Siam, if he decides to do anything with you or even invest, at the end it'll go to Avang since Armin and Siam are in the same team. Kahoo's album was originally invested by Siam however Avang had a major part in it as well. All the videos (except 20) were produced by Avang. I am also good friends with Saman (singer) and I know for a fact Nava Media didn't pay him anything for his album that was released two years ago. So to make this short please don't just talk to one person, if you want I can call Armin or just put you in contact with them.

I am sorry for writing all this but this Nave Media guy is a really shady and for him to come and say non-sense about other companies, it's just not right. Hope this helps you.

#13 mahnand

mahnand

kharbozeh

• Members:
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,320 posts
  • Interests:Music, Soccer, Snowboarding, Traveling, Girls, Food, Movies!, Sleep

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:48 PM

Now to get a deal, I think you just need to talk about shaking your booty in the club while drinking bub...and just come up with a catchy phase or two....Then for sure you'll get a deal!!! at least that's what everyone on MTV does, right?!?!?!
Posted Image

#14 Aslan

Aslan

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:16 PM

Reza Jan Salam;

Thanks for the reply and your honest feedback on this. I sent you a private message few minutes ago so that we can talk about this in detail and perhaps you introduce me to Armin. Please reply back with your contact info so that I can get in touch with you.

Cheers,
-- Aslan

Posted Image

#15 wmrcrds

wmrcrds

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:34 AM

Aslan Jan,

I just wanted to reply to your topic. First, you should really search your heart before spending any type of money and make sure that it is something you are dedicated to. There is alot of pressure and bull in the persian music industry and you can't really believe what anyone says, you have to trust your gut on who is honest. I work with Siavash (Shams) http://www.siavash.com and since he bought his recording studio 3 years ago he has been producing some new albums, for new persian singers and he also recently finished producing an entire spanish album for a well known spanish singer. For persian songs he writes the lyrics and music, has them arranged with live muscicians and records in his studio for about $5,000 a song, he will also, help you to make sure your voice is recorded great and you shine for whatever style you have. He writes amazing persian songs. I cannot gurantee the price but I think that is about right, he is not into charging ridiculous prices for people who want to put their heart and music on the line. I have been in the industry for 20 years, I don't know who Nava is but I don't care how many Albums Avang has released and what racket they have going, Armin has not been honest, they have been selling Siavash's album Scream, (with boro dige doset nadaram) for the last four years and Siavash's contract was out with them for over 4 years, they were sold out of his album he refused to sign a new contract with them and now for 4 years every store says they got it from Avang, how did they get a CD if it was sold out and they were asking Siavash for it, copies anyone? Shady, Shady, and I wouldn't trust Farid to accomplish anything. I think instead of doing a whole album, you should consider doing maybe 2 or 3 songs and then bring it to ALL of the companys, if you are really talented and the songs are great, they should be willing to put money behind you and finish the album, as well as, pay for the videos themselves. If you invest all of the money for all of the album it is a risk and unless you have money to burn, you should be very careful. Most of these companies and writers don't care about the art, they just want to take your money, tv's are the same, everyone makes money except the singer.

For the record, singers from Siavash's generation did invest up to $100,000 in their first album, but the persian industry is so polluted that now it really isn't worth it to spend your hard earned money when they are going to take your money and then the tv's are a monopoly, they will pimp you only if you join their team and that means you do concerts for nothing, everybody charges the singer, the magazines, the tv's, the radios, Koji?, you can't get anything done without them charging you ridiculous prices and it will be impossible to make a living without being a wedding singer and even then, you won't make has much money or live in the kind of houses that people do like Al Amirghassemii, from Tapesh or Caltex or Pars video who has been selling Siavash videos for 10 years and not giving him a penny. And then, when your album comes out, it will be online and copied by the fans who say they love you and expect the best job from you, but they will copy it in 2 seconds and you won't see any money, especially if your a new singer, and if your record company sells it, they won't tell you the truth if it is selling good. Iif you love persian music, the best thing to do is invest the $50,000 in a business of your own and then when your business is making good money, take it and invest it in persian music because you love it, not for any of the vultures to make money off of you, but because you just want to do something positive and you love persian music or singing.

Regardless of the craziness, if your heart is in it, you should follow your heart and I wish you lot's of success. If you want to talk to Siavash you can call him at his studio, he puts his heart and talent into whatever he does, Valley Center Studios 818-989-0866, http://www.valleycenterstudios.com. Another song writer who is a great song writer is Jacklin, she has written many great songs for singers, she isn't fake and she will write to your personality, her prices where fair, I don't know if they still are. I don't have her number but I am sure someone could get it for you. All the companies are the same, they are all shady, so you should have something in your hand and approach every company and see which one gives you the best deal. Koji is WAY, WAY to expensive, he hasn't grown as an artist and he is a pain to deal with unless the company pays for it themselves. If you are paying for it, you can try blackhild films, 2 japanese guys, who did Siavash's last video Taje Tala and they did it on film for $4,000, there website is blackchildfilms.com.

Again, wish you the best :bye:

#16 Khoshtippe Bia2

Khoshtippe Bia2

TO khoubi!!

• Members:
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Interests:Filmaye Irani... Behrooz, Fardin, Samad Agha.. <br />Badesham yeki diggeham kheili interest daram behesh.. haaaaa... u never know.. it might be u! chon un khodesham khabar nadare. :)

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:04 AM

Agha man aslan vared nistam.. to in donyae music,, faghat baladam goosh bedam.. valli rastesho bekhai man khodam chand vakhte pish az yeki az ashnaha keh mikhast CD bede biroon hamin masalaro shenidam.. keh nazdike 100.000 dollar kharje in CD bayad beshe... albate migoft bastegi be khode adam dare keh cheghadar doost dari CD jedi bashe vakhti mikhai be bazar bedish.. begholie maroof harchi pool bedi ash mikhori...

Valli man khodam to in fekr boodam.. baba to iran bekhoda honarmand ma kheili darim.. ham nevisande, ham ahang saz, tanzim konande.. chera inayi keh doost daran CD bedan Inemiran Iran.. ba kamtar gheimat CD bezanan.. badesh biaran bedan be in Music Company haye mokhtalef.. va ina aggar khosheshoon biad khoub ino release mikonan!!??

To Iran man porsidam.. emsal keh boodam.. ye CD vaghan Toop bekhai bezani taghriban beine 13-20.00000 toamn dar miad.. 20.00000 toam koja 100.000 dollar koja..

Fekr konam aggaram adam bad shansi biare va karesh nagire, keh ishallah migire.. 20.00000 toman ro mishe jobran kard.. valli 100.000 dollar hamoontori nemishe 2 rooze dar biari

Posted Image

#17 Siamak

Siamak

Αστροναύτη`

• Members:
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,101 posts
  • Interests:UFOs,Ducati,Real Madrid,Taj Tehran,Shemiran,Antique Auctions,Politic,Stars

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:23 AM

Ummm,ina mashkuk mizanan !!!

crxy.jpg

#18 farnaz

farnaz

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 11:24 AM

Salam bar aghaye aslan,

Just to avoid confusion... I am a male :DD In regards to the issue of getting a record deals, here is my $0.02: don't go for making an album in persian market unless you got your own songs and lyrics in which you truly believe to make hits, or you got over $50K EXTRA money, or you got some big Azz sponser, or you know some new but very talented lyricists/arrengers who don't charge much but make you good quality of songs. The quality of songs/lyrics that big names like shadmehr, shahram azar or schubert avakian, etc. produce is strongly correlated with amount of cash that you throw on their table. They got enough customers with large financial support to care less about the satisfaction of a new comer like you with low cash.

So, have you got a chance to talk to the sponser of KaHoo? Also, we are yet to see Mr. Keano's input on this issue :)

Ghorboone hameye doostan,
farnaz

Edited by farnaz, 06 November 2005 - 11:31 AM.

#19 Keano

Keano

***The Devilish King***

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,576 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 05:04 PM

LOL, It's interesting how a good number of posters in this thread are 1-7 posters only!!! :haha:

I guess everyone wants to beCUM a singer, heh??? :dance_baby_wft: :dance_baby_wft:

It's all good my children, it's all good! :harhar_wft[1]:

Well, my great 2 cents :haha: is on its way!

So hang in there! :DD

keano405.png

#20 Guest_triple555_*

Guest_triple555_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2005 - 12:00 AM

i don't want to become a singer but a dance choreographer for iranian music videos :dance_baby_wft: :haha:

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users