Photo

IRAN or PERSIA?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

Poll: Iran or Persia? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

What name suits our country the best?

1. Yes, I fully support Iran as the official name of our country (5 votes [83.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Yes, I am totally with Persia as the official name of our country (1 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 x)SaRa(x

x)SaRa(x

سارا

• Members:
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,354 posts
  • Interests:meh.

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:02 PM

hi guys...jus wondering wot people think.....coz for me i wud prefer iran to be called PERSIA.....for historical reasons as well as political ones........
so how bout u? :friends:

#2 Guest_arian_*

Guest_arian_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:21 PM

Well Sara-jon, this is an interesting issue!

I prefer Iran but it depends, there are several reasons why Persia is better (one being that people can't differ Between Iran and IraQ) but since only about 50% of Iranians are Persians, while about 70% of Iranians are Iranic (like Persians,Kurds, Baluchis etc ) people.

btw, have u read my What is farsi?

#3 x)SaRa(x

x)SaRa(x

سارا

• Members:
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:13 PM

I prefer Iran but it depends, there are several reasons why Persia is better (one being that people can't differ Between Iran and IraQ) but since only about 50% of Iranians are Persians, while about 70% of Iranians are Iranic (like Persians,Kurds, Baluchis etc ) people.

View Post

i know exactly wot u mean about the Iran IraQ thing......i hate it wen people think im an arab from iraq.....grrrr.....but anyways.....i know that the shah changed the name to iran because he believed it was more multi-ethnic but to be honest...i still very much like persia bcoz of its majesty and history.....i know myself that im not persian as such as my grandparents were originally from azerbaijan....but i feel proud to call myself persian.....
and yes i have read ur what is farsi thingy.....loved it by the way! :friends:
ive also read the stuff in ur signature link....gr8 stuff....i salute u! :friends: :friends:

#4 KittyCat

KittyCat

Bia2 Trainee

• Members:
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:44 PM

I like Persia better... no real reason, it just sounds better than Iran.
There is this country song I think it's by Alan Jackson called "where were you when the world stopped turning". It has a part that goes "I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran" LOL... It cracks me up everytime I listen to it. The first time I heard it I was with a friend, I was all then you're one dumb motherfucker... hahaha we had a good laugh!

Alan Jackson Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 GLTitan7

GLTitan7

Bia2 Semi Pro

• Members:
  • PipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  • Interests:Johnny Walker/Jack Daniels/Jameson <br />Best cure for a cold = Irish Wiskey<br />Vodka = Skool, Svedka, &amp; Absolut<br />I luv that sticky iky

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:41 PM

View Post

Bro u r 100% correct. I say persia wit all americans illiterate to knoe bout the dif, but wit iranians i say iran.
Posted Image

HS to NIU 09'

Nader/1000

#6 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:16 AM

I love and respect PERSIA as a historic heritage that should be Remembered, Respected and vanguarded as glorious as it once was! The last thing we need is for a new regime to come and change the name to Persia and continue to contribute to the dire reputation of Iran, courtesy of the Mullahs! And thereby tarnish even that name!

Unlike what many think ”Iran” is not a new name, just remember the great Ferdowsi’s words: Cho Iran Nabashad Tane Man Mabad...”!

And THIS was written back in the 10th century!

In my personal opinion IRAN represents the multiethnic nature of our ”family” better than Persia (which is today unfortunately abused in a Racist-chauvinistic agenda of some rightwing extremists!)!

I am proudly an IRANIAN! I, just like most Iranians, have no clue whether my ancestors have been pure FARS (Persians) generations back or not, so it would sound very pretentious even in my own ears to proclaim myself as something I am not sure I am! But one thing I am sure of, whether I am Fars, Baluch, Kurd, Azeri … I AM AN IRANIAN!! And I proudly stand for that title, even if some a**holes have dragged down the name in the mud internationally, I feel responsible and obliged to represent and defend it with my OWN deeds and presence! I want that whoever thinks Iran is the same as Iraq, or that all Iranians stand for is cultural backwardness and rigidity, reconsider and change his opinion after having met ME and been informed!

At least this much I can do for my motherland!

In the end it is not the name that matters, but how juste and democratic the government reigning under that name administrates the country!

“Everything interests me, but nothing holds me.” — Fernando Pessoa

#7 BoxCutter

BoxCutter

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:58 AM

To be quite honest i would rather proudly be an Iranian and be considered a terrorist by ignorant rednecks than be a coward and label myself "Persian" and die my hair blond like many of these "Persians" have done to avoid persecution or racism among many other things. iranians in the west have tarnished the title "Persian" more than IRI can ever do to "Iranian". When i talk of Persia i talk about history and our (potential) ancestors, Its no beauty or originality contest, Iran is just fine fer me :dance:

#8 Guest_sara.xx_*

Guest_sara.xx_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:26 AM

To be quite honest i would rather proudly be an Iranian and be considered a terrorist by ignorant rednecks than be a coward and label myself "Persian" and die my hair blond like many of these "Persians" have done to avoid persecution or racism among many other things. iranians in the west have tarnished the title "Persian" more than IRI can ever do to "Iranian". When i talk of Persia i talk about history and our (potential) ancestors, Its no beauty or originality contest, Iran is just fine fer me  :dance:

View Post

ur a coward if ur called persian???? wot the f***???? :no: :no: :no: :no:
i dnt no any persians who have dyed their hair BLOND.....so wot u on about?!?!

#9 BoxCutter

BoxCutter

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:43 PM

To be quite honest i would rather proudly be an Iranian and be considered a terrorist by ignorant rednecks than be a coward and label myself "Persian" and die my hair blond like many of these "Persians" have done to avoid persecution or racism among many other things. iranians in the west have tarnished the title "Persian" more than IRI can ever do to "Iranian". When i talk of Persia i talk about history and our (potential) ancestors, Its no beauty or originality contest, Iran is just fine fer me  :dance:

View Post

ur a coward if ur called persian???? wot the f***???? :no: :no: :no: :no:
i dnt no any persians who have dyed their hair BLOND.....so wot u on about?!?!

View Post

Well sara maybe you should read into why Iranians outside of Iran and in particular Iranians in America call themselves "Persian" instead of calling themselves "Iranian" with all due respect, Perhaps the blonde remark was a bit over exaggerated and generalizing, I apoligize, It didnt come to my attention until someone made this remark to me and i started paying more attention to all of the (Minor) things. i realize the majority of iranians dont..however this is just one of the things ive noticed certain people do for the sake of "Fitting in".

#10 x)SaRa(x

x)SaRa(x

سارا

• Members:
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:19 PM

"with all due respect" boxcutter.....im not talking about iranians in america....i mean their are irooni's outside of that place u no! jeez! i dnt no about the irooni's near u but here in london they are themselves and dnt dye their hair to fit in...it must be something about america......but wot do i no! -_- -_- -_- -_- -_-

#11 GLTitan7

GLTitan7

Bia2 Semi Pro

• Members:
  • PipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  • Interests:Johnny Walker/Jack Daniels/Jameson <br />Best cure for a cold = Irish Wiskey<br />Vodka = Skool, Svedka, &amp; Absolut<br />I luv that sticky iky

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:24 PM

View Post

where do u liv Boxcutter.
Posted Image

HS to NIU 09'

Nader/1000

#12 ardish

ardish

Bia2 Rookie

• Members:
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:47 PM

View Post

where do u liv Boxcutter.

View Post

over here in the states no one calles eachother iranians ....they say there from iran ....but there called persians instead of iranians ..thats a good sign :D...but it should be PERSIA!!! hopefully in the future when our country is fixed and better it will be again PERSIA...
Posted Image

#13 Keano

Keano

***The Devilish King***

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,578 posts
  • Interests:Music,Soccer, Hocky, Gorgeous girls, Sex, Movies, Candle lights, romance, Tennis, Nature, Camping, Playstation and X Box and...

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:46 AM

Persia is pretty irrelevant!
I used to love it, though after studying alot and educating myself I learned that it's pretty selfish to call the entire nation Persia, simply because this country consists of so many different languages and ethnicities, and it obviously is very disrespectful to ignore them all and enforce our selfishness upon them!!!
I mean I could say just about 40-50% of Iran's population is Tork/Azari!!!

keano405.png

#14 Guest_arian_*

Guest_arian_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:56 PM

I agree with keano. i used to call it persia/persian too, but after reading on Iran alittle more i realize it's not right

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------

The people of Iran:

Persians 33,000,000 49%
Azeris 12,000,000 18%
Kurds 6,600,000 10%
Gilakis 3,700,000 6%
Lors 3,000,000 4%
Maz-anis 2,700,000 4%
Baluchis 1,600,000 2.4%
Arab s 1,600,000 2.4%
Bakhtiaris 1,300,000 1.9%
Turkmens 1,100,000 1.6%
Armenians 400,000 0.6%

See Persians only 49% Meanwhile all if these exept Turkmens & Arabs are Iranic people (some would say Azeris arent but i say they are)

I think Iran is more representative plus if Iranians are really worried about people not distinguing them from others, they should follow this advice :D

#15 khanoomi

khanoomi

Bia2 Addict

• Members:
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,505 posts
  • Interests:Love to dance and hang out with my friends!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:31 PM

i always used to say persian when ppl ask me where i am from but i try to say iranian after reading info(like u have aryan jan :k )
i love you all!

#16 DoKhTaR_TeHrAnI

DoKhTaR_TeHrAnI

Bia2 Addict

• Members:
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:12 AM

When people ask me what nationality i am i as Persian , then they say oh so you used to live in persia ? and im like No im from Iran . and thhhheeenn they are like oooh but i thought you said you were persian! LOOOooOOLL

#17 Guest_King_*

Guest_King_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:25 AM

90% of ppl that I know who call themselves "Persian" their main motive is "Lack of confidence"
Khaak bar sareshoon

Age shomaa haa ham be hamoon daleel migin persian then:

Khaak bar saretoon goosaalehaa :DD

#18 pourya

pourya

pourya@bia2.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,970 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:33 AM

lol some of these so called pure blooded Persians shift between being Iranians and Italians!lol

they have no idea that even in the ancient empire, Persians were one of the many tribes of the Iranians!

“Everything interests me, but nothing holds me.” — Fernando Pessoa

#19 Guest_Guest_Keano_*_*

Guest_Guest_Keano_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:41 AM

Simply lack of education and confidence!

#20 x)SaRa(x

x)SaRa(x

سارا

• Members:
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:32 PM

i call myself iranian......bcoz my family are mostly azeri.....i have persian heritage but i still say im iranian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users