#1 SeekandDestroy

SeekandDestroy

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:21 AM

Persian contributions to humanity

From the humble brick, to the windmill, Persians have mixed creativity with art. Here are some of the cultural contributions of Iran:
An ancient ice house, called a yakhchal, built in Kerman, Iran, for storing ice during summers.
Enlarge
An ancient ice house, called a yakhchal, built in Kerman, Iran, for storing ice during summers.

* Belly Dancing
* The Sword
* Original excavation of a Suez Canal [1] [2]
* (1400 BC to 600 BC) - Zoroastrianism, a religion which had an important impact on Judaism, and thus indirectly, on Christianity and Islam. Some experts however, claim that Zoroaster was actually born in 6184BC, and was himself a follower of the religion called Mehr introduced by Mehabad who lived 3593 years before Zoroaster i.e. 9700 BC or 11705 years ago (retroactive 2005). [3] [4] It should be noted that Zoroaster himself was not an ethnic Persian, but (possibly) an ethnic Bactrian who were closely related to Persians.
* (1400 BC) - Backgammon appears in the east of Iran.
* Designing Baghdad: The original city was based on Persian precedents such as Firouzabad in Persia. The two designers who were hired by the caliph al-Mansur to plan the city were Nowbakht, a former Persian Zoroastrian, and Mashallah, a former Jew from Khorasan, Iran. (p 10)
* The ziggurat. The Sialk ziggurat predates that of Ur or any other of Mesopotamia's 34 ziggurats.
* The brick. The oldest brick found to date are Persian, from ca. (6000 BC).
* The courrier post. [5] [6]
* The windmill. [7] [8]
* Earliest known domestication of the goat. [9]
o Source for introduction of the domesticated chicken into Europe.
o First cultivation of spinach
* Introduction of paper to the west [10]
* Ice Cream (400 BC) [11] [12]
* (521 BC) - The game Polo.[13]
* Wine. Earliest known cultivation of the grape, and fermentation of wine 5400 BC [14]
* (576 BC to 529 BC) - Under the rule of Cyrus II the Great, the Cyrus Cylinder was issued. It was discovered in 1879 in Babylon and today is kept in the British Museum. [15] [16]
* (576 BC to 529 BC) - Under the rule of Cyrus II the Great, Cyrus frees the Jews from Babylonian captivity. See Cyrus in the Judeo-Christian tradition.
* Queen Esther, Daniel, and Mordechai are all buried in Iran.
* (250 BC) - According to archelogical digs, the Parthians created the world's first batteries. Their original use is still uncertain, though it is suspected that they were used for electroplating. [17]
* Algebra and Trigonometry: Numerous Iranians were directly responsible for the establishment of Algebra, the advancement of Medicine and Chemistry, and the discovery of Trigonometry. [18] [19].
* First systematic use of alcohol in Medicine: Rhazes (864-930)[20]
* Development of the guitar [21] [22]
* (870 - 950) -
* (935 - 1020) - Ferdowsi writes the Shahnama (Book of Kings) that resulted in the revival of Iranian culture and the expansion of the Iranian cultural sphere.
* Tulips were first cultivated in ancient Persia [23] [24]
* Peaches are a fruit of Persian origin, as indicated by their Latin name, persica, from which (by way of the French) we have the English "peach." [25]
* (980 - 1037) - Avicenna, a physician, writes The Canon of Medicine one of the foundational manuals in the history of modern medicine.
* Rumi , America's most read poet, is an Iranian. [According to the CSM, referring to 1997]
* The teaching hospital
* Qanat , subterranean aqueducts.
* Yakhchals , ancient refrigerators. (See picture above)
* Badgirs , ancient air residential conditioning.
* The Cookie

http://en.wikipedia....ons_to_humanity

sorry if it's been posted before
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Igor1960

Igor1960

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 09:19 AM

Persian big contributions to humanity without controversy.
For me it is mathematics, medicine (Avicenna), religion (Zoroastrianism and sufi dansing) and poets (Omar Khayyam). Shaheresades "1000 and 1 night".
Omar Khayyam is well known in Russia and his books are in each books shop and library. I also recently buy his rubai (after my acquaintance with Bia2 :) ). Each educated Russian knows him. For example, his sentence “The better be alone, than with any”: excuse me for bad translate.

Frome above I see that I am not yet know about it questions many. Culture of Persian is a good goal for learning.

#3 Igor1960

Igor1960

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:10 PM

I bless SeekandDestroy for this topic and www page. I am not persian and for me interesting some questions obvious for Iranian.
I want learn Zoroastrianism. Interesting becouse it exist before Judaism. I think it will right to discuss this in Religion.
I want learn relation betwen Zoroastrianism and Islam.
I want learn relation betwen sufi mystic and Islam.
I want know more about Rumi.
I want to see Belly Dancing by forum girl.

#4 parande

parande

HaNilicious

• Members:
  • PipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:41 PM

I do belly dacing baby :happy_wft:

Attached Files

#5 Igor1960

Igor1960

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:46 AM

I do belly dacing baby :happy_wft:

WoW!
:clap2:

#6 Guest_arian_*

Guest_arian_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:41 AM

Wikipedia...reliable source?

#7 Igor1960

Igor1960

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:58 AM

Wikipedia...reliable source?

You are right! But for the beginning it is satisfactory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

input['testKey'] = 123"> input['code'])">